MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > General MMA Talk
Do u enjoy watching Dominick Cruz fight??   [View Full Version]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Wallass » Posted 10/7/08 5:39:00PM

If you dont like his fights you have no soul.

warglory » Posted 2/4/07 2:44:00AM

If you watch MMA to simply see people get finished, you should go watch pro wrestling instead, or that stupid karate league hosted by Chuck Norris. This is a multi-faceted sport, with aspects that aren't dramatic. It's like saying you only watch American football to see the hard crunches; it's absolutely silly. Enjoy the sport for what it is, a tactical "close as you can get" fight, which includes learning to appreciate all styles.

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

The fact that he doesn't finish fights has zero to do with me not enjoying his fights. Someone mentioned it earlier but I think it's his awkwardness that I don't like. I can't really put a finger on it but, if I had to offer up an excuse, I'd say it's his odd/weird style.

Ahh screw it. I don't like him 'cuz his "bref stanks".

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

My answer to the thread is basically a yes. There are points during his fights where I don't enjoy what I'm seeing, but that's pretty rare.

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

I enjoy the fights. Footwork is always fun for me to watch, because i take a real analytic viewpoint and attempt to dissect the fundamentals of what i'm seeing. And i'm always on edge because i'm yelling for them to feint the right hand and follow up with a RHK as dominick dips to his left.

But at the same time, i don't really like his style of fighting, even though i do enjoy his fights.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Posted by Wallass

My secret is out...

tn_rebel » Posted 1/1/09 9:36:00PM

Posted by hashyandy4

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

A simple NO......would rather watch fresh paint dry with polka music playing in the background.

Let me guess, Chael is way more exciting??

Its going to be exciting watching Stann knock him out.

Adrenaline » Posted 4/4/09 2:45:00AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Posted by Wallass

My secret is out...

Based on these facts, you may be a ginger. I would get tested right away.

jiujitsufreak74 » Posted 9/24/07 7:28:00PM

i don't understand why a lot of the "hardcore" fans have this air of superiority about them when it comes to how people look at fights. people like finishes, no matter how "hardcore" you are. it doesn't make you better or more intelligent to prefer a 5 round war of attrition to a KO...it is just preference. you can't say someone isn't a true fan of MMA if they don't like to watch a Cruz fight because he doesn't finish. that's just as ignorant as those people saying that GSP isn't a fighter, he's a wrestler.

at the end of the day it is just personal opinion. it doesn't make you a "better fan" because you like the technical aspects of the game. "hardcore" fans need to learn that most people enjoy watching a decisive end to a fight, and there are a lot of "hardcore" fans that like that as well. i personally love watching Cruz fight, but i'm not going to look down on someone that doesn't.

sorry for the mini rant, but i'm tired of seeing these blanket statements saying someone isn't a fan because ____ or if you think ____ you are a retard. it is just a difference in opinion.

now i'm not saying that someone who says the ground game is for pussies is justified, but rather someone who says they prefer to watch more of a striking bout is entitled to believe so.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

I love Cruz fights. The way he can frustrate his opponents by avoiding almost all of their offense (basically identical to GSP level striking and takedown defense except the fights take place almost completely on the feet).

I'll always catch any Cruz fight I can and he's one of my favorite fighters. I do agree, if it's been said in this thread (I know it's been said in others), that him facing an elite striker with a jitz base to boot would be a great matchup and really put him to the test. I just don't know who that is.

I have no idea if I'm in the minority on this, and Cruz aside from this next comment, but a 50-45 is waaaaaay more dominant than a 10 second knockout.

My opinion.

UFC_Fanatic » Posted 10/2/08 10:22:00AM

Posted by Kpro

I love Cruz fights. The way he can frustrate his opponents by avoiding almost all of their offense (basically identical to GSP level striking and takedown defense except the fights take place almost completely on the feet).

I'll always catch any Cruz fight I can and he's one of my favorite fighters. I do agree, if it's been said in this thread (I know it's been said in others), that him facing an elite striker with a jitz base to boot would be a great matchup and really put him to the test. I just don't know who that is.

I'd say that the aforementioned elite striker with jj base is well within reach, but in a different weight class. Of course I am talking about Aldo. That would be a fight I would love to see, but I don't think it would end well for Cruz. Skills and everything aside, I think the size and power difference would pose problems for Cruz. Plus after finally watching his fight with Faber, and the way Cruz would momentarily show signs of being a little rocked every time Faber hit him makes me question how his chin would hold up to Aldo's shot. Also, if Aldo lands just a few of those leg kicks how much would it take away from Cruz's perplexing and unorthodox movement? Would he be able to take Aldo down given Aldo's exceptional take down defense? These are all questions that I would love to see answered, but I don't know that they will be any time soon. Both still have some work to do in their respective divisions before this fight happens.

