MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
“A Lotta Late!” UFC Pres Dana White Critical of Munoz vs. Weidman’s Late Stoppage   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Fighter safety is solely in the hands of the referee while inside the cage during any combat sport, and referee Josh Rosenthal failed Mark Munoz at UFC on Fuel TV 4: Munoz vs. Weidman on Wednesday night, according to UFC president Dana White.

During the second round of the main event, Munoz unloaded a wild right hand and in the process was caught by a well-placed, right elbow by Chris Weidman that hurt the middleweight contender. Munoz fell to the canvas and Weidman followed him. Weidman delivered several unanswered blows before referee Rosenthal stepped in to stop the slaughter.

Munoz was face down on the canvas eating right hand after right hand, unable to defend himself.

The referee’s primary objective is to protect the competitors, but on Wednesday, a referee failed a fighter in the main event on Fuel TV.

“It was a bad stoppage,” said White in a Fuel TV interview following the event.

Link

infestructure » Posted 1/18/12 9:29:00PM

Maybe Rosenthal missed the sweet elbow, I had to watch the replay to be sure it even connected.

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Rosenthal has always been a solid ref in my book, but what happened last night was unexplainable. I can't figure out how he stood over him without knowing he was out. It's baffling.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Posted by grappler0000

Rosenthal has always been a solid ref in my book, but what happened last night was unexplainable. I can't figure out how he stood over him without knowing he was out. It's baffling.

This

He's usually one of the best but that stoppage was ridiculous. He was looking directly at it. How could you not see that he was finished?

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Idk what happened, but way too many unessacary punches. I think Munoz was flat and wasn't covering up when he fell down from the elbow.

Maybe trying out Mario's style of refing.

Maybe though Mark would be punched back into consciousness.

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

Better than early. Sucks though.

DancingDoll » Posted 9/23/11 8:44:00PM

Agreed - he was way late with that stoppage. In terms of bloodbaths, this was a total gusher.

FlashyG » Posted 2/13/08 10:33:00AM

Posted by ghandikush

Better than early. Sucks though.

Personally I think its far worse.

All it takes is one serious injury due to a mistake like that and the whole sport gets put under the microscope. An early stoppage only annoys us hardcore fans, it won't make headline news.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

Posted by DancingDoll
this was a total gusher.

thats what she said

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

lll-lll » Posted 7/13/07 10:19:00AM

I would say this is the worst stoppage in UFC history. I cant even begin to understand what the hell he was thinking. Munoz was not covering up, looked out cold, and was limp. What else does a ref need to see?!!!!!! I think he has been a quality ref up til now, actually very good considering IMO the best refs are the ones no one discusses. If they do their job right, then there name is rarely mentioned. I cant think of any other time like this for him, but wow that is one hell of a blemish on his record.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Posted by FlashyG

All it takes is one serious injury due to a mistake like that and the whole sport gets put under the microscope. An early stoppage only annoys us hardcore fans, it won't make headline news.

THIS

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Said this in another thread that I thought maybe Weidman should have stopped on his own after so many punches.

But heat of the moment hard to stop when your mindset is to keep going until the ref stops it.

Hopefully Josh and the other ref's can learn from that mistake and make sure it doesn't happen again.

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by FlashyG

THIS

no, boxers die every year, 2 mma fighters died last year and the whole sport wasnt under a microscope. Once a sport is accepted it is accepted.

An early stoppage robs a fighter, a late stoppage in an elite leage only means he takes some bruises and maybe a concussion.

Think about it, two fighters died last year in the sanctioned sport, one of which was during a bout after having had a bunch of serious previous concussions unchecked and one after training due to blood clot if I remember correctly.

None due to late stoppage and pride/ asian mma was known for them.

Right?

Late sucks but early is a robbery of career in certain cases.

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by FlashyG

THIS

no, boxers die every year, 2 mma fighters died last year and the whole sport wasnt under a microscope. Once a sport is accepted it is accepted.

An early stoppage robs a fighter, a late stoppage in an elite leage only means he takes some bruises and maybe a concussion.

Think about it, two fighters died last year in the sanctioned sport, one of which was during a bout after having had a bunch of serious previous concussions unchecked and one after training due to blood clot if I remember correctly.

None due to late stoppage and pride/ asian mma was known for them.

Right?

A late stoppage that begot outright death is something entirely different than dying from injuries sustained after the bout had concluded is more in line it seems with FlashyG's post.

Which commission sanctioned the fighter with unchecked concussions?

FlashyG » Posted 2/13/08 10:33:00AM

Posted by ghandikush

While an early stoppage could potentially set you back in your division and cost you a win bonus, a far greater risk to your career is being severely injured or killed by a late one.

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]