MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > General MMA Talk
Do u enjoy watching Dominick Cruz fight??   [View Full Version]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

I think 155ers in the UFC are at 46% decisions now and it's too small a sample size for stats on 145 and 135 but decisions go up as weight classes go down.

If people aren't liking the lack of finishes at 135, those people are going to hate the 125 division even more.

jiujitsufreak74 » Posted 9/24/07 7:28:00PM

Posted by Kpro

I think 155ers in the UFC are at 46% decisions now and it's too small a sample size for stats on 145 and 135 but decisions go up as weight classes go down.

If people aren't liking the lack of finishes at 135, those people are going to hate the 125 division even more.

i recorded some data extending across a vast amount of UFC fights, (there was a thread i posted here about it) and the data was significant in pointing to the fact that as weight decreases, the amount of decisions increas(besides LHW for some reason lol). less size means less power behind punches and kicks so less KOs. less size also means more speed which means more scrambles so it becomes harder to "lay" on top of someone and land finishing GnP. i'll attach a link to the thread

LINK

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

I think they're pushing for a 125 division to tap into the asian market, and get momentum rolling in china. There's 1 Chinese fighter in the ufc, and really he calls himself Mongolian. There's more Chinese people than anything else. Thats a whole extra market to pull talent from.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Kpro

i recorded some data extending across a vast amount of UFC fights, (there was a thread i posted here about it) and the data was significant in pointing to the fact that as weight decreases, the amount of decisions increas(besides LHW for some reason lol). less size means less power behind punches and kicks so less KOs. less size also means more speed which means more scrambles so it becomes harder to "lay" on top of someone and land finishing GnP. i'll attach a link to the thread

LINK

Nice data jjfreak. Looks like LW's are at 48% decisions over the last 35 events in that data. I think it's safe to assume 135ers and 145ers will be at or above 50% decisions. Who knows, 125ers may be 60% or so once we have data on it.

I guess my only point as it relates to the thread is that those that don't enjoy watching some lighter weight fighters just because they don't finish need to realize, and I'll quote from above, " less size means less power behind punches and kicks so less KOs. less size also means more speed which means more scrambles so it becomes harder to lay on top of someone and land finishing GnP", EDIT

Sure there are many people who don't like Cruz's style and I get that. But to not like him because he doesn't finish often? They call them Featherweights for a reason. I'm sure when the sample size is large enough we'll probably see that about 55% of UFC 135 pound fights go to decision. Cruz has had 60% in his career go to decision. There's no logic for that to be a reason not to like a lighter weight fighter. Enjoy the time and hard work they put in, the show they put on, and don't be disappointed if there's no finish. The odds are worse than a coinflip that a finish will happen.

Hopefully those stats give some insight to some who are new to watching the new (to the UFC) lighter weight classes and what you should realistically expect from a fight at 135.

jiujitsufreak74 » Posted 9/24/07 7:28:00PM

i'm going to compile the data for all the ufc events from the one i left off with in that study until now. i will post the results in a new thread and see exactly how the BW and FW do. might do some WEC fights too. and the only reason i didn't say submissions is because submissions go up as the weight classes go down, probably because they are faster and don't get laid on as easy and can catch people in subs. plus JJ is meant for the smaller guy.

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

Posted by telnights

It was a good fight and I enjoined watching it. If I had to pick something to change I would say, I would have liked to have seen Cruz be a lot more aggressive with his GnP. I felt like sometimes he was just worried with holding position more than anything.

I thought he was doing it to make Mouse pull on him to exhaut those striking muscles, but then Cruz got tired too.

armbar66j7 » Posted 9/7/11 2:28:00PM

deffinetly the first time since his only loss that he actually had a look of "i cant figure this guy out" on his face, well at least in the begiinning, but im really impressed at how well he transitioned and adapted.as for mighty mouse i was also impressed as well as not only how fast he was, but how fluent he was at the same time, fun fight

Geoffo » Posted 10/24/11 8:02:00PM

I find it entertaining.
He does go for finishes, as shown in the Demetrious Johnson fight (RNC attempt)
Crazy footworks and nice takedowns. Fun to watch.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

[View Full Version of this Page]