Forum Index > MMA General > MMA Training
BJJ Gi or No Gi   [View Full Version]
Geoffo » Posted 10/24/11 8:02:00PM

What do you guys prefer?
Gi or No gi?

Pros and cons of each?

come at me.

DeadHead988 » Posted 8/19/10 2:42:00PM

No Gi: More fun, more realistic, more translatable to MMA, better scoring system, more fun to watch.

Gi: One of those old traditions that's only kept around for the sake of tradition

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

Posted by DeadHead988

No Gi: More fun, more realistic, more translatable to MMA, better scoring system, more fun to watch.

Gi: One of those old traditions that's only kept around for the sake of tradition

More realistic? I disagree you get into a street fight and there is a good chance dude will be wearing pants shirt maybe a jacket. Knowing how to use his clothes to sweep, or choke him is a major advantage.

I no longer compete in timed No gi matches due to the fact scoring sucks. I will only compete in no time limit sub only tourneys. I have not done any Gi training I go to a MMA gym and they only offer no gi at this time. I will agree it transitions better.

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

Posted by DeadHead988

I was a Bravo no gi nutthugger. I was a wrestler too so no gi there.

I have come to realize that even though the gi is shit it absolutely helps a persons understanding of JJ.

For me it is just as much fun in gi because I am small and dexterious with my whole body against biggies. I do think the kimono design is inapplicable bullhit though for the street.

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

i prefer no-gi but gi definetly has its place. they really compliment eachother if you can train both. im a blue belt but since i started fighting the gi hasnt seen nearly as much action.

RyanC » Posted 8/25/09 5:08:00PM

I've trained both. Currently doing much more nogi since I'm at a 10th Planet gym, but I started out in the gi, at a Rickson affiliate school. We've got some guys, including myself, that still like to throw the gi on, and my coach actually still trains in it 2-3 days a week.

I enjoy both gi and nogi. They are just different.

Geoffo » Posted 10/24/11 8:02:00PM

Posted by postman

Posted by DeadHead988

More realistic? I disagree you get into a street fight and there is a good chance dude will be wearing pants shirt maybe a jacket. Knowing how to use his clothes to sweep, or choke him is a major advantage.

I no longer compete in timed No gi matches due to the fact scoring sucks. I will only compete in no time limit sub only tourneys. I have not done any Gi training I go to a MMA gym and they only offer no gi at this time. I will agree it transitions better.

Whats the diff. between No Gi scoring and Gi scoring?

Legattacks » Posted 3/4/13 7:20:00PM

No Gi... Other than rank I do not see why the Gi is needed. No Gi transfers to the street and MMA better than Gi.

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

prefer no gi.

however going with a gi its alot easier to get the takedown.love incorporating judo if/when we start standing

Paleojiujitsu » Posted 4/2/13 8:26:00PM

No GI - more basic, easier on cardio, better for fight prep

GI - more technical, tighter game, harder on cardio, more sanitary

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

I've never seen a naked street fight. Not even a mostly naked one.

No-gi is only more realistic if you're planning to get in a fight at the beach or if you are an MMA fighter. The ability to grip a person's clothing to control them is invaluable in a self-defense situation. Same goes for gi-chokes. Can you imagine cross choking someone with their winter-coat? Zipper strangulation FTW.

Even if you do plan on doing MMA, a good base in gi is a good idea before you train no-gi. No-gi is faster paced and much more slippery (yucky, I know.) You lose out on a lot of technique if you only train without the gi, especially in escaping submissions. You may be able to get away with muscling your way out of an arm-bar when you roll at the end of training session, but when you aren't sweaty and you're going against a technical guy in MMA, you can't get away with being sloppy.

At Team Curran the rule is you need 6 months of training in gi before you can come to no-gi class. Officially, fighters are required to train both, but many only usually do no-gi. I find those guys much easier to deal with than the fighters who train both.

Legattacks » Posted 3/4/13 7:20:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

I've never seen a naked street fight. Not even a mostly naked one.

No-gi is only more realistic if you're planning to get in a fight at the beach or if you are an MMA fighter. The ability to grip a person's clothing to control them is invaluable in a self-defense situation. Same goes for gi-chokes. Can you imagine cross choking someone with their winter-coat? Zipper strangulation FTW.

Even if you do plan on doing MMA, a good base in gi is a good idea before you train no-gi. No-gi is faster paced and much more slippery (yucky, I know.) You lose out on a lot of technique if you only train without the gi, especially in escaping submissions. You may be able to get away with muscling your way out of an arm-bar when you roll at the end of training session, but when you aren't sweaty and you're going against a technical guy in MMA, you can't get away with being sloppy.

At Team Curran the rule is you need 6 months of training in gi before you can come to no-gi class. Officially, fighters are required to train both, but many only usually do no-gi. I find those guys much easier to deal with than the fighters who train both.

I do not think you can compare street cloths to a Gi. A normal coat does not give you the ability to pull on it like a Gi without ripping.

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Posted by Legattacks

I do not think you can compare street cloths to a Gi. A normal coat does not give you the ability to pull on it like a Gi without ripping.

Definitely not the EXACT same thing. And obviously there are different kinds of clothing. A winter jack or a hoody though can work like a gi in a lot of ways. A t-shirt much less so.

In either case, the friction is important too. Its not JUST the grips.

Page » Posted 5/15/13 5:01:00PM

Don't care anymore, except when it gets hotter than hell in our gym, then no gi, hah.

aussiemma » Posted 1/27/12 10:34:00PM

i've been training bjj for about 4 months now and currently prefer gi. I train out of gracie sydney in alexandria. They tend to favour the gi obviously as it is a gracie gym but they do have no gi classes available every night.

i do respect both gi and no gi equally though, anyone who says gi is stupid is in fact stupid themselves. they are just different and should both be respected.

[View Full Version of this Page]