MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
UFC on FOX 4 adds Swick-Johnson, Grispi-Garza, Phan-Miller, Gamburyan-Omigawa   [View Full Version]
DrivenDavies15 » Posted 8/10/11 1:23:00AM

Four new fights are set for UFC on FOX 4, officials today announced.

And one includes the long-awaited return of fan favorite Mick Swick (14-4 MMA, 9-3 UFC), who meets fellow welterweight DaMarques Johnson (16-10 MMA, 4-4 UFC).

The others feature a trio of featherweight matchups: Josh Grispi (14-3 MMA, 0-2 UFC) vs. Pablo Garza (11-3 MMA, 2-2 UFC), Nam Phan (17-10 MMA, 1-3 UFC) vs. Cole Miller (18-6 MMA, 7-4), and Manny Gamburyan (11-7 MMA, 2-5 UFC) vs. Michihiro Omigawa (13-11-1 MMA, 1-3 UFC).

UFC on FOX 4 takes place Aug. 4 at Los Angeles' Staples Center, and the main card airs on FOX.

LINK

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

A Mike Swick sighting!

How is that guy going to look after such a huge layoff, especially after losing his last two before the injuries? Should be interesting, but I'm skeptical.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Some decent fights there, not big fights but kind of even fights on paper.

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

If I'm the UFC brass I'm going to start throwing fighters with bigger names on these Fox cards. I know the biggest fights make them a ton of $$$ on PPV buys, but the big money is in network TV. Get your stars out there for the casuals to see and start to know. They won't really know what kind of ratings they can pull until they put a major headliner on these cards.

Yeah they did the HW title fight on Fox1, but that was a disaster and was poorly executed. Most fans know that HW fights end in a flash and they were ill prepared for that happening for some ridiculous reason.

They are playing it safe right now, and making sure their cash cow(PPV) brings in the dollars, but at some point they have to take a risk and see where they really stand as a player in commercial TV and the world of sports. As it stands now they are slowly falling on their faces with the ratings being down on each of the last 2 events on Fox, and to right the ship I say go all in and toss a title fight on Fox 5. Let's see if the mainstream world is ready for MMA, and not just a watered down version of it. No disrespect to Rashad/Davis or Diaz/Miller meant, but the casual fan sees that a guy named Jim Miller or Phil Davis is in the main event and that means nothing to them.

Dberntson » Posted 6/16/09 12:09:00PM

Had no idea Swick was still fighting. Thought he was is Thailand trying to start a gym with Huerta.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Mike Swick....who the f*ck is that?

rush13 » Posted 5/9/10 11:45:00PM

Posted by prophecy033

Mike Swick....who the f*ck is that?

LOL well said...I thought he fell off the face of the earth!

ChrisSabal » Posted 6/27/10 4:12:00AM

happy to see Swick back.......for now

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Please, please, PLEASE don't get injured, Swick!

Sir_Karl » Posted 9/7/07 9:27:00PM

I am very surprised they resigned Swick.

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I am very surprised they resigned Swick.

He was never cut. It has all been an assortment of prolonged injuries that has sidelined Swick since early 2010.

Posted by cowcatcher

A Mike Swick sighting!

How is that guy going to look after such a huge layoff, especially after losing his last two before the injuries? Should be interesting, but I'm skeptical.

At least the UFC harbors no illusions that he leaving a borderline top ten welterweight means he has returned in the same place. Johnson is near the bottom of that division and is only hanging around the UFC at the moment because they have not been using their axe lately.

Zuffa probably understands he will be rusty and have given them Johnson to see how he fares. Anything from being dominated to dominating this fight would not be surprising.

Posted by cowcatcher

If I'm the UFC brass I'm going to start throwing fighters with bigger names on these Fox cards. I know the biggest fights make them a ton of $$$ on PPV buys, but the big money is in network TV. Get your stars out there for the casuals to see and start to know. They won't really know what kind of ratings they can pull until they put a major headliner on these cards.

Yeah they did the HW title fight on Fox1, but that was a disaster and was poorly executed. Most fans know that HW fights end in a flash and they were ill prepared for that happening for some ridiculous reason.

They are playing it safe right now, and making sure their cash cow(PPV) brings in the dollars, but at some point they have to take a risk and see where they really stand as a player in commercial TV and the world of sports. As it stands now they are slowly falling on their faces with the ratings being down on each of the last 2 events on Fox, and to right the ship I say go all in and toss a title fight on Fox 5. Let's see if the mainstream world is ready for MMA, and not just a watered down version of it. No disrespect to Rashad/Davis or Diaz/Miller meant, but the casual fan sees that a guy named Jim Miller or Phil Davis is in the main event and that means nothing to them.

I agree, kinda. But I think what separates casuals from diehards is name recognition. Casuals tend to recognize the brand more than individual names, and what the UFC is doing with the FOX shows is not reestablish their already-stars but creating their future stars. Junior Dos Santos, Rashad Evans, and Nate Diaz have probably all become known enough to casual fans that their names headlining the pay-per-views, which is Zuffa's cash cow, will generate buys. Hell, I know people that if today saw Anderson Silva vs. Brian Stann or Anderson Silva vs. Hector Lombard headlining a pay-per-view would have no interest. But with Stann or Lombard having an impressive showing in August, maybe that notion would change.

While I agree that the UFC needs to venture into using their mega-stars on the FOX cards, I do not think that that is necessary except occasionally. To keep the network happy.

[View Full Version of this Page]