MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
UFC 151 Cancelled, partial tear to the MCL in Dan Henderson's right knee   [View Full Version]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 >>
prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

UFC ?@ufc
Dana: "We've never ever had a fighter refuse to fight a guy... every day, crazy shit happens, here's a new crazy one for us."

So, I guess Dana was lying when Shogun turned down the Glover fight.

-------------------------

8 days is a little ridiculous to set up a new fight, especially a main event.

Shit happens. You wanna gain that respect you think you don't get.....here is how you do it. Sure he might lose but he runs that risk in every fight, short notice or not

You know what is REALLY ridiculous.....Jones turning down a fight that reults in a WHOLE card being canceled.

I'm not mad at you Twenty, just the situation. No disrespect bro

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

This absolutely blows im not a fan of fighters who turned down fights and now we have champions in 2 divisions who are doing so just sad in my opinion but if Anderson can do it why cant Jones.

This is what seperates GSP apart from other champs he fights whoever he is asked to and thats what a champion is suppose to do

jlock003 » Posted 9/18/07 5:33:00PM

UFC ?@ufc
Dana: "We've never ever had a fighter refuse to fight a guy... every day, crazy shit happens, here's a new crazy one for us."

So, I guess Dana was lying when Shogun turned down the Glover fight.

-------------------------

8 days is a little ridiculous to set up a new fight, especially a main event.

Jones is refusing to fight anyone man. Shogun did fight. That interview was intense!

I will grant you there weren't a lot of other guys on the table for Jones in 8 days though. It's not like he had several options.

airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

Props to Chael, for being ready to step up and fight one of the most talented fighters in the sport today. This is without even having a tune up fight or anything at LHW...my mind is boggled that Jones wouldn't accept this fight.

goheels » Posted 7/6/12 11:31:00AM

Jones is too scared to fight the gangster from wesleyan who hadn't been training and would have to cut weight on short notice?

While I don't want to get banned for comments about JJ at this point, major props for Sonnen to step up when no one else would.

ah, I can't resist. FU JJ

Posted by goheels

Jones is too scared to fight the gangster from West Linn who hadn't been training and would have to cut weight on short notice?

While I don't want to get banned for comments about JJ at this point, major props for Sonnen to step up when no one else would.

ah, I can't resist. FU JJ

Fixed

JWils » Posted 7/27/07 12:39:00PM

I would like to see the difference in the money lost for cancelling 151 & and the ppv money gained for 152 by having Jones vs. Machida.

The thing that gets me is Jones was just saying he didn't want to retire broke.....he would have made MORE cheddar had he taken this fight. More ppv buy (arguable) and extra cash from Dana. Chael even said if he accepted the figjht he would give Jones his purse (doubt that). I'm really at a loss for words.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

UFC shouldn't just rely on one fighter to have the card stay.

Make it free, broadcast it on facebook.

When was the last time a main event fight had to be put together on 8 days notice? I can't remember that far back.

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

Hell yeah, way to go Jonny. screw the company, the fans, and all the fighters on the card.

Hillbilly » Posted 6/13/08 7:06:00AM

Why are they dumping it all on Jones? Have they never had a main event fighter get injured before? It isn't Jones fault that the card was too weak to carry itself without him on it.

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

From my perspective, it appears that Jones is behaving like a coward with this decision.

Any time a fight is turned down, I think it seems a bit cowardly.

I DO NOT think Chael deserved to fight Jones even though he was eager, but I think Jones should have jumped at the chance to punish Chael for his insolence.
Yeah, that's the kind of champ I'd prefer.

I

Posted by Hillbilly

Why are they dumping it all on Jones? Have they never had a main event fighter get injured before? It isn't Jones fault that the card was too weak to carry itself without him on it.

Agreed.

It didn't look like a good card on paper, but sometimes they turn out good.

But, maybe Dana should have tried something else other than 1 option of Jones getting a new fight or no card.

Just have someone else face Sonnen on 8 days as the main event.

Tim Sylvia vs Sonnen

jlock003 » Posted 9/18/07 5:33:00PM

UFC shouldn't just rely on one fighter to have the card stay.

Make it free, broadcast it on facebook.

When was the last time a main event fight had to be put together on 8 days notice? I can't remember that far back.

I can't prop, gotta spread the love, but I generally prop if a guy makes a valid comment that's going to be very unpopular. Well said. As far as the last time it's happened it was probably a fight Franklin stepped up for be it the Wandy fight, the Chuck fight or maybe Belfort, but quite honestly I'm not sure the timing. I know Leben took a really short notice fight...thinking maybe that was a spike tv main event?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 >>

[View Full Version of this Page]