MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Dana White on Clay Guida strategy vs. Maynard at UFC on FX 4: 'The fight sucked'   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

The fans at Revel Atlantic City didn't seem to be happy with Friday's main event, and UFC president Dana White wasn't, either.

Gray Maynard won a five-round split decision against Clay Guida, but it was Guida's game plan that had Maynard, the fans – and White – riled up.

"The fight sucked. I don't know how to expand on it anymore," White told MMAjunkie.com at the post-fight news conference. "... This isn't (expletive) 'Dancing With the Stars.' You can't win a fight by running around in circles – that's not how fights are won."

Link

#2 UFC 112 Points #9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers #12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points " Dream As If You'll Live Forever, Live As If You'll Die Today"- James Dean

Dberntson » Posted 6/16/09 12:09:00PM

Agree 100% with Dana. Guida and his camp should be embarrassed after putting together that strategy and should apologize for sticking to it. I
A complete miserable fight.

scpd400 » Posted 10/28/07 9:57:00PM

I don't know what guida was thnking. He is usually such an exciting fighter. I was pumped for this fight and it made me sleepy. I almost changed the channel but I kept thinking he was going to engage.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

Probably besides Jones vs Evans
This had to be biggest let down of the year

isk » Posted 12/5/07 12:38:00PM

I'm not sure specifically where this went wrong, whether it was a disconnect between fighter/coach or if it was just an inappropriate gameplan. Now that I've slept on it, I'm willing to look past this. Guida's one of the most fearless, straight-shooting, and coachable fighters on the UFC roster.

I'll only really take issue if it happens again.

Card » Posted 2/5/09 4:33:00PM

Clay Guida talks Greg Jackson gameplan (vid) - http://youtu.be/uAiyBvbT5sM

JLS1980 » Posted 6/6/12 1:54:00PM

What an awful fight... It was kinda funny though me and my buddy and our 2 ladies watching all these fights and for the main event I was the only one that had Maynard winning. Come the 3rd round we all wanted Maynard to win. You should have heard the profanity coming out of my buddies ladies mouth. I would get banned from PG if I wrote down everything she said.

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Probably besides Jones vs Evans
This had to be biggest let down of the year

I really liked Jones/Evans.
Unlike Maynard/Guida, I thought Jones/Evans was fun and tactical without feeling like the fighter(s) had completely given up on the possibility of finishing.

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

Honestly, fuck Dana White. That fight was pretty entertaining. And since when is cutting angles and effectively circling "running"? I dont recall Clay turning his back to Gray at any time. This was not Condit-Diaz or Starnes-Quarry. Unlike Condit or Starnes, Guida landed the better shots in that fight, while making Gray wing punches to no affect most of the fight. Guida hurt Gray way more than Gray hurt Guida, from where I was sitting. And guess what? That's what a fight is. Who beat who up? In close fights, aggression and ring generalship etc etc factor in. This wasn't a close fight, to me. Clay shut down most of Gray's grappling, and he unquestionably landed the better shots. Yeah, Gray got his in. But he didn't win that fight. No one should be bitching Clay, when Gray Maynard is the most flat footed, plodding son of a bitch to ever fight. Its his fault he can't cut an angle, not Clay's fault for "running".

Edit: I will concede there were certain parts where Clay just let Maynard huck punches, without much offensive output himself. He could have capitalized on that much better. I think he very easily could have TKOed Gray last night if he threw more, and there wouldn't be this bullshit today.

FlashyG » Posted 2/13/08 10:33:00AM

Posted by pmoney

Honestly, fuck Dana White. That fight was pretty entertaining. And since when is cutting angles and effectively circling "running"? I dont recall Clay turning his back to Gray at any time. This was not Condit-Diaz or Starnes-Quarry. Unlike Condit or Starnes, Guida landed the better shots in that fight, while making Gray wing punches to no affect most of the fight. Guida hurt Gray way more than Gray hurt Guida, from where I was sitting. And guess what? That's what a fight is. Who beat who up? In close fights, aggression and ring generalship etc etc factor in. This wasn't a close fight, to me. Clay shut down most of Gray's grappling, and he unquestionably landed the better shots. Yeah, Gray got his in. But he didn't win that fight. No one should be bitching Clay, when Gray Maynard is the most flat footed, plodding son of a bitch to ever fight. Its his fault he can't cut an angle, not Clay's fault for "running".

