MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Dana White: Wanderlei Silva's octagon career on line in UFC 139 bout with Cung Le   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

DENVER – Following a first-round knockout loss to Chris Leben at July's UFC 132 loss, Wanderlei Silva's future with the UFC was uncertain.

Now he's back, co-headlining at this falls's UFC 139 event in a fan-friendly bout with Cung Le (7-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

But now more than ever, Silva (31-11-1 MMA, 3-5 UFC) needs a win to continue on the octagon, UFC president Dana White today proclaimed. The UFC boss said he has nothing but love for "The Axe Murderer," but another loss will likely end his run in the UFC.

"It's one of those things," White said. "There's this fine line between telling a guy you've got to hang it up and him actually wanting to hang it up. We'll give him this fight with Cung Le, and we'll go from there."

mmajunkie

mattjonesy » Posted 5/22/07 7:05:00PM

Would love to see Wand go out on a win! dont think it will ever happen though!

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Heard this before with Cro-Cop

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

Le is a bad match up for Wanderlei. Wandy loves to brawl and Le is more of a tactician who likes to stick and move. This is a fight which is tailored, trimmed and manicured specifically for Le as he will be fighting in his home town.

tallica62 » Posted 6/22/07 2:18:00AM

I think it's an unfortunate truth. I believe he is entering Chuck Liddell end of career status....dangerous waters, and can be a sad sight to see such a legend go out that way.... he has developed CLS (chuck liddell syndrome) as of late

either way, i still look forward to seeing him fight and always will

mrsmiley » Posted 4/12/07 4:37:00PM

Dana White: Michael Bispings octagon career on line in UFC bout with Mayhem Miller.

That's what this thread should be.....

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

I hope silva wins. I don't want him cut from the ufc

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Dana White: Michael Bispings octagon career on line in UFC bout with Mayhem Miller.

That's what this thread should be.....

hahahah

Wandy has had just too many wars.. his decade of fighting has been like 3 decades worth of damage, he just cant take the shots anymore.. This is deff better for Cung Le (saw VItor KOin him in rd 1) Wandy likes to brawl n Le will pick him apart, plus his San Shou will help if it goes t the clinch also

Cooler » Posted 6/7/10 4:11:00PM

Then why not give him a safe fight like Bisping gets once a year.

Hendo67 » Posted 11/18/08 1:59:00PM

Posted by Cooler

Then why not give him a safe fight like Bisping gets once a year.

Bispings whole career has been safe fights minus Dan Henderson, hah.

gartface » Posted 7/29/07 7:00:00PM

Good thinking, Dana. Le is probably going to pick Wanderlei apart and put him to sleep early.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

Posted by tallica62

I think it's an unfortunate truth. I believe he is entering Chuck Liddell end of career status....dangerous waters, and can be a sad sight to see such a legend go out that way.... he has developed CLS (chuck liddell syndrome) as of late

either way, i still look forward to seeing him fight and always will

the difference is that Chuck is still competitive if he had a chin. he was dominating Franklin (and broke his arm) and was winning the first round vs Shogun before his chin failed him. Wandy got KOd in under a min vs Leben and was getting picked apart for most of the Bisping fight (minus the final minute of each round)

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

RhythmAndStyle » Posted 1/25/08 3:12:00PM

Posted by Bubbles
the difference is that Chuck is still competitive if he had a chin. he was dominating Franklin (and broke his arm) and was winning the first round vs Shogun before his chin failed him. Wandy got KOd in under a min vs Leben and was getting picked apart for most of the Bisping fight (minus the final minute of each round)

duno what match u was watchin, but at no point in the match against Shogun was Chuck winnin,,lmfao!

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Posted by Bubbles

duno what match u was watchin, but at no point in the match against Shogun was Chuck winnin,,lmfao!

Pretty sure the consensus was that he was winning the round prior to the knockout. Not that it was domination, but he was for sure outpointing him.

I think Wandy has a chance in this fight. If he gets hit on the Chin, his Chuck Liddell Syndrome will kick in. But, if Scott Smith can knock Le out, so can Wandy. Le likes to have range to set up his kicks (which because of his style take even more space than traditional Thai kicks) while Wandy wants to get in close and flurry.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

Wandy won't get knocked out by Cung Le, he might even win, but I think he'll have flashes but will lose a close decision and hang around for another fight.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]