MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Ed Soares vetoes Jon Jones and Chris Weidman Fights; Open to Nick Diaz   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

We're still far away from finding out UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva's next opponent.

But on Wednesday, Silva's manager, Ed Soares, emphatically stated he doesn't think a bout with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is the right fight to make.

Speaking with reporters at the UFC on FOX 4 open workouts at the JW Marriott hotel in downtown Los Angeles, Soares ridiculed the notion of making a champion vs. champion superfight.

"I don't think it's a good fight," Soares said. "I think No. 1, Jon Jones, said he doesn't want the fight, and Anderson said he doesn't want the fight. What is it going to do for Jones if he goes go down in weight to fight Anderson? If he loses it's going to ruin him. If Anderson Silva moves up in weight and fights Jon Jones, here's a lighter guy who's going to take my title? C'mon dude.

LINK

So Soares doesnt want Silva fighting a bigger opponent, but is all for Diaz fighting a bigger opponent in Silva?

No to the 205 and 185 fighters, but yes to the 170. Sure Ed makes sense.

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

Well done, Ed. So no one is impressed with Weidman from Silva's camp? Who else does Weidman have to beat? The entire division? Virtually any fight besides a title fight is a step back in Weidman's career progression. There's a lot of tough fighters out there right now at 185, some that could be a lateral move... But why do that? Weidman has faced tougher competition nearly every time he fights, and he hasn't even looked challenged yet. He needs the champ.

crushedbacon » Posted 6/11/07 6:31:00PM

Silva's fighting Weidman. Next up, or the one after. I think it's inevitable... and I can't wait. Weidman's performance against Munoz was down right scary.

I found this to be hilarious....

Helwani INT W/Silva's Manager

meier » Posted 1/15/07 6:25:00PM

Ed Soares = M1

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Posted by meier

Ed Soares = M1

Haha pretty damn close

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

so lets put some context to this.. ed douchares comes out last week saying the MW contenders are bunch of kids right now but will take a fight with a guy coming off a lose and has never fought at anything bigger than WW and is 7-5 in the ufc.... thats a joke just like soars.

KingCmb » Posted 3/19/09 8:18:00AM

he can do that ??? the ufc should vetoe ed soars

tmas » Posted 6/15/07 2:09:00AM

Anderson has 1 maybe two fights left in him. It makes zero since to fight someone like weidman at this point in his career couldn't sell a free million dollars he needs a big name like Diaz for a big payday the exact same reason, Diaz wants the fight

Who really knows how many fights he has left, he's not one deaths door and said he wanted 6 more fights in the UFC

Dberntson » Posted 6/16/09 12:09:00PM

Posted by Shawn91111

So Soares doesnt want Silva fighting a bigger opponent, but is all for Diaz fighting a bigger opponent in Silva?

No to the 205 and 185 fighters, but yes to the 170. Sure Ed makes sense.

Even worse, earlier he was calling out GSP, a smaller opponent coming off major knee surgery who has had over a year layoff, and who already has 1 fight lined up and an additional 2 likely opponents after the Condit fight line up, including Diaz.

Someone please explain what motivation GSP would have to fight Silva that is different then Silva fighting Jones? There's none. GSP is a bigger PPV draw by himself then Silva is. GSP already has a number of money fights in his own weight class set, assuming he comes back as good as before.

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

there is just to many people to fight in his own weight class to be putting together these other super fights. there's at least 4 guys i want silva to fight at MW before he retires. weidman needs to be next.

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Who really knows how many fights he has left, he's not one deaths door and said he wanted 6 more fights in the UFC

Yeah that was all before he saw Weidman damn near kill Munoz though.

Silva had Munoz at Blackhouse in-between fights with Sonnen. I think he knew what Munoz had, watched him catch the kind of ass beating the likes of which Silva himself is accustomed to doling out, and probably thought he wanted no part of what Weidman's got.

crushedbacon » Posted 6/11/07 6:31:00PM

Posted by tmas

Anderson has 1 maybe two fights left in him. It makes zero since to fight someone like weidman at this point in his career couldn't sell a free million dollars he needs a big name like Diaz for a big payday the exact same reason, Diaz wants the fight

I don't care how many fights Silva has left. He's the Middleweight Champion, his job is to fight the most qualified contenders in the middleweight division for the title. Not trying to score fights with welterweights that have big names.

Chuteboxer » Posted 3/24/07 2:47:00PM

Posted by crushedbacon

Posted by tmas

I don't care how many fights Silva has left. He's the Middleweight Champion, his job is to fight the most qualified contenders in the middleweight division for the title. Not trying to score fights with welterweights that have big names.

Exactly. I'm so tired of some of these fighters or their management trying to handpick their careers. I'm pretty sure (although someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) Liddell never handpicked a fight, aside from Wanderlei. Rich Franklin, as the previous MW champ, didn't seem to handpick his fights either. I just don't get it. Either you try and win in glorious fashion, or lose to the better man and work your way back up to a rematch. So what the hell is so hard about doing that these days?

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]