MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Once able to take the money and run, UFC 135's Mark Hunt instead wanted a fight   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

When the UFC purchased and ultimately disbanded its rival, PRIDE Fighting Championships, veteran heavyweight Mark Hunt was offered a pretty sweet deal.

Quite simply, the UFC was willing to pay him to go away and surrender his contracted fights.

But the PRIDE veteran didn't want to do that, and following a hard-fought decision victory over Ben Rothwell at Saturday's UFC 135 event, UFC president heaped praise on him.

In fact, it was White who convinced Hunt to attend the post-fight press conference for UFC 135, which took place Saturday at Denver's Pepsi Center. Hunt (7-7 MMA, 2-1 UFC) fought Rothwell (31-8 MMA, 1-2 UFC) on the night's pay-per-view main card.

"I actually asked Mark to come to this press conference," White said. "Many of you probably don't know, or some of you do know, when we bought PRIDE, he came as part of the PRIDE deal. It was back and forth, and basically I was like, 'You know what? We'll just pay you off what we owed you in the PRIDE deal.' Mark Hunt said, 'No, I want to come, and I want to fight.'"

LINK

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

It really bothers me to see this in 2011.

"(7-7 MMA, 2-1 UFC)"

EDIT: Nice win for Hunt though. He's clearly improving so good for him.

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

if he can stay away from getting taken down, he always has the chance to punish people on the feet. always been a fan, but that was one ugly fight. a W is a W though

UFC 151: Never Forget

FlashyG » Posted 2/13/08 10:33:00AM

Posted by Budgellism

"(7-7 MMA, 2-1 UFC)"

I agree it looks bad but look who he lost too,

Fedor, Barnett, Overeem, Manhoef, and Mousasi, plus wins over Wandy and Cro Cop in his prime. Hunt is a lot better than his record indicates.

Other than him and to a lesser extent Lesnar is there anyone who has faced that level of competition from their first fight to their most recent?

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Budgellism

"(7-7 MMA, 2-1 UFC)"

I agree it looks bad but look who he lost too,

Fedor, Barnett, Overeem, Manhoef, and Mousasi, plus wins over Wandy and Cro Cop in his prime. Hunt is a lot better than his record indicates.

Other than him and to a lesser extent Lesnar is there anyone who has faced that level of competition from their first fight to their most recent?

Mark Hunt's worst caliber opponents have been in the UFC

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Props to Hunt for not taking the easy route. He could have fought elsewhere but wanted to fight in the big show. And props to Dana for keeping him around. He could have just said too bad and cut him.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

I wouldn't really say that hunt won that match more like rothwell beat himself

mattjonesy » Posted 5/22/07 7:05:00PM

Come on guys give Hunt his props! The guy is a warrior and very entertaining. I hope he pulls off a few more upsets in the future!

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

I hope they give Hunt a good striker if he takes another fight, I mean idk how his contract is.

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

Hunt has fought a Submission guy, a Wrestler, and a Well-rounded guy in his three fights in the UFC.

I think it's time he get's a striker. Cmon Barry!

warglory » Posted 2/4/07 2:44:00AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

That's ridiculous, Hunt schooled Rothwell. There was one moment at the end of the first where Rothwell had the upper hand, but other than that, this fight was all Hunt.

mrsmiley » Posted 4/12/07 4:37:00PM

They should put him on the Japan card for his next fight.Not sure who I would put him against though.

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by prozacnation1978

That's ridiculous, Hunt schooled Rothwell. There was one moment at the end of the first where Rothwell had the upper hand, but other than that, this fight was all Hunt.

This.

I think Hunt won every round.

BeeR » Posted 6/28/09 1:36:00PM

I see hunt fighting peewee or browne next

Franklinfan47 » Posted 5/20/07 4:03:00PM

Much respect for Hunt, war Super Samoa!!

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]