MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Dan Hardy: Pay Structure May Affect Fighters’ Strategy   [View Full Version]
prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Clay Guida caught plenty of criticism from fans for using an evasive strategy against Gray Maynard at UFC on FX 4. One of his biggest critics, however, was fellow fighter Dan Hardy.

Hardy recently joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show” to discuss Guida, fighting as entertainment, his own place in the UFC and more.

Hardy on Guida’s performance against Maynard: “The thing is, Clay went in there to do a job and he did his job. Greg Jackson’s also got a job to do, which is to -- I think Kenny Florian stated it quite well -- it’s to make sure his fighter gets in there and wins. I agree with that, but on the flip side, it really comes down to the definition of what fighting is, and running away from somebody and playing tag and scoring points is not a fight to me, not really. It changes the face of the sport.

On why fans watch MMA: People tune in, first and foremost, to be entertained. There’s only a small percentage of MMA fans that are really interested in where people fall in the rankings. They just want to see a tear-up. They want to see somebody get punched in the face and fall over. You can hear it when the fight’s going on, that the crowd are booing. People don’t want to see one person running away. You can’t have a fight unless two fighters show up. Unfortunately on that show, on that fight, Gray Maynard was the only one who came ready for a fight.”

Link

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

I totally agree with him.

I still think Guida got screwed in that fight. Its ridiculous IMO that Condit won his fight with Diaz when Guida lost his fight with Maynard. I don't see any real difference in how effectively they employed the same strategy.

But on the flip side, I don't think you should be able to win fights like that. Consistently not engaging should be a foul that could possibly be met with a point deduction.

We all want to see fights, not jogging.

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

I still think Guida got screwed in that fight. Its ridiculous IMO that Condit won his fight with Diaz when Guida lost his fight with Maynard. I don't see any real difference in how effectively they employed the same strategy.

But on the flip side, I don't think you should be able to win fights like that. Consistently not engaging should be a foul that could possibly be met with a point deduction.

Bring the Pride Yellow cards into play, a point is one thing but when you start taking a chunk of their purse; they'll put their ass in high gear to fight

MALICE » Posted 9/17/07 10:04:00PM

Post 1, 2, 3

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Posted by MALICE

Post 1, 2, 3

also

frizzzlecake » Posted 5/25/12 8:57:00PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by bjj1605

Bring the Pride Yellow cards into play, a point is one thing but when you start taking a chunk of their purse; they'll put their ass in high gear to fight

No Athletic commission would ever allow a yellow card system.

Dan Hardy makes valid points, most MMA fans are the JUST BLEED guys, they want action and KO's, not running and points.

MALICE » Posted 9/17/07 10:04:00PM

Posted by frizzzlecake

No Athletic commission would ever allow a yellow card system.

Dan Hardy makes valid points, most MMA fans are the JUST BLEED guys, they want action and KO's, not running and points.

Although I do not agree with setting a gameplan to win by points, it has become a commonly used strategy among the top fighters. When two top tier fighters meet, they are often evenly matched and points are often the deciding factor. So I see the need for these types of gameplans, but there is never a need to constantly move away from your opponent mixing in a jab from time to time as Guida did. Guida needed only to return to the center, throw more combos and the fight would have been his.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

Posted by Manak

taking away 50% of their potential earnings (as most fighters win bonus is an additional show pay) has more incentive. Having a point deducted can be the difference between a win or a loss/draw, and thus a loss of a big chunk of money

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

[View Full Version of this Page]