MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Former UFC Fighter James McSweeney Stops Knife Wielding Thief in Las Vegas   [View Full Version]
Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

What McSweeney didn’t know when the night started however is that he would eventually have to turn hero when a thief decided to put a stop to their family fun.

“My family’s in town right now in Las Vegas, and they wanted to go down to old town Las Vegas last night, down on Fremont street, just check out the big TV screens and stuff down there. So they wanted to get some souvenirs so they went into one of the stores there, and as they walked I saw these two guys that looked like they were drunk, but they wasn’t really, they were just arguing. So the cashier went over to stop them from arguing cause the store was packed full of women and children, people there shopping,” McSweeney explained when speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Thursday.

“As they started to break it up one of the guys made a dash for the cash, the box behind the counter, and grabbed a handful of cash out and then pulled a knife out on the lady in front of everybody.”

According to McSweeney, the thief pulled a knife with a 3 or 4 inch blade and pointed it directly at the cashier who was trying to stop the robbery.

Unfortunately for this thief, McSweeney, who worked in security in his home town of London, England for nearly a decade, was standing close by and decided to intervene.

MMAWEEKLY

sorry if not appropriate forum. i wasnt sure where this belonged so stuck it here.

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

I actually moved it to the News section.

Is it just me or has there been a flood of fighters doing something heroic lately? Seems like I just heard about another one or two just this past week.

Wallass » Posted 10/7/08 5:39:00PM

I was never a fan of this guy but I am now. Good for McSweeney for showing little regard for his own safety and doing what was right!

Posted by grappler0000

Is it just me or has there been a flood of fighters doing something heroic lately? Seems like I just heard about another one or two just this past week.

Reza Madadi's was just a few days ago i believe. I remember Nick Ring rescuing someone around May but not too sure of the details.

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Bet his first instinct was to throw a kick.

scoozna » Posted 1/25/07 12:53:00PM

Props to McSweeney. I will allow this good deed to expunge the bad name given to MMA this week by Mayhem. I have decreed it so, by executive order.

SpiderSilva » Posted 7/10/07 6:44:00PM

Lucky it wasn't Travis browne doing the robery or mcsweeney might have been thrown across the store.

I heard some bad stories about the gym he opened. It closed within a year and they treated their like poo.

He did make a quick move to Vegas

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

Posted by grappler0000

I think it's a pretty consistent thing that's been going on for a long time. Just off of the top of my head I can list Anthony Hardonk, Goran Relic, Mark Kerr, Nick Ring, Jon Jones, Reza Madadi, and this. I know I've heard of a lot more, too.

I don't follow any other sports closely enough to know, but I've never heard of any sport that has had such a huge number of people stop crimes and save lives. Makes me proud to be an MMA fan.

Gogoplatapus » Posted 7/24/09 6:01:00PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by grappler0000

I think it's a pretty consistent thing that's been going on for a long time. Just off of the top of my head I can list Anthony Hardonk, Goran Relic, Mark Kerr, Nick Ring, Jon Jones, Reza Madadi, and this. I know I've heard of a lot more, too.

I don't follow any other sports closely enough to know, but I've never heard of any sport that has had such a huge number of people stop crimes and save lives. Makes me proud to be an MMA fan.

Fighters aren't scared of confrontations like normal people are is what I'm thinking. So they'd be far more likely to take action.

Maybe MMA is a natural progression for peace in the human race.

Maybe I'm baked and reaching.

[View Full Version of this Page]