MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Dana White: Facebook Fights to End in January, All Fights Will Be Televised   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Interviwer: One thing we've noticed recently is the Facebook fights. Is that going to continue with the ongoing Fox deal, or is that going to go away with the prelims and all that stuff?

Dana: Yeah it will go away when the Fox deal starts, which is in January. Because all that programming now, I mean the reason we did the Facebook fights was because nobody could see those fights. So we put them up on Facebook as an option for fans, because we always love to give more fights. But with the fact that Fox wants to pick up all these fights, they'll be on television now.

LINK

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

YES! Music to my ears!

kopower » Posted 7/3/07 12:31:00AM

I like it. I just hope they air on a channel that I have.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

SpiderSilva » Posted 7/10/07 6:44:00PM

Posted by kopower

I like it. I just hope they air on a channel that I have. [/QUOTE

me too

only thing that stopped me was only being able to watch on my desktop pc and it was hard to bbq and watch at the same time now its perfect!

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

Why switch from a free form available across the whole world to a smaller more selective audience?
The Facebook fights have gotten so many people in the UK and Europe interested in MMA and the UFC its shocking. Now the UFC has taken TUF off ESPN an put it on a channel no one has and they are doing the same with the Facebook fights.

I don't get how dramatically limiting your audience is a good thing. Half the new fans have no idea how to watch the fights now and the other half have no idea its even moved.

Sounds great if you're in the USA but for anyone outside its no looking good.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

Posted by kopower

I like it. I just hope they air on a channel that I have.

Most likely, Fuel TV.....which I have

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by SmileR

Why switch from a free form available across the whole world to a smaller more selective audience?
The Facebook fights have gotten so many people in the UK and Europe interested in MMA and the UFC its shocking. Now the UFC has taken TUF off ESPN an put it on a channel no one has and they are doing the same with the Facebook fights.

I don't get how dramatically limiting your audience is a good thing. Half the new fans have no idea how to watch the fights now and the other half have no idea its even moved.

Sounds great if you're in the USA but for anyone outside its no looking good.

Because I'm sure they're losing money putting them on Facebook. As he said, it works well when their aren't any other options. If there's an option to break even or make a profit, that would be the best decision for business. You may lose some viewers, but it's a sustainable model. Also, I wouldn't doubt if they still broadcast on Facebook or their website for countries that don't have a TV deal...it's extremely easy to just geo-filter the content.

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

Awesome. I always felt PPV events were rather short. Many times I barely become immune to the alcohol and the event is already over.

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by SmileR

I wouldn't doubt if they still broadcast on Facebook or their website for countries that don't have a TV deal...it's extremely easy to just geo-filter the content.

This all day! I have been wondering why they haven't just aired the whole cards on TV. Now that they are.... Oh man, this is sick to the third degree! Everyone wins here. You know they can easily throw on a Facebook stream for regions that might not have televised access to the fights. Or UFC.tv or something.

isk » Posted 12/5/07 12:38:00PM

Yeah, this is obviously a much better business deal. Fox gets the ad revenue while the UFC help promote the brand through free TV. And that as much as anything else was the reason for the UFC's expansive growth, starting with the first TUF. Meanwhile, the prelims on Facebook were for the core fans, like us.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like this personally - I've thrived without cable for years, and this means I might have to not only add it as an expense but dish out extra for the HD package. Whenever I buy something I make sure it's quality and necessity, so I hate expenses that I barely use.

I hope they can work out a deal to where they're simulcast both on Facebook and Fox. Not holding my breath, but it would be fantastic.

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

Posted by isk
I've thrived without cable for years, and this means I might have to not only add it as an expense but dish out extra for the HD package. Whenever I buy something I make sure it's quality and necessity, so I hate expenses that I barely use.

I hope they can work out a deal to where they're simulcast both on Facebook and Fox. Not holding my breath, but it would be fantastic.

If you have thrived without cable for years, why would that change now? Last time I checked, you could get Fox on rabbit ears... FX is on pretty much every basic level cable and satellite package.... Fuel is the only station you'd have to worry about. Even then, I doubt the UFC will have any new cards on Fuel. I think they just might have countdown shows, TUF re-runs, who knows. Just speculating here.

Shoot, I recently sprang for $7 a month on my cable bill for a package that included MTV 2 and Fuel, so now I get my Bellator, Shark Fights, and all the other random little promotions. So.... You have options dude, and in my opinion they are better looking options than what was previously available. And again, if you are relying on the internet, there are always streams. Not that I endorse that sort of thing....

ncordless » Posted 4/8/07 11:09:00PM

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Posted by pmoney

If you have thrived without cable for years, why would that change now? Last time I checked, you could get Fox on rabbit ears... FX is on pretty much every basic level cable and satellite package.... Fuel is the only station you'd have to worry about. Even then, I doubt the UFC will have any big cards, if any, on Fuel. I think they just might have countdown shows, TUF re-runs, who knows. Just speculating here.

Shoot, I recently sprang for $7 a month on my cable bill for a package that included MTV 2 and Fuel, so now I get my Bellator, Shark Fights, and all the other random little promotions. So.... You have options dude, and in my opinion they are better looking options than what was previously available. And again, if you are relying on the internet, there are always streams. Not that I endorse that sort of thing....

First off, pmoney, you prop fiend. On average for my last 50 props, you've been every 5th prop. I've gotta spread the love, but I owe you one.

Secondly, I have the Canadian version you of basically. I've got the Score for my Bellator, Score fighting series, the air another smaller canadian org but I can't remember the name at the moment (I bought a q of some very danky sweet stuff for 45 bucks today, but that's another story), HDnet for MFC, Dream, Shark Fight, Legacy, K-1, It's Showtime, among other orgs and Sportsnet for HD UFC.

It just goes to show, it's a great time to be an mma fan.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

I don't have facebook so this will help me out a lot seeing the prelims

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

Posted by ncordless

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes.

(Turn and face the strain)

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]