MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Jose Aldo vs Anthony Pettis? 'Showtime' considering a drop to featherweight   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

The last man to hold the World Extreme Championship (WEC) lightweight title, Anthony Pettis, wanted to prove that beating Ben Henderson to earn that distinction was not a fluke.

In order to do that, he required a "Smooth" rematch against "Bendo," who took over the 155-pound throne under the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) banner by outpointing Frankie Edgar last month in Japan.

"Showtime" held up his end of the bargain by cleaning the clock of Boston grappler Joe Lauzon, also at UFC 144, and put himself in prime position to make it two in a row against Henderson.

Unfortunately nobody cleared it with Edgar.

His "Answer" to UFC President Dana White, who urged the Jersey Shore native to drop a few pounds and challenge Jose Aldo for the featherweight crown in the promotion's desolate 145-pound division, was an emphatic "No." Edgar instead wanted a Henderson rematch based on the (mildly) controversial finish from their championship tilt at the Saitama Super Arena.

Wish granted.

That means Pettis will have to fend off another round of lightweight hopefuls to keep his spot in line. Or he can do what Edgar wouldn't, and shed some skin to give "Junior" the fits in a featherweight title fight. A move his manager tells Ariel Helwani (via UFC Tonight) is currently under consideration.

Link

TeamDEY » Posted 2/1/11 3:41:00PM

This would be a sick fight... would love to see it

DrivenDavies15 » Posted 8/10/11 1:23:00AM

LuckyCharms » Posted 3/28/11 6:57:00PM

If this fight come together. I have no idea who to cheer for and I had no idea who to pick too.

But other then that. It's going to be a great fight with some great fireworks from both guys. Hopefully it doesn't end quickly.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

so rather than proving his spot in the LW ranks, he is going to drop down? This will be one of the few times I will cheer for Aldo

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Poor decision on his part if he does go for it.

Aldo first round knockout.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

This would be a SICK fight, the kind of fight that you plan your whole weekend around

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

That would be a great fight

BlueSkiesBurn » Posted 6/1/08 3:18:00PM

Posted by Bubbles

so rather than proving his spot in the LW ranks, he is going to drop down? This will be one of the few times I will cheer for Aldo

You're fucking kidding, right? He was the champ when the UFC merged with WEC and had to ride the pine once before. He lost an unfortunate and somewhat controversial decision to Guida and then bounced back in spectacular fashion.

Now Uncle Dana is telling him he will have to wait again. While Aldo and Cruz were simply awarded their belts, Pettis was caught in an unfortunate situation that hasn't changed in over a year and a half. Hell, even if he had beat Guida he wouldn't have gotten a title shot. Maynard sort of screwed that whole thing up.

Pettis wants a title and has proven everything he possibly can at the UFC LW division short of a rematch with Bendo and he's being told that he won't get it because Edgar, who is a more natural FW, refuses to accept a loss.

Pettis said "fuck it" and is willing to take what Dana offered to Frankie. I fail to see how that's "not proving his spot." If anything, Pettis is proving more by taking on a fighter that appears unbeatable at FW as opposed to someone that he already beat for a title at LW. (Which, by the way, he never got to defend).

Pettis is the only person to ever come over from a bought out property that didn't receive a title unification bout.

I'd say he's making the smart move. But yeah, we can go with your comment too.

rush13 » Posted 5/9/10 11:45:00PM

This fight would be sick...Aldo first round knockout??? C'mon man, Pettis would be his toughest fight...I really hope it happens.

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

this would be the perfect fit for a FOX main event

UFC 151: Never Forget

Boo_Radley21 » Posted 7/19/07 12:28:00AM

This needs to happen. LW has enough contenders, even too many. Featherweight could use some. Everyone wins.

hashyandy4 » Posted 3/31/11 10:49:00PM

Would luv 2 see this fight, i would take Aldo 4 sure, but still a great fight

ncordless » Posted 4/8/07 11:09:00PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Bubbles

You're fucking kidding, right? He was the champ when the UFC merged with WEC and had to ride the pine once before. He lost an unfortunate and somewhat controversial decision to Guida and then bounced back in spectacular fashion.

Now Uncle Dana is telling him he will have to wait again. While Aldo and Cruz were simply awarded their belts, Pettis was caught in an unfortunate situation that hasn't changed in over a year and a half. Hell, even if he had beat Guida he wouldn't have gotten a title shot. Maynard sort of screwed that whole thing up.

Pettis wants a title and has proven everything he possibly can at the UFC LW division short of a rematch with Bendo and he's being told that he won't get it because Edgar, who is a more natural FW, refuses to accept a loss.

Pettis said "fuck it" and is willing to take what Dana offered to Frankie. I fail to see how that's "not proving his spot." If anything, Pettis is proving more by taking on a fighter that appears unbeatable at FW as opposed to someone that he already beat for a title at LW. (Which, by the way, he never got to defend).

Pettis is the only person to ever come over from a bought out property that didn't receive a title unification bout.

I'd say he's making the smart move. But yeah, we can go with your comment too.

I agree there is nothing wrong with Pettis dropping down, but you are wrong about him being the only one not to get an immediate unification bout. Chael, Condit, and Cantwell didn't get immediate title shots either. Cruz didn't get the UFC belt until after he beat Faber. Only Aldo was automatically given a belt, which to my knowledge is the only time that has ever happened in UFC history.

I got no problem with Pettis dropping to FW. LW is a rematch log jam, and a fight with Aldo is not a step down from anything.

BlueSkiesBurn » Posted 6/1/08 3:18:00PM

Posted by ncordless

I agree there is nothing wrong with Pettis dropping down, but you are wrong about him being the only one not to get an immediate unification bout. Chael, Condit, and Cantwell didn't get immediate title shots either. Cruz didn't get the UFC belt until after he beat Faber. Only Aldo was automatically given a belt, which to my knowledge is the only time that has ever happened in UFC history.

I got no problem with Pettis dropping to FW. LW is a rematch log jam, and a fight with Aldo is not a step down from anything.

You're right about Condit and Cantwell, but Chael never held the WEC title, sir. His final fight with Filho was a non-title match due to Filho not making weight.

I left them out because the UFC had absorbed the WW-LHW long ago. As it were, the only one of those to not get a title shot so far is Cantwell and that's because Cantwell keeps losing.

Also, everyone knew that the WEC LHW, WW, & MW's weren't as good (at the time) as their UFC counterpart champions.

The entire reason the UFC absorbed those divisions first was because there wasn't enough depth and talent to leave them on their own. The UFC had a bastion of LW's and had nobody below LW. The WEC made it's dollars off their lighter weight classes

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]