MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > UFC Forum
UFC Quick Quote: Jose Aldo will only move up to lightweight if it’s for an immediate title shot   [View Full Version]
sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

"It won't happen for now, unless he goes straight for a title shot. Not, "Oh no, he left the featherweight belt, moved up to lightweight and started from the beginning,' no way."

-- Andre Pederneiras, the trainer for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo and the leader of Brazilian mixed martial arts (MMA) team, Nova Uniao, talks to Sherdog.com about a possible move to the lightweight ranks for the scrappy Brazilian.

Link

Lesnar1 » Posted 3/28/11 2:47:00AM

I think Aldo should at least have 1 fight with a legit contender at LW before a title shot is given to him, just because he is FW champ then he thinks an automatic title shot should be given to him, that doesn't matter LW is a whole new wieght class, and I think he should earn a shot at the title. Imagine if Jon Jones moved up to HW and got an immediate title shot against Dos Santos or if Edgar moved To WW ( which is purely hypothetical, because there's no way Frankie could be a WW ) and got a shot at GSP right off the bat, it doesn't make sense and is unfair to other fighters in the division who have worked so hard to get a shot. Guys like Jim Miller, Clay Guida, Melvin Guillard, Nate Diaz & others who have been at LW for years deserve a shot more than Aldo imo, sure Aldo is an amazing fighter at FW but I still think he should earn a shot at the belt.

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

Posted by Lesnar1

I think Aldo should at least have 1 fight with a legit contender at LW before a title shot is given to him, just because he is FW champ then he thinks an automatic title shot should be given to him, that doesn't matter LW is a whole new wieght class, and I think he should earn a shot at the title. Imagine if Jon Jones moved up to HW and got an immediate title shot against Dos Santos or if Edgar moved To WW ( which is purely hypothetical, because there's no way Frankie could be a WW ) and got a shot at GSP right off the bat, it doesn't make sense and is unfair to other fighters in the division who have worked so hard to get a shot. Guys like Jim Miller, Clay Guida, Melvin Guillard, Nate Diaz & others who have been at LW for years deserve a shot more than Aldo imo, sure Aldo is an amazing fighter at FW but I still think he should earn a shot at the belt.

Hendo was the biggest name Anderson could fight at the time so they did after him losing. a title fight.

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

Penn was not as dominant as Aldo and he was able to move up several times to challenge for the WW title.

I don't think the ufc could deny Aldo of that one simple request.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

They put together the matches that fans want to see. There's no internal top 10 UFC ranking that we don't know about. If the fans want to see it they make it. Randy Couture got brought out of retirement for a Heavyweight title shot coming off of a loss at 205.

jakewalters » Posted 1/14/12 12:02:00AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Penn was not as dominant as Aldo and he was able to move up several times to challenge for the WW title.

I would imagine the real-world scenario is the opposite. I'm sure Aldo would be happy to stay at 145 and dominate everyone the UFC can find to feed to him.

I'm sure the UFC is hungry for Aldo to move up to 155, and the ball is in Aldo's court. Mendes was really the last huge test at 145 for Aldo, although Hioki would be a decent match.

I would be shocked if in a year there weren't concrete plans to move up to lightweight for Aldo. He's just too damn good,

kingsmasher » Posted 3/10/11 4:01:00PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I disagree at LW had Penn even ever lost a round at LW after teh Pulver fight? Not to mention thet weigfht class is significantly deeper...

tmas » Posted 6/15/07 2:09:00AM

if a champion moves up, they should get what they want regardless if its a title fight, they should get it, if its just to test the waters or for a specfic opponet they should get it. in a fight between any LW and Aldo.....im taking ALdo.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

Posted by tmas

if a champion moves up, they should get what they want regardless if its a title fight, they should get it

I agree under one condition. If there's someone else in the division fans would pay more to see face the champion.

But does anyone really actually see that at 155 post-Edgar/Benson?

tmas » Posted 6/15/07 2:09:00AM

i think Aldo has cleared out 145 enough, soon within the year he moves up gets an immediate title shot, wins, clears that out, moves up to WW gets immediate shot, wins agian....lol ok maybe some exagurations there.

there are no clear cut contenders after benson so that would be a good time for him to move up imo.

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

i think he deserves a LW title shot but in due time. there are others that are in line for title shots at LW like bendo. aldo would probably have to wait at least a year

40ouncetpkid » Posted 5/3/11 12:43:00AM

This isn't boxing though. Boxers can move up the next weight class because its only 5 pounds most the time where UFC all the weight classes are 10-20 pounds apart.

I wouldn't mind if he did get an immediate shot at Edgar but I would really like to see how he does against a top contender like the guillard-miller winner. I do think Edgar is the man that can beat him since he's fast, more technical then aldo who tends to get wild and mixes his boxing and wrestling to perfection. However getting hit by aldo is ten times worse then getting hurt by maynard imo. I can understand where aldos coming from too since he just slimmed his frame down for the mendes fight. The problem is their really isn't nobody else unless he wants to wait 6-9 months which nobody wants to see happen.

Cooler » Posted 6/7/10 4:11:00PM

Personally I think Aldo is P4P #2 in the world and is more than worthy of an immediate shot at having two belts at once and make history. But I would also like to see Aldo beat fighters like Hioki or the Zombie before the division is declared cleaned out.

[View Full Version of this Page]