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by Kpro

I'd say that the aforementioned elite striker with jj base is well within reach, but in a different weight class. Of course I am talking about Aldo. That would be a fight I would love to see, but I don't think it would end well for Cruz. Skills and everything aside, I think the size and power difference would pose problems for Cruz. Plus after finally watching his fight with Faber, and the way Cruz would momentarily show signs of being a little rocked every time Faber hit him makes me question how his chin would hold up to Aldo's shot. Also, if Aldo lands just a few of those leg kicks how much would it take away from Cruz's perplexing and unorthodox movement? Would he be able to take Aldo down given Aldo's exceptional take down defense? These are all questions that I would love to see answered, but I don't know that they will be any time soon. Both still have some work to do in their respective divisions before this fight happens.

It's too bad Aldo will probably be at 155 before Cruz even loses his 135 strap with his difficulties hitting 145 We need a 20 pounds lighter version of Aldo. Someone call Nova Uniao.

warglory » Posted 2/4/07 2:44:00AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i don't understand why a lot of the "hardcore" fans have this air of superiority about them when it comes to how people look at fights. people like finishes, no matter how "hardcore" you are. it doesn't make you better or more intelligent to prefer a 5 round war of attrition to a KO...it is just preference. you can't say someone isn't a true fan of MMA if they don't like to watch a Cruz fight because he doesn't finish. that's just as ignorant as those people saying that GSP isn't a fighter, he's a wrestler.

at the end of the day it is just personal opinion. it doesn't make you a "better fan" because you like the technical aspects of the game. "hardcore" fans need to learn that most people enjoy watching a decisive end to a fight, and there are a lot of "hardcore" fans that like that as well. i personally love watching Cruz fight, but i'm not going to look down on someone that doesn't.

sorry for the mini rant, but i'm tired of seeing these blanket statements saying someone isn't a fan because ____ or if you think ____ you are a retard. it is just a difference in opinion.

now i'm not saying that someone who says the ground game is for pussies is justified, but rather someone who says they prefer to watch more of a striking bout is entitled to believe so.

If this is in reference to my comment, it wasn't meant to give off a sense of "superiority." Watching a sport like mma, where there are a ton of different dynamics involved, should require an appreciation for all aspects. Saying that a fight is less exciting simply because there was no finish is like saying you are a basketball fan, but only when they are slam dunking, or a hockey fan, only when there are fights. I am not saying anyone here falls into any black and white category of why they watch mma, I'm just saying that it makes no sense to me how you can be a hardcore fan of this sport and be disappointed in a fight simply because there was no finish. Of course there are boring fights, and if people don't like Cruz simply because they think his style is boring, that's fine, but not liking him because he doesn't finish makes absolutely no sense to me.

jiujitsufreak74 » Posted 9/24/07 7:28:00PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

If this is in reference to my comment, it wasn't meant to give off a sense of "superiority." Watching a sport like mma, where there are a ton of different dynamics involved, should require an appreciation for all aspects. Saying that a fight is less exciting simply because there was no finish is like saying you are a basketball fan, but only when they are slam dunking, or a hockey fan, only when there are fights. I am not saying anyone here falls into any black and white category of why they watch mma, I'm just saying that it makes no sense to me how you can be a hardcore fan of this sport and be disappointed in a fight simply because there was no finish. Of course there are boring fights, and if people don't like Cruz simply because they think his style is boring, that's fine, but not liking him because he doesn't finish makes absolutely no sense to me.

honestly wasn't referencing anyone here, i have just been reading a lot of internet boards where people are being assholes and getting stuck up about their point of view. as far as not liking him because he doesn't finish, that's honestly understandable to me. the best fighters are supposed to finish fights, and while i particularly love watching people like cruz and edgar fight, i understand when people get frustrated with lack of finishes. finishes create a decisive end. finishes create drama. its perfectly reasonable for someone to not like a fighter because they don't finish (i am not one of those people but i understand) because it is all personal preference. you can't associate someone's preference to their knowledge of the sport. just because you don't like decisions doesn't mean you lack knowledge. the only indicator of someone lacking knowledge is someone saying things like, "he's a pussy he's afraid to strike so he wrestles" or "kicks are for girls" or even "i hate when he just lays on top of him doing nothing (when he is actively trying to pass and landing shots)".

it is comments like those that are good indicators, not someone's preference to finish or decision. it is frustrating to a lot of people to accept that someone is the best fighter in a weight class and have them never finish someone in a 25 minute span. it also doesn't help when Anderson Silva and now Jon Jones are finishing fights AND dominating them (besides Sonnen/Silva) so i completely get why people take not finishing as a quality to dislike. but again, that is not my personal sentiment.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

[View Full Version of this Page]