MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Stephan Bonnar Leaning Towards Retirement, Unless Major Name Comes His Way   [View Full Version]
sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

Since beating Kyle Kingsbury last November, Stephan Bonnar has spent quite a bit of time lobbying for a TUF coaching spot opposite Forrest Griffin or a match against Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. Right now, it appears neither of those requests are likely to be granted, and if neither materializes, we might have seen the last of Bonnar in the cage.

The longtime UFC veteran who helped propel mixed martial arts into a television staple with his role in a 2005 fight with Griffin said that unless some major fight offer came his way, he'd be at peace with retirement.

"Put it this way, I have no interest in fighting the next big thing before the world realizes the talent of the guy," he said on Wednesday night's UFC on FUEL 4 post-fight show. "I've done that too much in my career, and I'm near the end of it. So if it's not meant to be, if us being [TUF] coaches isn't meant to be, then it isn't meant to be. I've just got to accept that and move on. It's fine with me, it really is."

Link

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

In a perfect world, I'd like to see Bonnar and Griffin coach TUF, and both retire in the same night after their trilogy fight. Even though Bonnar has a three fight win streak, and Forrest is 3-1 in his last four, I suppose their time in the fight game is nearing an end. I don't know if Forrest has any interest in that fight again, but I know I wouldn't mind seeing it.

BigBadAl » Posted 6/18/09 8:26:00AM

I don't think he is ranked high enough to fight a major name really.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Bonnar is on a 3 fight win streak right now, why is he not being given at least a decent name? A Phil Davis fight would have made a TON more sense then the one Davis is in now.

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

I love Bonnar. It will be a sad day, if/when he retires. I think they should give him one more big fight before he leaves. He helped put it on the map with his original battle with Forrest.

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

if Bonnar stays in fight shape, im sure someone will get injured pretty soon & he can fill in on short notice.

BuffaloDave » Posted 8/14/11 9:31:00PM

Posted by Budgellism

Bonnar is on a 3 fight win streak right now, why is he not being given at least a decent name? A Phil Davis fight would have made a TON more sense then the one Davis is in now.

Exactly!!!!

But they seem to just want to feed Davis a win right now, his 1st opponent was Giggs, now this Prado fellow, who has fought 1 guy with a record over .500.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by Budgellism

Exactly!!!!

But they seem to just want to feed Davis a win right now, his 1st opponent was Giggs, now this Prado fellow, who has fought 1 guy with a record over .500.

with both you

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

I enjoyed listening to bonnar and sonnen last night. Definitely better then kflo

I-GOT-THIS-PICK » Posted 6/22/07 2:52:00PM

Damn Dana let him coach the ultimate fighter him and Forrest basicly gave you and the UFC everything it has today and this is the way you repay him

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Posted by I-GOT-THIS-PICK

Damn Dana let him coach the ultimate fighter him and Forrest basicly gave you and the UFC everything it has today and this is the way you repay him

This

That fight is legendary.

It without a doubt made people want to see something like that again . Dana quit being so unappreciative

frizzzlecake » Posted 5/25/12 8:57:00PM

Yeah Shane Carwin and Big Nelson as coaches is lame, though Big Nelson trains with Forrest so he may make a appearance.

Bonnar vs. Rampage would have been a great fight!

lll-lll » Posted 7/13/07 10:19:00AM

Posted by I-GOT-THIS-PICK

I kinda agree with this.It really, makes sense to me to let them both go out in one last fight and as TUF coaches. ALthough I like the Nelson/Carwin coach decision too. I think its time to see some new personalities. I thiink the show has run its coarse for big name fights. There are too many injuries and stuff.

But like ive stated numerous times, Id watch Forrest fight Bonnar weekly.

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Go ahead and retire. I can't think of any big names I'd like to see him up against.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

Bonnar vs Te Huna

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

[View Full Version of this Page]