Pages: 1 [2]
tn_rebel » Posted 1/1/09 9:36:00PM

Posted by shaneTpain

OH CANADA
MY HOME & NATIVE LAND

of course i support my fellow countrymen

especially when one of them is the POUND FOR POUND BEST FIGHTER ON PLANET EARTH

I dont even have to say his name cause u already know its true

I thought Anderson Silva was from Brazil...

shaneTpain » Posted 7/30/11 2:57:00PM

FlashyG » Posted 2/13/08 10:33:00AM

Ranking GSP above Anderson would also qualify as a national bias IMO.

Thankfully its not one I suffer from, He's one of my favorite fighters but he's a clear #2 in my eyes, closer to #3 than #1.

ncordless » Posted 4/8/07 11:09:00PM

I don't cheer for all americans just because they are americans, but I will cheer for fighters from the state of Iowa just for being from the state of Iowa.
I also tend to cheer from Brazilians with a good favela story. But it really isn't nationality or ethnicity as much as overcoming tough circumstances.

kopower » Posted 7/3/07 12:31:00AM

I can honestly say there are no fighter's i've ever pulled for because they were American & the other fighter was not. also you will never hear me chant USA unless I'm watching an Olympic event or watching International soccer games.

This.

Also, like others have said, I do cheer for fighters from my home state, or train here. I mainly cheer for fighters I picked to win, or have some bets on. Very rarely, I will cheer against someone I have picked to win.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

FlashyG » Posted 2/13/08 10:33:00AM

Interesting that the Americans here all seem to split based on state lines rather than national ones like the rest of us.

I can't imagine a scenario where i would cheer for someone from Ontario or Toronto over another Canadian unless I had met them.

Toronto and Montreal have the strongest regional rivalry in Canada, and we love GSP in Toronto as if he was born here.

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

Posted by FlashyG

I started thinking about this a few minutes ago reading the thread about the members from the UK and their favorite fighters.

JJeans stated there are a few fighters he only likes cause their British. I kind of feel the same way about a few Canadian fighters,
Patrick Cote,
Jason MacDonald,
Sam Stout,
TJ Grant,
every Canadian who has ever been on TUF. (Including the guy whose only accomplishment was having his bed pissed on by Leben [Jason Thacker])

I don't see a lot of it in posts from Americans, but at live events its hard to miss the USA chant that happens from time to time.

So my question is, have you ever found yourself cheering for someone based solely on their nationality?

Of course. As much as we like to think we are above racism and prejudice, they are still alive and well in every community. I rooted for Okami because he is Asian. But then again, I root against a lot of other Asian fighters too so I really don't know if my support for Okami is because he is Asian or because he is a good fighter.

The simple answer to your question is yes. We are more attached to our kind, nationality, and or organization and if there is no reason to hate a fellow countrymen, associate, or whatever club it is you and him belong to, then more than likely - we will support him over a foreigner.

Example: I like GSP but if he was to fight Brian Stann, I would be rooting for Stann.

Geoffo » Posted 10/24/11 8:02:00PM

I usually cheer for fighters with great personalities and enough funny videos of them on Youtube to prove it hehehe :)

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

The ONLY fighter I like is Chael P. Sonnen

You don't say.......

UFC_Fanatic » Posted 10/2/08 10:22:00AM

Posted by ncordless

I don't cheer for all americans just because they are americans, but I will cheer for fighters from the state of Iowa just for being from the state of Iowa.
I also tend to cheer from Brazilians with a good favela story. But it really isn't nationality or ethnicity as much as overcoming tough circumstances.

Same here. I currently, and forever will root for Jeremy Stephens simply because he is from Iowa, and because a cousin of mine has actually sparred with him. My cousin said that Stephens hits just as hard as a lot of the middleweights that he has sparred with.

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

I just want to see the best fights possible, really don't care where anyone was born.

I might cheer for one fighter over another, but the only reason I would do that would probably be because I picked the guy to win and I want my pick to be correct lol.

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

Nope.

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Posted by FlashyG

I started thinking about this a few minutes ago reading the thread about the members from the UK and their favorite fighters.

JJeans stated there are a few fighters he only likes cause their British. I kind of feel the same way about a few Canadian fighters,
Patrick Cote,
Jason MacDonald,
Sam Stout,
TJ Grant,
every Canadian who has ever been on TUF. (Including the guy whose only accomplishment was having his bed pissed on by Leben [Jason Thacker])

I don't see a lot of it in posts from Americans, but at live events its hard to miss the USA chant that happens from time to time.

So my question is, have you ever found yourself cheering for someone based solely on their nationality?

Most of my favorite fighters are actually from Brazil (I'm American of German origin.)

I like their style and attitude. I don't care about nationality.

Maybe this is my national bias, but I think American's are more sensitive to multiple cultures and such.

Robnaldo » Posted 3/2/08 6:51:00PM

I'm from Canada and I'm not a fan of GSP.

(Mark Hominick and TJ Grant are two of my top favorites thou)

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

I don't care what country a fighter calls home, what his skin color is, or what higher power, if any, he worships. It's a fight to me, and all that excess information is out the window once it starts and I'm rooting for who I like to watch fight. For the most part, you'll better relate to fighters of your nationality though.

But if rooting for who you feel you relate to most is a bias then every single MMA fan is biased in some form or another.

Pages: 1 [2]

[View Full Version of this Page]