Edit: I will concede there were certain parts where Clay just let Maynard huck punches, without much offensive output himself. He could have capitalized on that much better. I think he very easily could have TKOed Gray last night if he threw more, and there wouldn't be this bullshit today.

Maynard landed more shots in that fight than Guida did, and Guida couldn't see out of one of his eyes at the presser due to it being swollen shut.

Also this was way worse than Condit's performance, who landed almost as many shots in a single round vs Diaz as Guida did in a 5 round fight.

If he didn't have such a history of being in exciting fights he wouldn't even have a job this morning.

scoozna » Posted 1/25/07 12:53:00PM

It's tough because you can't outlaw his in-and-out style of fighting, you can only discourage it by letting them know how boring it is, booing, and not giving him fights very often unless he engages more. I never had a problem with Guida's style before last night, he always seemed to engage a lot more, but this is what he felt he needed to do against Maynard..to win.

I was pretty shocked at the SD for Maynard, but like a lot of others, pleased at the same time.

Posted by FlashyG

Maynard landed more shots in that fight than Guida did, and Guida couldn't see out of one of his eyes at the presser due to it being swollen shut.

Also this was way worse than Condit's performance, who landed almost as many shots in a single round vs Diaz as Guida did in a 5 round fight.

If he didn't have such a history of being in exciting fights he wouldn't even have a job this morning.

Who's counting strikes though? A lot of the clinch slop that Maynard was throwing got counted, no doubt. Guida may have gotten his eye swollen up, but Gray looked like shit as well. He was rocked much more significantly, in my opinion. Plus, if anyone wants to count the ONE takedown Gray got, you have to count every time he was stuffed. Not to mention a sub attempt that landed him on the bottom, with Clay emphatically slamming his way out.

This was absolutely not worse than Diaz-Condit. Guida hurt Gray, Condit never hurt Diaz. Yet because everyone hates Diaz, it's ok for Condit to win that fight. When no one has a dog in the fight though, it's "Fuck that boring dude for running!" Meanwhile, Condit was turning his back and ACTUALLY running, while Guida was using superior cardio and footwork to side step.

If anyone wants to bitch about this fight not being exciting, blame Gray for having ZERO footwork, and blame big Dan for not issuing a warning earlier.

Once again, I did pick Maynard to win. I obviously don't think he did though. This is all my observation and opinion.

Edit: definitely not try to attack you personally, FlashyG, or anyone on this site.

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

Posted by pmoney

Really? That pile of shit was entertaining to you? I can find enjoyment in most fights, but that was horrible. Look at round 4 for specific and blatant turning his back on Gray and running.

#5 - All Time Pick% - Suck it Bythar!

FlashyG » Posted 2/13/08 10:33:00AM

When did Guida hurt Maynard in that fight?

the closest I remember is when he landed the head kick and even then I wouldn't say Gray was hurt. I personally don't think either fighter was hurt other than some superficial damage to their faces.

As far as the comparison between Condit and Guida's fights, Condit landed 159 shots, and connected with almost 50% accuracy. Guida landed just 49 and landed with only 14% accuracy.

They may have used similar strategies but if you want to dance and counterstrike, you have to hit your opponent more than he hits you. Guida didn't do that and rightfully lost the fight because of it.

Posted by Shawn91111

Really? That pile of shit was entertaining to you? I can find enjoyment in most fights, but that was horrible. Look at round 4 for specific and blatant turning his back on Gray and running.

I did find that fight entertaining. I will definitely go and rewatch the fight to see what you are talking about. I was very impressed with Clay's movement in the first few rounds, although I do wish he turned up the volume of his strikes. Rounds 4 and 5 were better, action wise, imo.

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]