MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Lyoto Machida willing to drop to middleweight 'if Dana White makes a good fight'   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

The UFC on Fox 4: "Shogun vs. Vera" weigh-in event took place earlier today (Fri., Aug. 3, 2012) at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, and featured all 20 fighters scheduled to compete on tomorrow night's card successfully making weight without issue.

That's not the story, though. The story is just how far under the weight limit a certain fighter came in at.

I'm talking, of course, about Lyoto Machida, who will participant in the co-main event of the evening in a showdown against Ryan Bader. "The Dragon," looking like he's in phenomenal shape, tipped the scales at 201-pounds.

Immediately, there was speculation regarding why it would be that Machida would come in a full four pounds (five, technically) under the contracted limit. Ariel Helwani got the word from the man himself on FUEL TV:

"I always walk around at 205, 210 maximum. I don't worry about this. I keep my diet all year round."

Makes sense, I suppose. The next logical question is whether or not the Karate master is considering a drop to middleweight. His answer:

"Maybe, if Dana White makes a good fight and invites me, I will."

link

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

some fun matchups & he'd make it quite easily

UFC 151: Never Forget

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

While i think Weidman can give Anderson big trouble, i think Machida has a style that would destroy Weidman.

aussiemma » Posted 1/27/12 10:34:00PM

Posted by Pookie

While i think Weidman can give Anderson big trouble, i think Machida has a style that would destroy Weidman.

not being a dick but could you explain..are you saying that because machida destroyed rashad who has similiar mma wrestling to weidman ?

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Pookie

not being a dick but could you explain..are you saying that because machida destroyed rashad who has similiar mma wrestling to weidman ?

I can't be sure what, precisely, Pookie meant, but I agree that Machida has a good chance against Weidman.

Machida's defensive wrestling is really good, and his striking is accurate.

He did beat Rashad. He also beat Tito. Both known for their wrestling.

He also beat Randy, although Randy was old.

I think Machida would beat Weidman because Weidman would have difficulty taking Machida down, and Machida's striking is better than Weidmans, imo.

However, Machida is still a bit of a mystery to me since he has some fights where he starts way too slow and never really uses much aggression (such as the Rampage fight).

aussiemma » Posted 1/27/12 10:34:00PM

i agree about machida being a mystery...but weidman is scary good right now,i just couldn't picture him getting destroyed by anyone let alone machida.

infestructure » Posted 1/18/12 9:29:00PM

Posted by aussiemma

i agree about machida being a mystery...but weidman is scary good right now,i just couldn't picture him getting destroyed by anyone let alone machida.

Damn I wanted to quote and reply to almost everyone in this thread. I don't know how so I'll just give a to Pookie for what he said, and reply to Aussiemma. Machida has always been a mystery, but that's what makes him a draw. Hes beaten Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture, Rashad Evans, Stephen Bonnar, Thiago Silva, Sam Greco, Rameu Thierry Soukoudjou and Michael McDonald and he nearly beat Jon Jones in the stand up before he got choked out. All I'm saying is I wouldn't count Lyoto out. The guy drinks his own piss. I'm drunk as fuck. Goodnight.

He beat Rampage too.

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

There is no doubt he is a solid fighter. I could see him doing well at 185.

40ouncetofreedom » Posted 3/29/09 4:31:00PM

Some interesting fights at 185 for sure,But if Davis and Machida both win tonight,I'd like to see them fight first at 205.I think they were rumored to fight before ?.Machida does have solid TDD but i think Davis and Weidman for that matter could get him on his back.

Machida Vs Bisping,Could end like Hendo Bisping,I'd be ok with that,Nah i don't mind Bisping he plays the role well,But seems like a pretty decent dude.

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

I'm curious to know what Machida considers a good fight for him at MW.

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

Posted by sparky

Anderson Silva money

40ouncetofreedom » Posted 3/29/09 4:31:00PM

Machida Vs Chael,I know Chael talked some shit on him awhile back "that karate guy".

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

the only way machida beats weidman is by UD.

and honestly I can't see that happening. His elusive countering has been figured out. He is still a damn good fighter and I am a fan but just don't see him being THAT competitive at mw

airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by sparky

Anderson Silva money

100% what I was thinking, as I can't imagine him fighting for the title against Anderson.

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

Let's go piss boy, bring your C-game.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]