MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > UFC Forum
Rabi's History of the UFC   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Rabi » Posted 1/25/07 6:35:00PM

I will be reviewing past UFC events on the MMA@Work Podcast. After I have read them on the show I will post my write up on this thread.

UFC 1

I am starting a new segment (hopefully each week) where I will talk about an old UFC event starting with UFC 1 and working through them in chronological order.

I will give you a breakdown of the event, highlighting the most exciting part of the events, and where relevant a little bit of background history. I will also award my own UFC style bonuses for KOTN, SOTN, FOTN and fighter, this will just be my own opinion.

I will also set up a thread in the UFC forum and post what Ive read out on the show for people to leave comments.

Ok, so UFC 1 was and 8 man 1 night tournament, looking to put style against style, we had Kick boxers, BJJ, a boxer, a Sumo wrestler, Karate. Who had the best style? There was a meeting before the event to discuss rules, and the only things not allowed were biting and eye gouging, anything else goes.

The night started with Dutch Kick Boxer Gerard Gordeau taking on the largest fighter, Sumo wrestler Telia Tuli, this was the first time we saw a striker take on a grappler. The fight lasted approx 30 seconds and was quite brutal, Tulia charged Gordeau, took some punches, fell forward on to the floor, as he tried to get up Gordeau shin kicked him across his face knocking some of his teeth into the front row. This set a standard for how real this was going to be.

The second fight pitted to Karate style fighters against each other, Zane Frazier v Kevin Rosier, Frazier had an interesting back story which involved him having a fight and beating Frank Dux, the real life character the film Blood Sport was based on. These 2 fighters just came out looking to find range and strike, Frazier started the better, but there was a turning point in the match when Rosier just turned the fight around, the fight ended with Frazier on the floor up against the cage and Rosier standing over him, holding on to the cage and stomping on his head and body.

Both guys were exhausted and it came out afterwards that Frazier had an asthma attack which explained the sudden turn around from no where.

In the third match we finally got to see the main man, Royce Gracie vs the man with 1 boxing glove Art Jimmerson, this was quite an embarrassing performance by Jimmerson, who once he was taken down tapped. This is the line on wikipedia: Gracie wins via submission (full mount) at 2:18.

In the next match we got the fight that probably looked the most interesting on paper when the first round draw was made. We had kick boxer Pat Smith, and shoot fighter and future legend Ken Shamrock, these 2 fighters were the most intense out of all 8. Smith clearly had the advantage on the feet, but Shamrock knew what he was good at and got the takedown pretty much straight away, from the guard Shamrock sat back and started working for the ankle lock, he took 1 kick to the face, but shortly after that he sunk in the hold and Smith tapped.

There was a moment after the match when Smith was lying on the floor in pain and Shamrock (who looked really fired up) was being held back and basically being pulled away from Smith.

So after rd 1, we had are 4 semi finalists, we had Gerard Gordeau v Kevin Rosier and the most anticipated match up, Ken Shamrock v Royce Gracie.

Rosier still looked exhausted from his earlier match up and he had no answer for the superior striking of the Dutch kick boxer, the fight lasted less then a minute and ended with Gordeau stomping Rosier in the body, Gordeau's striking had looked really good all evening.

Gracie and Shamrock was also a very short fight, Shamrock was used to fighting in Japan where they didnt use chokes and as he was working for his own submission he left his neck open and Gracie choked him, there was a little bit of controversy as once Shamrock tapped, Gracie broke the hold straight away, the referee (not Big John McCarthy, he didnt start until UFC 2) did not see the tap and told them to continue fighting, Shamrock did acknowledge the tap and the fight ended.

We now had our final, kickboxing vs Gracie Jui Jitsu. As expected Gracie wasted no time taking Gordeau down, Gracie mounted, took his back and then sunk in the classic rear naked choke.

Royce Gracie was the UFC 1 champion.

My bonuses

KOTN Gordeau over Tulia
SOTN Shamrock over Smith
FOTN Rosier v Frazier
Fighter Gracie

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

awesome. i hope to save enough money to purchase 1-40 by the end of the summer

UFC 151: Never Forget

I love the history of the UFC, Im quite pleased that Ive watched every single UFC event.

Posted by Rabi

I love the history of the UFC, Im quite pleased that Ive watched every single UFC event.

i've made it a goal of mine to do that by the end of the year

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by Rabi

i've made it a goal of mine to do that by the end of the year

Have you watched all the Pride events?

Also, great job with this Rabi

Thanks Budge, Ive watched all of Pride as well.

shaneTpain » Posted 7/30/11 2:57:00PM

Cool! Ive watched UFC1 a few times BUT never noticed that the ref didnt see Shamrocks tap! Lovin the write-up Rab!!!!

Thanks Shane!

i've seen many of the pride fights, but no i havent seen them all.

one step at a time. im still in college & live in one of the poorest states in the US. it's gonna take some time lol

Thanks for piining the thread

calitrees » Posted 4/4/09 4:41:00PM

cool thread ill be reading all of them

Thanks Calitrees

twodragunns » Posted 6/10/10 2:15:00PM

Good reading Rabi .... I too have watched every single UFC event and happen to own every one on disk as well as having the entire Pride collection. I'm an mma junkie and have been since it all started and as this gr8 sport grows, so does our knowledge and experience as fight prognosticators.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Posted by twodragunns

Good reading Rabi .... I too have watched every single UFC event and happen to own every one on disk as well as having the entire Pride collection. I'm an mma junkie and have been since it all started and as this gr8 sport grows, so does our knowledge and experience as fight prognosticators.

I have a pretty huge collection as well, every UFC, Pride EliteXC, Bodog, with KOTC, Strikeforce, IFL, Cage Rage, SuperBrawl, Rumble on the Rock, Gladiator Challenge, and a few others

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

[View Full Version of this Page]