MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   [View Full Version]
Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

UFC president Dana White readily admits it's difficult to predict the direction of his promotion's entire roster mere moments after an event concludes.

Who gets cut, who stays, who moves up the ladder – White said he prefers to reflect for a day or two, then convene with UFC officials Lorenzo Fertitta and Joe Silva to make group decisions.

However, White did say a trio of fighters – namely Jim Miller (20-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC), Chael Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 3-4 UFC) and Brian Stann (11-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) – are all within striking distance of a shot at a UFC title and will soon find themselves in potential No. 1 contender fights.

LINK

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

I didn't take the article seriously due to the fact that he used Chael Sonnen and title shot in the same sentence.

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I didn't take the article seriously due to the fact that he used Chael Sonnen and title shot in the same sentence.

I didn't take the article seriously due to the fact that he used Brian Stann and title shot in the same sentence.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by FastKnockout

I didn't take the article seriously due to the fact that he used Brian Stann and title shot in the same sentence.

you don't think that if Stann beats chael (sonnen takes it) that he deserves a title shot? With that logic, chael would be at least a fight away from another title shot.
And on that note, isn't chad $ mendes close to a title shot as well

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

I think Sonnen would need to beat Stann and then no. 1 contender fight before another title shot. However, the UFC would prolly set up Silva/Sonnen 2 just because, if Sonnen beats stann.

Vitor needs 1 more contender fight before title shot.

DosBox » Posted 12/30/08 7:15:00PM

Yep agree with Dana on all three accounts.

Considering Sonnen's last fight against Silva (how it went), its likely that UFC would try to push that rematch.. heck, if I remember correctly they even made the rematch until Sonnen got suspended.

Also, take into consideration Silva/Okami matchup.. if Okami wins, Sonnen beat Okami and it would make sense from that standpoint as well (that Sonnen is at least somewhat deserving/relevant of a title shot). It doesnt hurt that he has become a PPV draw as well.

If Stann wins, it puts him at winning 4 straight at 185 and a fresh challenger to vie for the the title... with a good story line to boot.

Jim Miller just flat out wins, and would be deserving if he defeats Ben Henderson.
Although, i've never really given Benson that much credit, im starting to think this fight is closer than I thought it could ever be.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

Miller yes
Stann yes
Sonnen no
I think sonnen vs belfort or bisping should happen
Being out for a year and fighting stann should not get you a title shot

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

Belfort, Sonnen/Stann winner, Bisping (after he beats Mayhem), and Leben/Munoz winner are all in line for a title shot. match any of them together to determine the next 2 title contenders which will be based on timing/injuries

for example

Belfort vs Bisping
Sonnen/Stann vs Leben/Munoz

Sonnen/Stann/Leben/Munoz will get the first shot while Bisping/Belfort winner get the shot afterwards

as for Jim Miller, have him fight and beat a TOP TEN LW. as far as i know, none of his recent wins have come against a top 10 opponent. how the hell is he deserving of a title shot? at least Dan Hardy beat a #8ish ranked Swick

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

Posted by Bubbles

Belfort, Sonnen/Stann winner, Bisping (after he beats Mayhem), and Leben/Munoz winner are all in line for a title shot. match any of them together to determine the next 2 title contenders which will be based on timing/injuries

for example

Belfort vs Bisping
Sonnen/Stann vs Leben/Munoz

Sonnen/Stann/Leben/Munoz will get the first shot while Bisping/Belfort winner get the shot afterwards

as for Jim Miller, have him fight and beat a TOP TEN LW. as far as i know, none of his recent wins have come against a top 10 opponent. how the hell is he deserving of a title shot? at least Dan Hardy beat a #8ish ranked Swick

seeing vitor punch bisping a billion times in 30 sec is enough for a one fight fight card and still make money, but i think if sonnen wins he prb gets a shot cause of how the last figth went down vs silva. I think bisping has the most ground to cover to reach a title shot, I really like the leben/munoz match up, if Stann wins then he should get a shot too seeing as that a win over leben then sonnen, I would like him to fight once more but depends on if silva wants to fight again at MW or go to LHW. it would make sense for him to fight at LHW so you can have a another match between all these guys to clear up the #1 contender a lil better.

Wolfenstein » Posted 12/13/07 3:31:00AM

Jim Miller is the only guy I'd say unquestionably is in line for a shot, and maybe you can add Chael since he was very close to beating Silva--rib injury or not.

Stann is kind of a surprise, and really I think he's getting boosted by the hype machine.

He's won three in a row against middle of the road competition, although you could really put Massenzio and Santiago as guys on the bottom rung of the ladder in the UFC as they've both lost more than they've won in the octagon. Leben is a respectable win, but even he is just getting some favorable matchups--it wasn't long ago that he was dominated by Bisping.

Really I guess it just says something about the MW division, which is in need of a major injection of talent.

[View Full Version of this Page]