MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
With five fights left on contract, UFC 148's Cung Le taking it one bout at a time   [View Full Version]
prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

If you haven't yet noticed, Cung Le has other things he can do.

No fewer than three movies featuring Le are scheduled for release this year. In one of them, "The Man with the Iron Fists," he co-stars with Hollywood heavyweights Russell Crowe and Lucy Liu.

Le is 39 years old and has been fighting in one way or another since his tweens. He has another way to make a living in which it's far less likely he'll have his nose rearranged, as it was in his most recent fight.

Why keep doing it?

Why not? That's probably a better question, if you ask Le (7-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC). Four months after his octagon debut went awry against Wanderlei Silva at UFC 139, he's on target to meet former middleweight champ Rich Franklin (28-6 MMA, 13-5 UFC) at UFC 148, which takes place July 7 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Le vs. Franklin serves on the pay-per-view main card while preliminary-card bouts air on FX.

Link

rush13 » Posted 5/9/10 11:45:00PM

5 fights?!?! Holy hell!!! If he gets dominated by Rich I thought he'd definitely be considering retiring.

Cooler » Posted 6/7/10 4:11:00PM

If he loses to Rich he might get cut all together.

However I see him winning against Rich and losing to any other top guy at MW.

rush13 » Posted 5/9/10 11:45:00PM

Posted by Cooler

I don't see how he beats Rich...Rich is too much and too big for him.

BuffaloDave » Posted 8/14/11 9:31:00PM

If he loses to Rich, I don't see the UFC keeping him. Especially at 350k per fight.

Cooler » Posted 6/7/10 4:11:00PM

Posted by rush13

Posted by Cooler

I don't see how he beats Rich...Rich is too much and too big for him.

Then you're being pretty vapid, no offense. Le could easily put Rich to sleep or win by points from striking. Anyone who gets hit with a spinning hook kick for example is probably going out and seeing as how rich is 0-4 against dangerous southpaws, the odds dont favor him other than that Cung coming off a big loss. Since you missed my original post in the fight announcement thread I will just copy and paste it.

"I'm not seeing Franklin win any other way than to avoid the storm and personally I never like to pick a guy based off of how good he can take shots and avoid the other guys early barrage of subs/takedowns/strikes. He probably cant take Cung down either with Cung's D-1 background, clinching him up might be the trick if he is strong enough from the cut, outstriking Cung will be very hard to do especially when Le is fresh. I would ask Rich to clinch up a lot and keep it boring. People dont seem to be noticing that Rich is starting to wind down, he is slowly becoming less consistent in performance. For example, he got knocked down by Forrest Griffin, think about that for a minute, how many guys has Forrest hurt like that before? Thats right Never....Rich has definitely taken a decent amount of damage in his career, the Lyoto fight, The 2 Anderson fights, the Belfort fight, he got knocked down by Wandy, Chuck was beating him up and wouldve won the round and chuck broke richs arm, he got knocked down by Forrest, Lutter had his arm in a cinched up armabar that I cant believe he didnt tap from and Tanner knocked him down in the rematch. I dont like his chances in the first round with a dynamic southpaw striker, its his achilles heel. I've got Cung Le by Knockout."

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

The guy will never have a belt in the UFC but that's ok.

Id watch him again even if he loses. It's nice to see kicks when Le throws them

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

I doubt it if he loses in July he will be cut

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

I see Franklin winning this fight. He will be super active and his cardio is rock solid.

Sir_Karl » Posted 9/7/07 9:27:00PM

He won't make it through all of the 5 fights left on his contract. No way. I would be surprised if he even fights 3 more times in the UFC.

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Cung is a fun guy to watch. He's kinda like a Chris Lytle.

I don't like the level of opponent they've been giving him to be honest.

He's exciting but he's not really a contender. I'd like to see him fighting other exciting fighters and guys towards the bottom of the division.

Although, I would love to see him against Chris Leben or Brian Stann.

[View Full Version of this Page]