MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Tim Sylvia can be a title contender and beat 80-percent of the heavyweights in the UFC   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia is doing a little bit of campaigning asking for fans help to get him back into the ranks of the UFC. "The Maniac" took to "The Underground" to post this video asking for fans support for his "push" to get back into the world's largest mixed martial (MMA) promotion, a place he called home for more than six years before he was sent packing after a loss to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 81.

Article

Video

ncordless » Posted 4/8/07 11:09:00PM

80% of the HWs? Maybe. He'd lose to the top guys there, but I think he could hang with the 2nd tier guys, and would still whip up on the scrubs.

Title contender? No. He would not be competitive in any kind of match that would lead to a title shot.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

I'm not a fan of Tim at all, but I'd love to see him back in the UFC, maybe for nostalgic reasons. That loss on the JMMA NYE show really hurt his stock though. I'll join the campaign.

hotrodttt » Posted 8/25/07 6:56:00PM

If he didn't turn into the jab master in his fights then he'd be a whole lot more exciting, why not give it to him though? Like he said, Sean McKorkel fought in the UFC and Tim would work him.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

80%

TeamDEY » Posted 2/1/11 3:41:00PM

Don't do Crack

mattjonesy » Posted 5/22/07 7:05:00PM

Give him a shot why not? guys a vet and could be used to push new talent anyway!

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

Weird, I see him getting koed or out grappled by most. Plus before I support him, he would have to get and stay in much better shape.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Posted by jae_1833

Weird, I see him getting koed or out grappled by most. Plus before I support him, he would have to get and stay in much better shape.

Exactly. He's been under 300 pounds what, once since his loss to Fedor? He was also knocked out by Ray Mercer and Abe Wagner in a combined 41 seconds and hasn't been exciting in a number of years. No thanks Tim.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by jae_1833

Exactly. He's been under 300 pounds what, once since his loss to Fedor? He was also knocked out by Ray Mercer and Abe Wagner in a combined 41 seconds and hasn't been exciting in a number of years. No thanks Tim.

But he's sponsored by Lean Body.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

80% is probably a bit high, 65-70% imo is more accurate.

Nelson vs Sylvia, book it. If Nelson cant beat Timmeh then he isnt UFC material anymore. Timmeh gets his UFC fight, and if he loses he gets pink slipped again. Pretty straight forward if you ask me

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

deck15 » Posted 12/2/08 11:45:00PM

Posted by hotrodttt

If he didn't turn into the jab master in his fights then he'd be a whole lot more exciting, why not give it to him though? Like he said, Sean McKorkel fought in the UFC and Tim would work him.

Id take that bet Mckorkel would work him over. dude is a beast he just chokedin the UFC. now hes fighting cans because local shows offer him 15k to do so.

Sir_Karl » Posted 9/7/07 9:27:00PM

Just like the fans, the UFC seems to also have this odd and unjustified hatred of Tim Sylvia. While I think Tim would get trashed by the UFC's top HWs....I think he does deserve another shot in the UFC. He has gone 6-3 since his time away from the Octagon and while they weren't top opponents, any other fighter would have already been re signed. I think Tim could fare okay against the bottom tier guys in the UFC's HW field and if he was matched up properly I think he could win 3 or 4 in a row. Undoubtedly he would eventually get smoked, and maybe the UFC would allow one loss or maybe two losses before they cut him again, but he could at least get a crack at it. This happens all of the time in the UFC.Guys come in, they win a couple then lose a couple, get cut, get a few wins in the minors then get resigned by the UFC. Why should it be any different in Tim Sylvia's case?? It shouldn't. I say the UFC should resign him. Either way, he was a big star and he is still a decent drawing tool...I don't think the UFC could go wrong in resigning him...unless of course he gets crushed within the first 30 seconds of hist first fight. That would totally suck for everyone. Seriously though, the UFC has over 30 heavyweights right now. There are plenty of match ups that might be good for Sylvia to start with. Here are some of the lower and middle tier guys in the HW division that could be possible matchups for Tim... Lavar Johnson, Shawn Jordan, Mark Hunt, John Olav Einemo, Gabe Gonzaga, Rob Broughton, Christian Morecraft, Roy Nelson, Ben Rothwell, Brendan Schaub, Oli Thompson, Ednaldo Oliveira, Phil De Fries and maybe even Matt Mitrione and Pat Barry. There is also Travis Browne, Chad Griggs, Dave Herman and Stipe Moicic. There are more than a few good matchups for Tim to start with. Do it up. I think it is a little pathetic of Tim to almost beg to come back to the UFC though. He should have thought out his gameplan a little bit better. Bellator might be a good place for him if his pathetic plea falls on deaf or unwilling ears.

loonytnt » Posted 7/9/07 11:43:00AM

all he has to do is run then leg lick and he will beat 80% of the ppl right?

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Just like the fans, the UFC seems to also have this odd and unjustified hatred of Tim Sylvia.

Unjustified, probably; odd, no. It's good business practice to distance the business from the champion that lost to what was the UFC's greatest hold-out, Fedor Emelianenko, and some old boxer, especially during that time - when the whole question of the athletic validity of the sport was still unanswered.

Also, he did Blind Date.

I would not mind seeing Sylvia back in the UFC. This is the most talent-starved division in the sport, and if Gabriel Gonzaga was welcomed back, why not the longest-reigning HW champion the UFC has had? Plus, did you see that Russow-Einemo fight?

On a side note, this is the first time I've seen a fighter with the accolades of a Tim Sylvia actually admit he would lose. Nobody else would handicap themselves at anything less than perfection.

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]