MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Dustin Jacoby went from pro debut to UFC 137 pay-per-view slot in 11 months   [View Full Version]
Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

When the squad at Fiore MMA heard Georges St-Pierre was injured and out of UFC 137, a buzz lit up the room.

Not because the UFC welterweight champ had been injured, of course, but because it meant that one lucky pair of fighters from the preliminary card would get a big promotion.

Maybe that pair would include team middleweight, Dustin Jacoby, who until the start of this month had been a sharp up-and-comer waiting for his big-show shot.

Jacoby, whose professional career started just 11 months ago, was already thrilled to have gotten a short-notice fight opposite Brad Tavares on the Facebook-streamed preliminary card of the Oct. 29 pay-per-view event. When a friend texted him late Tuesday that he'd gotten the main-card spot (and he confirmed the good news on MMAjunkie.com's mobile-phone app), life got a bit more interesting.

"It's been pretty hectic," Jacoby today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "To have an opportunity like this, it stepped everything up to a whole other level."

Jacoby (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Tavares (7-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is now the first fight of the pay-per-view card. UFC 137 takes place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Jacoby earlier this month stepped in for an injured Tim Credeur (12-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC)

LINK

DrivenDavies15 » Posted 8/10/11 1:23:00AM

Wow not even fighting professionally for a year, and is on UFC PPV. This kid either got lucky with it or is that good... Can't wait to see

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Wow not even fighting professionally for a year, and is on UFC PPV. This kid either got lucky with it or is that good... Can't wait to see

Unfortunately I think he's just in the right place at the right time. My guess is Tavares steamrolls him.

DrivenDavies15 » Posted 8/10/11 1:23:00AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Unfortunately I think he's just in the right place at the right time. My guess is Tavares steamrolls him.

Yeah wouldn't be too surprised but you never know with these new guys

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

Not by choice
This fight wouldn't even make a fight night main card and just
May be the worst fight on a main card pay perview this year

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Not by choice

You may want to look at their stats before saying something like that..

These two can bang. This fight could be fight of the night.

armbar66j7 » Posted 9/7/11 2:28:00PM

i think itll all work out, its still a killer card, but it does upset somewhat that cerrone/siver didnt get the nod

look, i get it ok, there on the free show, but for them it sucks, cuz cerrone and siver both deserve the recognition of being on the main card, especially in such an importnant title eliminator fight

i dint know, it just seems kinda fucked up to me. im glad i get to see it free, but i feel like when shit like this happens, some guys get screwed, siver/cerrones obviously tghe next best fight not on the main card.

i understand tho why dana would pick tavares/jacoby, he seems to have a soft spot for tavares, and has always given new guys a shot if he likes what he sees. but i dont think its some elaborate call up like with weidman to expose jacoby as some beast, i just think he did because itll most likely produce the most fireworks, as opposed to the other 3 fights, who might potentially bore the audience. who knows tho, could be good, could be quick, could piss a whole lot of people off, i just dont like the they do the whole call up fight, the guys on the spike prelims get fucked, they deserve to be able to say i was on ppv

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Not by choice

Its not about "stats", Prozac is right in saying its the worst fight on the main card, others should have been on before this fight.

kingsmasher » Posted 3/10/11 4:01:00PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Ha thats exactly what I thought when Shane carwin fought Gonzaga for his first UFC fight....

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by KungFuMaster

Not by choice

Its not about "stats", Prozac is right in saying its the worst fight on the main card, others should have been on before this fight.

Prozac is right because you two share the same opinions?

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by KungFuMaster

Not by choice

Prozac is right because you two share the same opinions?

Now you got it

[View Full Version of this Page]