MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > UFC Forum
Brandon Vera Explains Why He Had To Withdraw From Thiago Silva Rematch   [View Full Version]
sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

UFC light heavyweight Brandon ‘The Truth’ Vera (12-5, 1NC) got a little bit ahead of himself, as he tells it, when he accepted a rematch with Brazilian fighter Thiago Silva.

The two were recently announced for this May’s UFC on FX 3 event, but Vera was forced out due to injury.

Both men had fought in January 2011 at UFC 125, and saw Silva dominate Vera to a unanimous decision. ‘The Truth’ was cut and Silva saved himself from two straight losses. As it turned out, Silva had falsified the urine sample he provided to the Nevada State Athletic Commission and was subsequently suspended for one year.

The loss to Vera was changed to a “No Contest” and ‘The Truth’ was brought back into the UFC.

Link

aussiemma » Posted 1/27/12 10:34:00PM

i used to like vera, but now i cant stand him at all. he had his chance but now i cant see him being a force in the ufc. the lhw division is full of sharks now and vera just simply looks to weak to beat the top dogs.

aussiemma » Posted 1/27/12 10:34:00PM

i think thiago would maul him again aswell. drugs or no drugs !

KaibaThedon » Posted 3/25/09 9:45:00PM

at least now we get to see a fight we're actually interested in

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

so what is wrong with him that he wont be ready in 3 months to fight?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Geoffo » Posted 10/24/11 8:02:00PM

He doesn't wanna be Thiago Silva's drum set again.

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

yea i think vera lacks the excitement. the last decent fight he had IMO was against randy. and even that wasnt very good. i would be upset to see him get cut again.

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

Posted by KaibaThedon

at least now we get to see a fight we're actually interested in

i was interested in that i wanted Thiago to get a tune up after being out so long

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

Vera had to be thinking, shit - instead of drums this time Silva may go Rusty Trombone - good reason to back out imo.

tmas » Posted 6/15/07 2:09:00AM

I think peoples memories of the first fight are just a weeeebit off.....

lets recap.

Thiago was suppose to dom the standup.....he didnt infact Vera took it too him and had Thiago hurt....

Vera was suppose to be the better grappler.......he wasnt he was made to look like a wittle girl grappling with Silva. I remember thinking wow i didnt think Thiago was this good on the ground he looks stronger then ever. He just absoultly destroyed Vera on the ground i was surprised the fight wasnt stopped.....

soooooo....conclusion... maybe just maybe Thiago is that good on the ground, that strong, or maybe its true the drugs allowed him to tool Vera (a good grappler as well).

I think Silva would once again beat Vera, this time i think it will be on his feet but last time i was shocked to see Vera get the better of him there, and Silva get the better of Vera on the ground....

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

Would like to see a vera return to heavyweight with added mass or hopefully we can get a cruiserweight for the bignogs, titos, veras, and Jones' out there with guys too powerful or smaller guys who dont raisin themselves to make weight.

gartface » Posted 7/29/07 7:00:00PM

Posted by ghandikush

Would like to see a vera return to heavyweight with added mass or hopefully we can get a cruiserweight for the bignogs, titos, veras, and Jones' out there with guys too powerful or smaller guys who dont raisin themselves to make weight.

I second this about Vera going up to heavyweight. I felt like he lost every advantage he had in the fight game when he dropped down. He was so much faster than most heavyweights and his well-rounded game was well-suited for it as well. He wouldn't do too well against wrestlers like Cain, Carwin, Russow, etc, but he would still have more of an advantage at heavyweight than 205.

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by ghandikush

I second this about Vera going up to heavyweight. I felt like he lost every advantage he had in the fight game when he dropped down. He was so much faster than most heavyweights and his well-rounded game was well-suited for it as well. He wouldn't do too well against wrestlers like Cain, Carwin, Russow, etc, but he would still have more of an advantage at heavyweight than 205.

Hes an accomplished wrestler so I think ading some mass he could counter wrestle and outstrike slower opponents.

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

rumors around about thiago silva vs igor pokrajac

Hendo187 » Posted 11/12/11 7:41:00AM

Doesnt Matter IMO Vera will lose to Silva. Its a shame Vera had to take time off from his intial UFC run at HW, Now hes a bottom tier fighter at best. He should go and fight smaller ORGs after he eventually gets cut from the UFC and re work his game. IMO

[View Full Version of this Page]