MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Ex-champ Sean Sherk aims for spring UFC return, wants to solidify HOF credentials   [View Full Version]
BuffaloDave » Posted 8/14/11 9:31:00PM

Inactive since a September 2010 win over Evan Dunham, the oft-injured Sherk (36-4-1 MMA, 8-4 UFC) now is planning for a spring or early-summer return to the octagon.

"I wanted to fight [in 2011]," Sherk told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) on Monday. "But I had the same issues that held me out of the octagon for 18 months. It's just injuries. It's injuries piling up.

"I fought too many times in the last five or six years with serious injuries. I don't feel the need at this point to fight injured. When you're fighting and not 100 percent, it's not a fun thing. It's not something fun to go through. It's not fun going through training camp when you need surgery."

At 38 years old, Sherk knows he's in the twilight of his career. He still trains five to six days per week, one or two times per day. He's there with the likes of UFC fighters Jacob Volkmann, Paul Bradley and Nik Lentz putting in the work. But for Sherk, he also has to worry getting healthy so he can reach his ultimate goal of getting back into the cage.

"I want to fight again," he said. "I'm a fighter. At this point in time, do I plan on fighting five or six more times? Probably not, to be honest with you. That's why I want big fights. I want co-main-event or main-event type fights that are going to cement my place in the UFC Hall of Fame. Absolutely, I think at this point in time, I've done enough to be a hall of famer, but I'd like a few more fights to make my mark."

"I fought for the world title in two different weight classes," he said. "I was No. 1 or No. 2 in two different weight classes in the world. I won a world title. I defended a world title. I think I've done enough to cement my place in the UFC Hall of Fame

"Most guys in the Hall of Fame right now didn't accomplish what I've accomplished. So I feel like I deserve that."

LINK

BuffaloDave » Posted 8/14/11 9:31:00PM

"Most guys in the Hall of Fame right now didn't accomplish what I've accomplished. So I feel like I deserve that."

He is right about that, except most of those guys accomplished more.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

2-1 in title fights, but in his lone defense got popped for roids, so Florian is his only legal title fight win. I don't care for Sherk's style too much, but I like him as a person. I would think a HOF'er should have more than one win in a title fight though, obviously.

Lesnar1 » Posted 3/28/11 2:47:00AM

I don't think Sherk should brag about his title fights and past rankings, + try compare his accomplishments with current hof members it just makes him look arrogant.

Wallass » Posted 10/7/08 5:39:00PM

If Sherk gets in the hall of fame then Fitch should too. Sherk doesn't deserve to get in!

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

I like Sherk, but he doesn't deserve the HOF.

gartface » Posted 7/29/07 7:00:00PM

His chances should be about as good as Rafael Palmeiro's.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Posted by FastKnockout

THIS

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

I he were to get in then Randleman would have to get in. Both just above .500, both 1-1 in title fights that didn't involve failed drug tests. Both suspended one year after drug tests in their careers. Neither one ever submitted anyone (technically one submission due to injury) or TKO'd anyone (technically one TKO due to cut) in their 18 combined UFC fights.

Pskinner_mma314 » Posted 8/2/08 4:16:00PM

Here is the issue with the UFC HOF. All the guys that, make it in were the big time BIG TIME superstars o the UFC, yet there are many other draws that bring people in to watch because of their exciting fights, IMO making it into the HOF should have a little to do with titles but, being that it is the hall of FAME, more attention should be focused on how often consistently people would want to watch the fight and see them perform.

Now I understand based on this logic, that Brock Lesnar would probably make it, *palm slap my own forehead* but therre are a few guys that should make the HOF that I don't think will.

Rampage, Wandy, Big Nog, Pulver, Hendo etc.

Now on topic, Sherk has been around for awhile, but I don't see him deserving of the HOF or two reasons, 1.)In his only title defence he got popped or illegal substances, and 2.)I don't hear people chomping at the bit to see Sean Sherk ight again.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Posted by FastKnockout

Agreed. He's got a great record and has only lost to the very best but still. His title run wasn't very impressive and he didn't really push the sport to new limits. That's what a HOFer should be. A guy that has changed the sport significantly for the better. I honestly can't say Sherk's name comes to mind when I think of fighters who have done that.

KoldKhaos » Posted 9/27/09 5:46:00PM

its one thing to be the one to resurrect the LW division....

Its another to start it *PULVER*

DeadHead988 » Posted 8/19/10 2:42:00PM

i don't ever think he'll be a hall of famer, but I've been wrong before

tallica62 » Posted 6/22/07 2:18:00AM

I really don't think Sherk has what it takes to be a top 5 anymore... he's like Joe Stevenson to me

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

Here is the issue with the UFC HOF. All the guys that, make it in were the big time BIG TIME superstars o the UFC, yet there are many other draws that bring people in to watch because of their exciting fights, IMO making it into the HOF should have a little to do with titles but, being that it is the hall of FAME, more attention should be focused on how often consistently people would want to watch the fight and see them perform.

Now I understand based on this logic, that Brock Lesnar would probably make it, *palm slap my own forehead* but therre are a few guys that should make the HOF that I don't think will.

Rampage, Wandy, Big Nog, Pulver, Hendo etc.

Now on topic, Sherk has been around for awhile, but I don't see him deserving of the HOF or two reasons, 1.)In his only title defence he got popped or illegal substances, and 2.)I don't hear people chomping at the bit to see Sean Sherk ight again.

Sherk has 2 fights in the last 3+ years. most casual fans have no idea who Sherk is or assume hes been cut/retired. had he been fighting more frequently, he would be on peoples minds

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

[View Full Version of this Page]