MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
UFC on Fox 4 bonuses (and analysis) - Lauzon, Swick, Varner   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
isk » Posted 12/5/07 12:38:00PM

Article link

LOS ANGELES – Joe Lauzon, Mike Swick and Jamie Varner each earned $50,000 bonus awards for their performances at Saturday's "UFC on FOX: Shogun vs. Vera" event.

Swick earned the "Knockout of the Night" award, Lauzon and Varner each earned "Fight of the Night" awards and Lauzon even double-dipped with a "Submission of the Night" bonus and took home $100,000 in total.

My thoughts on the card -

Another fun fight from Shogun, though I'm not sure I saw a lot here that wasn't there before. Lest we forget, he also tried to take down Machida in their second fight, with Machida easily defending and ending up on top. He admitted he gassed in between the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and it seemed like he fought like he did against Hendo.

I don't mean that as a bash on Shogun, but it seems like we know what we're going to get from him right now. The Shogun who showed up tonight would be mauled by Jones, and maybe by Machida as well. That said, he's obviously still a top guy. If he can resolve his cardio (and suspected knee) issues, I think he'll be a bit scarier. His chin continues to hold up, but eventually it's gonna give out and that'll be tragic with a middling cardio.

Just after the fight, Joe Silva came up to Vera and said, "hell of a fight, man." I can't disagree - Vera showed tons of heart up until that last exchange - and I don't blame him there, either. A solid left hook knocked the mouthpiece out of place, and after that, Shogun picked his shots and finished it as he can.

Still, I think Vera belongs in the UFC as well. This may have been Vera's last chance at the title, with him turning 35 later this year, but I think he can be an excellent mid- to high-level guy to fill in on any card. His real issue seems to be a combination involving cardio and aggression - he had a few openings he just didn't take tonight, especially while on the ground, and that's what'll eventually keep him from a belt.

Other thoughts -

--Ryan Bader, this is what we call a trend. Running through punches is not a viable strategy, and all the power and speed in the world won't compensate for boxing like a schoolyard bully. Granted, this is to take nothing away from Lyoto Machida, who looked super sharp and confident. Part of it was a style mismatch, right, like coming in I didn't think Bader had anything for Machida at all, but this just proved that Bader needs a dramatic change. New camp, new striking coach, whatever - he just can't keep bullrushing and expect to get a title. As for Machida, I still favor Jones in a rematch, but I still think it's questionable enough to be interesting and I like his chances against Hendo, too (should that upset happen).

--Joe Lauzon and Jamie Varner was another fight that played out like I expected. Varner has this thing to where if an opponent can weather his initial swarm, he fades a bit. Bear in mind this is a guy who looks swole at 170, so cutting down to 155 needs to be managed better. Dolce Diet, perhaps? Meanwhile, Lauzon fought a smart fight, pacing himself and employing controlled aggression to wear down Varner while burning his cardio efficiently. Good, fun fight.

--To me, Mike Swick absolutely had the KO of the night. He still needs to work on his straight punches, because I think he'd be a crazy good striker if he worked on his jab, but that punch coming down on Johnson was highlight reel perfect. As for DaMarques, he'll likely get to the point to where a string of losses will lead to a cut, but that's okay. In the meantime, he'll show up and get paid and keep mixing it up.

--Phil Davis and Wagner Prado should rematch. That's it.

--Josh Grispi might be the new holder of the most unfortunate nickname in MMA. His post-fight interview reinforced that he's a smart, talented guy, but for some reason he just doesn't seem to be able to put it all together. Let him go on the regional circuit, or over to Japan, let him get some more experience because he's still super young, and then we'll see what happens.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Lauzon has won quite a few bonuses.

frizzzlecake » Posted 5/25/12 8:57:00PM

Does that give Lauzon the most OTN Bonuses?

Regardless love watchin' J-Lau looks like he improved his gas tank.

DrivenDavies15 » Posted 8/10/11 1:23:00AM

Kinda thought Rua/Vera deserved FOTN but I guess they needed to make up for Lauzon missing his bonus last time lol.

I think it's safe to say that everyone on the main card (and even some of the prelims) will be getting undisclosed bonuses. Great fights overall, especially for free TV.

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Thought it was UFC on Fox 4

Great night of fights. Better then the past few ppvs imo

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

Yahya should've gotten SOTN IMO. That was an excellent submission, rare, and a weird variation of it.

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Posted by Aether

Yahya should've gotten SOTN IMO. That was an excellent submission, rare, and a weird variation of it.

Agreed.

It's a popularity contest I'm telling you

Shame

kopower » Posted 7/3/07 12:31:00AM

Great night of fights. J-Lau's gas tank looked real good tonight. Thought he would gas for sure.

Rua is getting up there in age, and has taken a tremendous amount of damage the past few years. He still has an incredible chin, and will to win.

Vera really surprised me tonight. He went all out, and if it were an opponent with a lesser chin, he probably would have pulled out a W. Haven't seen that Brandon in a while.

Nice comeback fight for Swick. He looked a bit rusty, but good to see he still has finishing power.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Posted by kopower

Rua is getting up there in age

He's only 30, bro!

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Kinda thought Rua/Vera deserved FOTN but I guess they needed to make up for Lauzon missing his bonus last time lol.

Rua, Vera, and Varner gassed but Varner still kept up a decent pace while Rua/Vera lacked in action at times due to exaustion.

EDIT: And I know Rua/Vera made it to the 4th round, but Rua was gassed baaad after the 1st. lol

infestructure » Posted 1/18/12 9:29:00PM

Posted by george112

Posted by Aether

Agreed.

It's a popularity contest I'm telling you

Shame

I know . How often do you see a north south choke? Yahya was robbed.

deck15 » Posted 12/2/08 11:45:00PM

Its rare to see a prelim fight to get a bonus unless the main card doesnt pan its just the nature of the fight game.

tmas » Posted 6/15/07 2:09:00AM

great nigh tof fights really impressed with Vera i said coming into the fight i thought he could strike with Rua and i was right, Rua didnt really want to stand and trade with im, and i agree had it been someone with less of a chin he would have won easy, he had Rua hurt but Rua just has a crazy awesome chin.

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]