MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Fedor Emelianenko Officially Retires   [View Full Version]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

I think it's actually a great day for the sport. Yes, it is sad to see a favorite retire, but he retired on his terms and on a win. To be as great as he was and still be able to know when it's time and what is best for himself and his family is something many athletes can only dream of aspiring to.

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

Posted by airkerma

I think it's actually a great day for the sport. Yes, it is sad to see a favorite retire, but he retired on his terms and on a win. To be as great as he was and still be able to know when it's time and what is best for himself and his family is something many athletes can only dream of aspiring to.

Well said.

Dberntson » Posted 6/16/09 12:09:00PM

Posted by jlock003

Best heavyweight of his era sure, but best of all time??? I feel like Hendo, Silva, and Werdum sort of killed that idea. Now nobody and I mean NOBODY can take away all that Fedor has done for the sport. Without him we literally wouldn't know mma as it exists now, but the biggest travesty in my mind about the entire situation is the fact that his management protected him for the last 5 years of his career and didn't allow him to make the decisions he needed to make in order to cement his legacy in the eyes of even the most casual of fans. He has the talent to be so much more than a great fighter for the four years he was in pride....I said has on purpose btw because I still think with the right camp and management he could soar as a light heavyweight fighter....I can't see him as one of the best heavyweights of all time because of the way he was beaten by silva, and then a not even heavyweight hendo, but I can definitely appreciate what he did in his day. The thing that sucks more than anything is the fact that ole vlad screwed him out of an even great legacy than he has currently achieved. I don't mean to take away from Fedor, he's been a tremendous fighter, but M-1 has taken some very precious prestige from the last emperor.

At this point in MMA, Fedor is the greatest heavyweight of alltime. Granted this is to date. No other heavyweight has dominated as much as and for as long as Fedor did during his reign of terror. That said, just like all greats, eventually someone will likely surpass him for that title or at least have a reasonable and logical debate about which was better. Similar to people comparing other athletes - say quarterbacks, you could reasonably argue that anyone of the following were the best of all time - Montana, Elway, Favre, Manning etc.. But at this point in MMA history, in my humble opinion, no other heavyweight has the resume that Fedor does.

submissionartist1 » Posted 5/27/07 10:24:00PM

Fedor- A true world class fighter! great career, thanks for the great fights. a legend

isk » Posted 12/5/07 12:38:00PM

Thank you, Fedor, for the thrilling years of dominance, the epic duels with Minotauro and Cro Cop, the reversal of the Randle-plex, the humility and composure and affability, and the essential contributions to the glory days of Pride.

For me it's a good day because Fedor goes out healthy and successful, and now I wonder who'll be the next Fedor. We've already got a few contenders, and it's exciting because they all have viable threats and challengers.

BigBadAl » Posted 6/18/09 8:26:00AM

Posted by jlock003

Best heavyweight of his era sure, but best of all time??? I feel like Hendo, Silva, and Werdum sort of killed that idea. Now nobody and I mean NOBODY can take away all that Fedor has done for the sport. Without him we literally wouldn't know mma as it exists now, but the biggest travesty in my mind about the entire situation is the fact that his management protected him for the last 5 years of his career and didn't allow him to make the decisions he needed to make in order to cement his legacy in the eyes of even the most casual of fans. He has the talent to be so much more than a great fighter for the four years he was in pride....I said has on purpose btw because I still think with the right camp and management he could soar as a light heavyweight fighter....I can't see him as one of the best heavyweights of all time because of the way he was beaten by silva, and then a not even heavyweight hendo, but I can definitely appreciate what he did in his day. The thing that sucks more than anything is the fact that ole vlad screwed him out of an even great legacy than he has currently achieved. I don't mean to take away from Fedor, he's been a tremendous fighter, but M-1 has taken some very precious prestige from the last emperor.

You even can't see him as 'one' of the best heavyweights of all time because of loses to decent competition in the twilight of his career? If you had said 'the' best then I might understand but not even 'one' of the best!?

That makes no sense to me and I would like to know who you rate above him.

isk » Posted 12/5/07 12:38:00PM

As a follow-up, I've listened to the Pride theme probably a dozen times since this announcement. Don't be sad it's over. Be happy it happened.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

The greatest Heavyweight of his era, is that better or if not who was better

Ordep » Posted 7/8/07 9:23:00PM

GOAT

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Posted by kopower

It was a good run. One of the greats hanging them up. Wish we could have seen him in the UFC for a fight or two. Happy to say I saw him fight live, in person twice. Once against Rogers, and Hendo. Glad I was able to witness one of the greatest fighters of all time throw down.

