MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > MMA Training
getting into mma   [View Full Version]
cagerage920 » Posted 12/2/10 5:25:00PM

i am 18 and ive been training in taekwondo and karate since i was 7. ive competed at several tournaments and im pretty good. i was actually the arkansas state champ.

Now i want to try to get into mma and im wondering if i should go to a mma gym or do something like bjj or wrestling and combine it with my stand up?

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

Go to a MMA gym. Your going to need to break alot of habits from your TKD training. go to a school that has Grappling and stand up and learn to blend them.

decken » Posted 8/20/07 11:53:00AM

Go to an MMa gym and focus on your ground game. It has been my experience that 90% of amateur fights neglect their ground game. Just remember anyone can throw a punch far less people can defend an arm bar.

DeadHead988 » Posted 8/19/10 2:42:00PM

What part of Arkansas do you live in?

ShadowFighter » Posted 7/22/11 4:12:00PM

i to took taekwondo when i was young, but to tell you the truth i hated it, we werent learning anything, we would do the same thing for 2 weeks, but it got me intrested, im about to go to a local gym and train in mauy thai and bjj, if you looking for bjj and mauy thai, look for a gracie barra in your area, if your looking for somthing like wrestling, try a local gym. GOOD LUCK

Bac » Posted 9/14/11 10:51:00AM

Posted by cagerage920

i am 18 and ive been training in taekwondo and karate since i was 7. ive competed at several tournaments and im pretty good. i was actually the arkansas state champ.

Now i want to try to get into mma and im wondering if i should go to a mma gym or do something like bjj or wrestling and combine it with my stand up?

You, Gym, grapple. if no sparring partner? use a dummy (submission master) you are 18 and a taekwondo state champ. 3 or 4 years grappling training = mma phenom! Go! unleash the beast in you!

BradleyCooper » Posted 3/13/12 1:33:00AM

hi.You should definitely go to a proper mixed martial arts training school. combine it with brazilian jiu-jitsu or muay thai kickboxing.
good luck!!!

[View Full Version of this Page]