MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > UFC Forum
Wanderlei Silva says Vitor Belfort rematch was lone fight he wanted before retirement   [View Full Version]
sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

With the exception of injuries or an act of God, Wanderlei Silva and Vitor Belfort will fight after Belfort meets Anthony Johnson on Saturday at UFC 142.

How much does Silva want to fight Belfort?

"A lot," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) during open workouts for the pay-per-view event, which takes place at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. "This is one fight I really, really want to do before I retire. I'm so happy for a fight with this guy in Brazil."

Silva (34-11-1 MMA, 4-6 UFC), who coaches opposite Belfort (20-9 MMA, 9-5 UFC) in the first Brazil-based edition of "The Ultimate Fighter," said the two will fight in Sao Paulo, where the two met some 14 years ago at "UFC Brazil: Ultimate Brazil" (UFC 17.5) and tryouts for the reality show recently took place.

Link

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

This fight should have happened a few years ago. Silva is much slower now and his tenacity is not what it used to be and I smell a similar fate for Silva - simply because Vitor is the better puncher.

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

Veetor will run through Wand faster in the rematch than in the first fight.

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

I hate it. Glad Wandy gets to leave on his own terms, though.

shaneTpain » Posted 7/30/11 2:57:00PM

After the Cung Le fight I aint ruling out anyting!
Ill jizz in my pants if Silva KOs Belfort & then retires super epic

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

I think they should let this fight happen. No matter what happens this weekend between Vitor and Rumble.
I think Wandy should be able to go out on his own terms, especially after his last win. Give them the next coaching spot on the Ultimate Fighter and let him be done after that. I like it.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

wow, its hard to believe its been 14 years since they fought

DrivenDavies15 » Posted 8/10/11 1:23:00AM

Either way this fight goes I hope to see him retire after this fight, dudes a legend and like someone said above me he gets to go out on his own terms in a fight he wanted.

mrsmiley » Posted 4/12/07 4:37:00PM

Like everyone else,I'm glad this is on his terms but man what a way to go out.
In Wandy's prime, I have no doubt he would have taken Vitor in a rematch but Silva is a different entity than he was in Prides hay day. My heart is with the axe murdered but my common sense tells me Vitor wins brutaly.

Lesnar1 » Posted 3/28/11 2:47:00AM

Wandy will win, Vitor will bumrush him and eat a high kick then a bunch of classic 'Axe Murderer' knees. But in all seriousness I don't think Wandy has much of a chance, i'd like to see him pull out a win but I think he's just to slow and old & his chin is far from what it used to be, Vitor wins this one for sure.

UFC_Fanatic » Posted 10/2/08 10:22:00AM

Posted by shaneTpain

Ill jizz in my pants if Silva KOs Belfort & then retires super epic

So it'll be something like that right?
I gotta say, it'll be something like that for me too. Huge fan of Wandy, and I would love nothing more than to see him go out on a win avenging a loss to a current contender in the division. I'll be hoping for that, but sadly I don't see it ending well for Wandy.

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

If Wandy won it would be like when Nog Ko'd Schaub, but times a billion.

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

Posted by Lesnar1

Wandy will win, Vitor will bumrush him and eat a high kick then a bunch of classic 'Axe Murderer' knees. But in all seriousness I don't think Wandy has much of a chance, i'd like to see him pull out a win but I think he's just to slow and old & his chin is far from what it used to be, Vitor wins this one for sure.

When was the last time Vanderlay high kicked someone? At his age, he would probably pull a groin. His chin and confidence is almost as fragile as Merko's.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

I think there is a better chance of the world ending or me winning the lottery than Wandy defeating Vitor.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

I think win or lose silva will retire

[View Full Version of this Page]