MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Was Almeida right?
Forum Opinion Poll
Yes (29-28 Kos) 28 49%
No (29-28 Hendricks) 26 46%
Other (somehow) 3 5%

Ricardo Almeida Scored Josh Koscheck as the Winner in Bout With Johny Hendricks   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
jjeans » Posted 9/2/09 6:06:00AM

My boy Almeida scored it in favour of my boy Koscheck!!!

In the co-main event last evening at UFC on FOX 3, welterweight contenders Josh Koscheck and Johny Hendricks fought in a closely-contested affair that marked the first time two NCAA Division I national champions fought in the UFC.

Hendricks was ultimately declared the winner, but only by split decision. Judges Jeff Blatnick and Cardo Urso scored the bout 29-28 for Hendricks. The dissenting judge who scored it 29-28 for Koscheck? Former UFC middleweight and welterweight contender and now retired fighter Ricardo Almeida.

It'd be a stretch to call scoring the fight for Koscheck irresponsible or evidence of poor judging, although there's not much of a quantitative defense for Koscheck. Still, judging is a qualitative endeavor and one hampered by vantage point, biases both ingrained or innocuous and the limits of one's ability to draw defensible conclusions about athletic performance. By the very nature of how judging is administered, a difference of opinion in close contests among those qualified to score MMA at the highest professional levels is inevitable. A score for Koscheck isn't bad even if it isn't ultimately the most defensible position to take.

Link to article

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

YES.....so did I.

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

Neh, i didn't think Koscheck won 2 rounds. But i did feel like he won one clearly.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

I'm not even going to read the article but I'll re-post something I posted on another MMA forum regarding people saying Almeida was the qualified judge of the three. I'm too lazy to edit anything, so this isn't directed at anyone, just refuting these wannabe journalists latching onto the Almeida 29-28.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I can't let the Almeida being the more qualified judge comments slide. Not recognizing a name doesn't give anyone free reign to say a judge wouldn't know how to best score a fight than Ricardo Almeida in his infancy as a judge (Unless you're talking about Cecil Peoples).

Blatnick was an Olympic Greco Roman Wrestler (The first American ever to win Gold) and 2 time Division II Heavyweight wrestling champion. He also commentated for the UFC for about the first 30 UFC's circa 94-00 or so for those that have followed the sport long enough to remember. He was commissioner of the UFC back in 98-99 and was huge in the development of writing the modern rules of the sport that are now the Unified Rules.

The other judge Cardo Urso has more martial arts experience than Almeida has been alive. He established the MCMAP curriculum in the Marines currently taught at the Martial Arts Center of Excellence and is a master of basically anything. He may have a few black belt if black belts in Okinawa Karate, Judo, White Crane, Jujitsu and Sambo count? and he also owns and operates the Atlantic City branch of Miletich Fighting Systems training fighters and has for many many years.

They each have about 40 years of martial arts experience and Blatnick was integral in helping write the rules for Unified MMA judging that Ricardo had to study before heading to work last night as a judge. Both of these guys were world renowned in MMA before it was even called MMA and before Almeida ever saw a white belt or finished his Cheerios from his stroller.

The NJSAC doesn't hire slobs off the street to write 10s and 9s on pieces of paper, you don't find much better judging than the guys sitting ringside last night. It's a shame that so few MMA fans recognize who they are. I'm just not a fan of seeing legends of the sport being discredited as bums because their name isn't recognizable. They saw the fight for Hendricks in a close fight, and they can back up the reasons why. Now you do know who they are.

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

i voted other bc i wanted to see the results. i remember seeing many bombs landing for both fighters. i was a little buzzed & this dude at the bar was bothering me.

i couldnt agree more, Kpro.

i like seeing fighters get into judging bc i think in the long run it will make for better judging in the future, but just bc he fought doesnt make him the best of the 3

UFC 151: Never Forget

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

I gave him round one and three. They both clearly won a round, I think that the 1st was the deciding round and I thought that Koscheck did more but I do remember Hendricks controlling the last part of the round, and maybe that was enough to steal the round.

infestructure » Posted 1/18/12 9:29:00PM

I picked Hendricks to win, forgot about it, thought I had Kos whilst watching.

At the end of the fight, I had Kos winning, because of the multi punch combos, and he seemed to be controlling the action and the octagon

When Hendricks got his hand raised, I wasn't too miffed, as it was a close fight, and who the hell wants to see Kos vs GSP III?

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

I gave Kos rounds 1 and 3 easily. IMO in round 1 he landed more significant punches and defended each takedown. Sure he was "outstruck" but over half of those landed by Hendricks were those knees to the thigh from the clinch. Kos also punched Hendricks to make him unable to see for half the round (a replay wasn't shown to determine if it was a poke or a punch).

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

It was a close fight.

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

I had Rds 1 and 3 for Kos, but that fight was very close. I picked other simply because I want to watch the fight again before I make any call like that. Both guys were getting blasted, I felt the fight was very even in all respects.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

Thanks ricardo for me not getting 11 for it last night

rush13 » Posted 5/9/10 11:45:00PM

Unbiasedly had it 29-28 for Kos too even tho I picked him by split decision...crap

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

I dont know about you guys, but i thought those 50 knees to the thigh against the cage were hands down the most effective offense of the round.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

Posted by Pookie

I dont know about you guys, but i thought those 50 knees to the thigh against the cage were hands down the most effective offense of the round.

I agree, other than the eye-poke . I could argue all 3 for Hendricks by referencing the Unified Rules Judging Criteria and surprisingly could argue the 3rd more-so than the 1st. I couldn't argue all 3 for Koscheck by any means. The only decisive round was the 2nd for Hendricks in my eyes and when you can't claim even one decisive round, you generally don't win decisions. It's just fact and common sense. It was a good close fight to be enjoyed. Unless there's a blatant robbery a la MFC's co-main event on Friday night, then if you don't finish, the judges pick the winner, and there's nothing to discuss. Koscheck echoed those sentiments post-fight. If the judges gave it to Koscheck it just would've been another even poll. I'm not sure why this is even news.

rush13 » Posted 5/9/10 11:45:00PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Pookie

I agree, other than the eye-poke . I could argue all 3 for Hendricks by referencing the Unified Rules Judging Criteria and surprisingly could argue the 3rd more-so than the 1st. I couldn't argue all 3 for Koscheck by any means. The only decisive round was the 2nd for Hendricks in my eyes and when you can't claim even one decisive round, you generally don't win decisions. It's just fact and common sense. It was a good close fight to be enjoyed. Unless there's a blatant robbery a la MFC's co-main event on Friday night, then if you don't finish, the judges pick the winner, and there's nothing to discuss. Koscheck echoed those sentiments post-fight. If the judges gave it to Koscheck it just would've been another even poll. I'm not sure why this is even news.

Had the 3rd pretty decisive for Kos, with the take-down and being on top in total control doing some damage

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]