MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > UFC Forum
Heath Herring was a total disappointment   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
MMA » Posted 1/13/07 11:38:00AM

That was a horrible performance by him, he looked like total shit. I have a feeling he did not train very hard for this fight because he gassed during the later rounds. And what was up with those lame ass excuses?

He showed no takedown defence and was easily mounted by O'Brien. He also gave up his back on a number of occasions. I was very surprised that O'Brien could not finish him. There was a total lack of action and a boring fight overall.

CommanderMander » Posted 1/15/07 8:13:00PM

I'd have to agree with you on some points. I dont think Herring took the fight that serious either. O'Brien didnt exactly have a stellar performance either. I got kind of pissed at Big John for taking so long to stand them back up in the last round . I HATE fighters that LnP, it makes for the worlds most boring fights. Both fighters should be embarrassed at their performances.

BloodandTears » Posted 1/25/07 2:58:00PM

Posted by MMA

That was a horrible performance by him, he looked like total shit. I have a feeling he did not train very hard for this fight because he gassed during the later rounds. And what was up with those lame ass excuses?

He showed no takedown defence and was easily mounted by O'Brien. He also gave up his back on a number of occasions. I was very surprised that O'Brien could not finish him. There was a total lack of action and a boring fight overall.

You can not deny this post in any way!!! I had Herring from the get go and he really let me down. His take-down defense as you said was as sloppy as it gets. His excuses sucked, but his hair was rockin!!!

pv3Hpv3p » Posted 1/24/07 6:08:00PM

Posted by MMA

I will somewhat agree, but it was a poor performance on both their parts. The only thing that really dissappointed me about HH was his complete lack of TD defense. I personally think that heath was giving up his back because O'brien didn't pose a threat when he did so. Since HH wasn't aftaid of getting subbed, it made it easier to sneak out the back door and stand back up (where he obviously wanted the fight to be). I hope this loss can be atributed to ring rust, and I hope Hearring comes back fired up and ready to fight.

Furthermore, O'brien won the fight like it was a collegeate wrestling match. I never thought that he came anywhere near finishing the fight, and I don't tend to respect (as much) a victory won on how many takedowns you can get, as appose to someone that can finish a fight decisivley. Where's the GnP? Let me see some subs attempted. Let me see something that shows you want to finish the fight. And also, it didn't say much for O'brien when that soft looking jab knocked him down in the first, and I believe that if HH had another minute / minute and a half after that right hand in the end of the 3rd he could have finished the fight.

In all it was a disappointment on both sides. Props to O'brien for the W, but the kid really needs some work on his finishing skills. He seemed strong as a bull w/ good TD's, but if he could get into a Greg jackson type camp (one making itself known for turning wrestlers into much more well rounded fighters) then he could maybe make an impact in the HW div. As for Heath, I haven't givin up faith yet. I hope Joe Silva putts him in there with someone that wants to stand and maybe we can see that old Heath again.

MMA » Posted 1/13/07 11:38:00AM

Herring is an experienced veteran so he should hang his head in shame.

I already stated that I was surprised that O'Brien could not finish the fight given ample opportunities to do so. It was a typical lay n' pray victory, but that does not take away his accomplishment. It was a joke how easily he passed Herring's guard.

If only O'Brien trained more on his submissions and ground n' pound ...

Daaga » Posted 1/26/07 10:54:00AM

Herring came in about 10-15 lbs overweight. He didn't look at all like the same fighter that charged Tom Erickson years ago. He's being overpaid win or lose, so if I were him, I really wouldn't give two spits.... at least not until that juicy contract expires

madmarck » Posted 1/24/07 5:55:00PM

Posted by BloodandTears

Posted by MMA

You can not deny this post in any way!!! I had Herring from the get go and he really let me down. His take-down defense as you said was as sloppy as it gets. His excuses sucked, but his hair was rockin!!!

What takedown defense? He didnt sprawl at all! His entrance was pretty bad ass. Everything else reminded me of Hammil vs Petrezelli

allevil86 » Posted 1/24/07 5:28:00PM

He looked good for the first 3 min but after that his game went to shit.

jmoooooo » Posted 1/24/07 6:09:00PM

Herrings problem was that nobody kissed him before the fight to psych him up.....

roadking95th » Posted 1/17/07 2:43:00PM

I agree, in that it ws a boring fight, but don't be pissed that O'Brien only LnPed. Herring did nothing to make Irish do anything else. Irish is the newcomer and Herring is supposed to be the veteran. Irish prob did all that he felt comfortable doing at this stage of his career. You don't want him to LnP then do something about it. Have some kind of takedown defense. Hell, Herring had enough room to try some subs. I look at LnP no worse than Horn's fight against Chuck. Damn, he kept falling to his back 'cause he didn't want to swing.

shawneth » Posted 1/24/07 5:49:00PM

Completly agree. I am most dissapointed because i thought Herring would help to rebuild the dying Heavyweight division. Unless he shows alittle bit more in his next fight i dont think he'll help out that much. I heard at Sherdog that he had a torn mcl and another bunch of problems... but im not sure that that can even excuss that performance.

Sticksta13 » Posted 1/24/07 3:18:00PM

agree'd........... his stance looked unlike him, I was saying to myself wtf is he doing

aceprone » Posted 1/16/07 2:25:00AM

In the interview on the UFC he said he torn a ligament or something in his knee and kept his stance low to protect his leg. But who knows.... I myself was dissapointed in Herring performace, but at the same time I think he saved the fight from being a complete dissaster. During the last minute he was on his knees trying to knock the guy out and the crowd respected him for it, while O'Brian was just laying there. You can tell from the reaction after the fight, everyone booo'ed O'Brian for laying on top of him and cheered for Heath for bringing some energy into the fight. I hope Heath comes back in better shape, because I still think he's a force when he's in shape. His goal in the fight was to keep it standing and he held on to O'brian to make that happen but John wasn't giving it to him for somereason, who was clearly O'brian was LNP. So I tip my hat to Heath for at least trying to save the fight.

Savy » Posted 1/15/07 4:58:00PM

I was floored by how bad Herring performed. Was that really the same guy who beat Kerr, Vovchanchyn, and Gary Goodridge? Same guy was took Vitor and Rodrigo Nogueira to a decision?
He looked big and slow to me, carrying waaay too much bodyfat.
Seemed like he missed his wrestling shoes.
That was not the Texas Crazy Horse we know and love. He'll be back in better shape with a little less butterflies.
He needs a chance to redeem himself.

strikefirstgear » Posted 1/15/07 1:29:00PM

Posted by Sticksta13

agree'd........... his stance looked unlike him, I was saying to myself wtf is he doing

Maybe a game plan to protect himself from the takedown. He sure could have done more to put up a fight on the ground.

He looked to me like an injured fighter fighting handicapped. That had to be the worst defense I have seen in a long time.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]