MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA Playground Game Talk
Re-evaluation of the "No Fighter Bashing" rule.   [View Full Version]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

Posted by aussiemma

i don't think calling michael bisping a douche is fighter bashing. Is hard to say where to draw the line though.

I would agree with this, the truth is the truth.

I think everything can be done with class. I have had my moments of bashing, but I usually just get caught up in the moment and apologize for it later. I think the rule is fine where its at.

bichez » Posted 5/24/09 2:53:00PM

Been there, done that. It is definitely a sticky subject. I would stay away from that one however I am pretty sure you will get a warning before you get banned. The mods are a lot more laid back nowadays.

BelXavier420 » Posted 11/22/08 5:34:00AM

Posted by bichez

Been there, done that. It is definitely a sticky subject. I would stay away from that one however I am pretty sure you will get a warning before you get banned. The mods are a lot more laid back nowadays.

Opps looks like my wife forgot to log out of her account.. I was suppose to have posted that incase any one was completely confused :).

kopower » Posted 7/3/07 12:31:00AM

I think it's fair to call out a fighter on a shitty fight. Just stop there though. No name calling. Example: Fighter A looked slow, and unprepared. He gassed terribly, and looked like shit. I think we can comment on a performance, and that's it.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

You’re allowed to question a fighter’s heart, integrity, cardio, Skill set......as long as you have facts to back up your claim. A perfect example would be the Reem. A year ago it would have been a no to call him out and say he is a liar and a cheat he obviously is on the gas. But it is no fair for you to say that as its been proven he lied about the horse meat he did "cheat" by using roids. Schlemenko is in the loop to be able to make those claims he also isn't part of this site. You on the other hand have very limited access to fight camps and fighter medical records so for you to claim that fighters are faking injuries to get better match ups would be purely speculation.

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

First of all, the rules about bashing have loosened up some. Making a comment that isn't over the top(as per the mods discretion), or saying something in a funny/sarcastic way is pretty much allowed now. If other posters complain about a post that's bashing then we will look into it every time.

Secondly, Shlemenko is a fighter. He gets in the cage for a living so that guy calling others out is worth a helluva lot more than some guy sitting behind his keyboard. That really shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Someone that posts on here and has shown in the past that they know what they're talking about will usually be allowed to slide more than a new poster, someone that's constantly bashing, or someone that has shown that their knowledge of the sport is somewhat limited. These things are what the mods consider when using their discretion.

Some good rules of thumb to follow when criticizing a fighter are:

Would most people be offended by this?
Do I really have any basis or background on this to base my opinion on?
Has the fighter I'm criticizing shown a pattern of what I'm talking about?
Does it hurt my feelings when someone calls me out and criticizes me?

I'll end on this note: If you really feel the need to trash fighters when discussing MMA, there are plenty of sites that allow that.

jjeans » Posted 9/2/09 6:06:00AM

Posted by aussiemma

i don't think calling michael bisping a douche is fighter bashing. Is hard to say where to draw the line though.

If you don't have anything nice to say don't say it. If you have to say it visit another forum.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

MuayThaiGeek13 » Posted 12/28/11 3:18:00PM

Not sure if I even understand the rule completely regardless I don't see the point in trash talking our heros. Critisizism on the other hand, is in a different realm...atleast you had something debate worthy to bring up. must spread love KFM

scoozna » Posted 1/25/07 12:53:00PM

I respectfully disagree with KFM that the rule needs to change. As Cowcatcher elucidated, and as my own experience has shown, you can make disparaging comments about fighters where you have a basis for it and you are not simply speculating.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

so basically you want all of us to read your theories of fight fixing and how much you hate _____. The rules are fine as it is. Go to sherdog and see how much you can get away with. I got double yellows over there for posting "Mir's a dick. Go Nelson."

If you want to write things outside the rules of this site, create your own blog and write whatever you want.

btw you are jeopardizing its growth by not being a premium member

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

Posted by scoozna

I respectfully disagree with KFM that the rule needs to change. As Cowcatcher elucidated, and as my own experience has shown, you can make disparaging comments about fighters where you have a basis for it and you are not simply speculating.

Vitor Belfort vs Anthony Johnson

To me, Johnson looked like he was in control of the fight if you know what I mean. I said something a little bit more to that degree in the spoilers thread and I was told to stop. I was prop-ed once or twice for making that accusation but neither of the posters who prop-ed me were willing to post how they felt on the boards. To this day, I still believe something shady happened in that fight but I can't openly state it and it's frustrating as a fan to watch and not be able to dwell on some of the possibilities.

I don't like to bash fighters at all; I just want to be able to speculate within reason of course.

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

Not sure if I even understand the rule completely regardless I don't see the point in trash talking our heros. Critisizism on the other hand, is in a different realm...atleast you had something debate worthy to bring up. must spread love KFM

I'm not concerned with bashing fighters; I don't like to do that... I'm more focused on being able to speculate about whether or not a fight was thrown and things of that nature.

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

I'm not concerned with bashing fighters; I don't like to do that... I'm more focused on being able to speculate about whether or not a fight was thrown and things of that nature.

You have to consider that it's a sport, and especially that it's MMA. In all sports there are seemingly miraculous comebacks, and even more so when it's a sport like MMA where one punch or TD can change the tide of a fight dramatically. At the level of the UFC, where one bad performance can cost a guy his job, and when he only can count on getting a check a few times a year tops, do you really think guys are willing to throw fights?

In the case of Rumble/Vitor, you have to realize what a toll weight cutting takes on the body, especially for a guy like Johnson that cuts huge amounts of weight for a fight. Cutting 10 pounds the day before a fight can take a toll, imagine cutting 30. Speculation like that is silly, and that's the nice word for it. It doesn't have a place on these boards.

I will add that I'm sure fighters drop fights intentionally in smaller organizations, ie Bob Sapp, so it's not like it never happens, but it just doesn't make sense for it to happen in the UFC just like it doesn't make sense in the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. There's no reason to throw fights at that level because it can ruin a career. I don't see many fighters willing to take that chance, and the UFC for sure doesn't want that happening on their watch, nor would they promote that happening. It would be suicide for them as an organization in this day and age where information flows so freely.

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

So now KFM wants to be able to say who is throwing fights?

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

My rule on fighter bashing: If you can't say anything nice, say it in your camp forum.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

[View Full Version of this Page]