That's awesome man. I was actually at those same two fights.

Are you from the Chicagoland Area by chance?

Posted by jlock003

Best heavyweight of his era sure, but best of all time??? I feel like Hendo, Silva, and Werdum sort of killed that idea.

Dude I totally agree with you.

What happens late in a fighters career when they are past their prime should totally be used to judge their legacy as a whole.

Why would we pay attention to the fact that a fighter dominated the sport for about a decade? Why would we look at the fact that a fighter beat every single one of the best fighters in his weight class at the time in dominating fashion?

Just like how guys like Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Chuck Liddell, and Wanderlei Silva will always be remembered as bums for their losses in the twilight of their careers.

jlock003 » Posted 9/18/07 5:33:00PM

Posted by BigBadAl

You even can't see him as 'one' of the best heavyweights of all time because of loses to decent competition in the twilight of his career? If you had said 'the' best then I might understand but not even 'one' of the best!?

That makes no sense to me and I would like to know who you rate above him.

That's a valid point, and it was poorly written on my part. I don't think anybody can deny that Fedor was the best heavyweight of his day, but I don't think he is "The greatest heavyweight ever." He is certainly one of the greatest ever and definitively the best of the Pride days. I'll give you props for that major flaw in my logic. That being said you (generic not Al) can't ignore his recent losses and write them off. Hell, most Fedor fans chalked up the Werdum loss to getting caught, and the Hendo loss to an early stoppage. In April of 07 he fought Lindland, and up until the Rogers fight he fought lesser competition or guys on a drastic decline and in several of those fights he didn't look good at all. None of that means that he didn't beat every available contender from 02-06, and none of that means he wasn't a great fighter. He's been poorly managed and the majority of my post which I feel like was majorly overlooked took issue with M-1 and the way they used Fedor in an effort to line their pockets not the talent level or ranking of Fedor himself.

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by kopower

It was a good run. One of the greats hanging them up. Wish we could have seen him in the UFC for a fight or two. Happy to say I saw him fight live, in person twice. Once against Rogers, and Hendo. Glad I was able to witness one of the greatest fighters of all time throw down.

Posted by jlock003

Best heavyweight of his era sure, but best of all time??? I feel like Hendo, Silva, and Werdum sort of killed that idea.

What happens late in a fighters career when they are past their prime should totally be used to judge their legacy as a whole.

Why would we pay attention to the fact that a fighter dominated the sport for about a decade? Why would we look at the fact that a fighter beat every single one of the best fighters in his weight class at the time in dominating fashion?

Just like how guys like Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Chuck Liddell, and Wanderlei Silva will always be remembered as bums for their losses in the twilight of their careers.

Dude you had me going

Thank you sarcasm

jlock003 » Posted 9/18/07 5:33:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by kopower

Posted by jlock003

Miguel Torres best bantamweight in history by the same logic. You sound like a sharp guy so you probably know what I'm driving at, but just in case I'll explain but first DISCLAIMER: Fedor Emelianenko was a great fighter and has the potential to be a great fighter. My greatest frustration with the Fedor situation lies with his management organization. Fedor has been nothing but humble, and a great ambassador for the sport as well as a solid fighter. That being said he ruled a division that was being developed during what people are perceiving as his prime. He absolutely beat the best competition that was available out there during Pride but to ignore the fact that he started fighting lesser competition at the turn of the division is burying your head in the sand. At the end of the Pride era you start seeing guys like JDS, Cain Velasquez, Lesnar, Shane Carwin, really starting to make an impact. My point is simply that had he started fighting these kind of guys regularly when Pride folded that even at 29 and 30 years old he would have taken several losses just because the sport had evolved. Matt Lindland and Hong Man Choi hadn't evolved. Tim Sylvia and Andre Arlovski definitely hadn't evolved. Brett Rogers gave Fedor the fight of his life etc...None of that is meant to take away from his legacy it is forever cemented in the minds of all who were privileged enough to see him fight at the height of organized mma in Japan. Calling him the best Heavyweight of all time however is like calling Miguel Torres the best bantamweight of all time or Wanderlei Silva the best 205'er of all time. That's all I'm saying.

The_Casualty » Posted 5/17/08 7:00:00PM

True Legend

zephead » Posted 1/16/07 5:32:00PM

Thanks for everything you did for the sport. I hope you have as much success in your postfight career as you had in your fight career.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

[View Full Version of this Page]