MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Michael Bisping: Win over 'fat' Mark Munoz does not make Chris Weidman a contender   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Via [Michael Bisping's] Twitter account:

Weidman looked great last night. But no1 contender? If that's the case I want to fight him and prove I'm the number 1 contender. Let's do it.

Oh, but the brash Brit didn't stop there, not by a longshot. Make the jump to see what he told Fighters Only about the current state of the UFC's middleweight talent pool and the recent plethora of call outs he has received:

Yeah it seems like I am the man of the moment right now doesn't it? That's fine by me, I'm a professional fighter and I've not been busy enough lately to be honest so, I will happily fight all three of them - Stann, Weidman and Belcher can all have it. I've got no problem fighting and beating all three of them, either on three consecutive cards or all on one night if they want. Listen, Belcher's getting on my nerves. He keeps saying he has got the style to beat me - what style? No man with a tattoo like that can talk to anyone about style! He's been calling me out for a while now so I'd say to him, when you beat someone other than a pure jiu jitsu guy then call me. Brian Stann I respect, fine, I think we are on collision course and we can have that fight. I'll win. And now Chris Weidman is calling me out. Well, he's on a roll but I don't think a win over a fat Mark Munoz makes you a contender. Especially when Munoz has bounced into the Octagon like he's at a Take That concert and with a haircut that looks like Belcher's tattooist has switched careers. Did that distract him? It distracted me. I couldn't take my eyes off it. What was it supposed to be, do you know? Everyone's talking about Weidman today but I tell you what, we were on the same card in January and I had to switch his fight with Maia off. I was trying to warm up backstage and the fight was putting me to sleep. I wanted to get hyped up and it was like watching paint dry. He looked good last night - or did Munoz look awful? They all seem like nice guys, good luck to them - except Belcher, he's been getting on my nerves so lets not include him [in the good luck wishes] - but I will happily fight them all, no problem. I want to be the champion and I think I am one more win away from a title shot. And any of these guys can be my first defences.

link

bojangalz » Posted 5/25/07 9:00:00PM

Yeah, Bisping looked better against Chael than anyone outside of Anderson in the last 2 1/2 years. But he still lost that fight. I'm sorry, I don't get where the Brit really has any push for a title shot. Who is his best win at 185- Dan Miller over 2 years ago? (Cause it ain't Jason Miller, that notion can be dropped right away) I'd have to hop in the time machine to look at the rankings going into each of Count's fights, but I'm pretty sure he has never beaten a true top-10 Middleweight.

The only argument for giving Bisping a title shot comes from the marketing standpoint. He runs his mouth and would make a good foil for Silva. Not to Mention the fact that Zuffa could pack Wembly Stadium in the UK, or a soccer stadium in Brazil and cash in big. But in terms of actual achievement within the division I'd say Weidman's win over Munoz, and Belcher's win over Palhares are easily more impressive than anything on Bisping's resume'.

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Michael "The King of Bullshit" Bisping. Hell, go ahead and let Weidman have a go at em.

lll-lll » Posted 7/13/07 10:19:00AM

The only thing getting The Count close to a title shot is his mouth. It sure isnt his wins. Look at the guys he is discussing. Where is Chael? Where is Maia? Munoz? Belfort? Where is his calling out of these guys? Looks to me like he is pulling a Donald Cerrone, trying to stir beef with people in the division he thinks he can beat. He flat out seems like a cherry picker to me. He knows he is limited and he wants to pick out guys that he matches up well against. Trying to Dan Hardy his way to the title shot, then we can watch him get owned just like Hardy did.

The reality is that Bisping has made a fool of himself against anyone he has ever fought worth a damn. I mean couldnt beat a over the hill/weak chinned Wanderlei or a 40+ YO Dan Henderson? Hendo was a tailor made fight for him and he was winning right up until the big right hand. Yet he choked and choked big time biggest HBomb of all time

aussiemma » Posted 1/27/12 10:34:00PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Michael "The King of Bullshit" Bisping. Hell, go ahead and let Weidman have a go at em.

hey take it easy on bisping he is an authentic, profound and intelligent young man.

bigrand826 » Posted 4/29/11 7:01:00PM

Posted by lll-lll

The only thing getting The Count close to a title shot is his mouth. It sure isnt his wins. Look at the guys he is discussing. Where is Chael? Where is Maia? Munoz? Belfort? Where is his calling out of these guys? Looks to me like he is pulling a Donald Cerrone, trying to stir beef with people in the division he thinks he can beat. He flat out seems like a cherry picker to me. He knows he is limited and he wants to pick out guys that he matches up well against. Trying to Dan Hardy his way to the title shot, then we can watch him get owned just like Hardy did.

The reality is that Bisping has made a fool of himself against anyone he has ever fought worth a damn. I mean couldnt beat a over the hill/weak chinned Wanderlei or a 40+ YO Dan Henderson? Hendo was a tailor made fight for him and he was winning right up until the big right hand. Yet he choked and choked big time biggest HBomb of all time

I'm with most on Bisping. He runs his mouth and thinks he's done more than he really has. However, he is a good fighter. I thought he did express that he wanted a rematch with Chael. Maia is at 170, so why would he call him out? He just dogged Munoz who is coming off a brutal loss, so why would he call him out if he is trying to get a title shot in a fight or two? Belfort is injured, but I don't know if he will be ready to go around the time Bisping will be. That one I can understand if the timing works out. He called out Belcher who is looking pretty good, but maybe that is just because Belcher was calling him out? Oh, and you think Cerrone is cherry picking? I never got that impression.

Bisping has lost to every top guy he's fought, but he's beaten at least a couple fighters that are 'worth a damn'. And the Wanderlei fight was close. Also, I think Hendo was only 38 at the time of the Bisping fight.... I know, nit-picking. As I remember the fight, Bisping was winning, but I made that statement a while back on a different forum topic and a lot of people disagree. Someone even posted some 1st round scorecards from a couple of mma sites and they all had Hendo winning the first round.

Anyway, I know I am nit-picking a bit, and I'm certainly no Bisping fan, but I feel like a lot of people don't give him his due as a fighter because of their dislike for him. It is understandable because he does talk a lot of nonsense and seems to have a much higher opinion of himself than anyone else, but all but a select few MWs would have lost to the guys he's lost to.

In the end, yes, he needs to actually beat a couple of top MWs (rather than just have a couple of close losses) before he is worthy of a title shot.

bigrand826 » Posted 4/29/11 7:01:00PM

Posted by bojangalz

Yeah, Bisping looked better against Chael than anyone outside of Anderson in the last 2 1/2 years. But he still lost that fight. I'm sorry, I don't get where the Brit really has any push for a title shot. Who is his best win at 185- Dan Miller over 2 years ago? (Cause it ain't Jason Miller, that notion can be dropped right away) I'd have to hop in the time machine to look at the rankings going into each of Count's fights, but I'm pretty sure he has never beaten a true top-10 Middleweight.

The only argument for giving Bisping a title shot comes from the marketing standpoint. He runs his mouth and would make a good foil for Silva. Not to Mention the fact that Zuffa could pack Wembly Stadium in the UK, or a soccer stadium in Brazil and cash in big. But in terms of actual achievement within the division I'd say Weidman's win over Munoz, and Belcher's win over Palhares are easily more impressive than anything on Bisping's resume'.

I looked at this a while back and depending on the rankings you look at, I think the highest ranked guy he has beaten was Leben. I think a the time, Leben was right around #15, so it is debatable whether he's ever beaten even a top 15 MW.

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Bisping has beaten NO ONE relevant to the title.

Maybe he should be put in his place again via weidman via another H Bomb

Dberntson » Posted 6/16/09 12:09:00PM

The only way Bisping wins his next fight and gets a title shot is if the UFC offers up a softball fight for marketing and the all mighty dollar. Softballs - Wanderlei rematch (he should win a rematch), Franklin (good fighter but I think Bisping would stay on the outside and out point him), Cung Lee (not top 10, but the UFC doesn't seem to care in the Bisping hype train - in England). Belfort, belcher, Lombard and Weidman all stomp Bisping.

Posted by Dberntson

The only way Bisping wins his next fight and gets a title shot is if the UFC offers up a softball fight for marketing and the all mighty dollar. Softballs - Wanderlei rematch (he should win a rematch), Franklin (good fighter but I think Bisping would stay on the outside and out point him), Cung Lee (not top 10, but the UFC doesn't seem to care in the Bisping hype train - in England). Belfort, belcher, Lombard and Weidman all stomp Bisping.

I agree with everything except maybe bisping out pointing Franklin. I think it would be the opposite . Franklin out pointing bisping. Way more well rounded imo

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Posted by george112

At middleweight, most top ten fighters tend not to have many top ten wins (and right now, half of the Playground's top ten actually have zero wins over current top ten competitors - Belfort, Bisping, Munoz, Lombard, and Belcher). Most of the time when two top ten fighters are matched up against each other - Weidman vs. Munoz, Boetsch vs. Lombard, Bisping vs. Stann or Bisping vs. Belcher - it is used to determine a direct title contender or somebody that is sitting one fight away. And that's Bisping's problem; he is a top-ten caliber guy that has not been able to beat a top ten fighter, so he always ends up just one fight outside of getting that title shot. But that still makes Bisping relevant; after all, he is just one or two fights away from a title shot pretty much always.

Posted by lohmann

Posted by george112

At middleweight, most top ten fighters tend not to have many top ten wins (and right now, half of the Playground's top ten actually have zero wins over current top ten competitors - Belfort, Bisping, Munoz, Lombard, and Belcher). Most of the time when two top ten fighters are matched up against each other - Weidman vs. Munoz, Boetsch vs. Lombard, Bisping vs. Stann or Bisping vs. Belcher - it is used to determine a direct title contender or somebody that is sitting one fight away. And that's Bisping's problem; he is a top-ten caliber guy that has not been able to beat a top ten fighter, so he always ends up just one fight outside of getting that title shot. But that still makes Bisping relevant; after all, he is just one or two fights away from a title shot pretty much always.

True .

But I never said he was the one irrelevant.
I was referring to his competition who he has won against not being relevant in the title picture. Thus making him pretty unworthy of a title shot at the current moment. However you did state he is a couple of fights away and I totally agree with that. Even one fight away if he can dominately beat a big name

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

All BIsping does when he opens his mouth is piss people off and sound stupid. His continuous request for title shots make me sick. Anytime he gets in a big fight he loses. He needs a few wins to get there I think. Let him fight Weidman. Weidman will finish him any way IMO.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Baby Bisping needs his bottle and his blanky.

NE-1 » Posted 4/26/07 10:47:00AM

I can't stand Bisping, but I must admit I lold at his comments here. At least they were funny.

I agree that Munoz looked fat. He looked to be in pretty bad shape IMO. The comment about Belcher's tattoo artist was funny also.

All things considered, I still want to see him get punched in the face. Nice rant though.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]