MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
DREAM.17 official for September; organization to use three five-minute rounds   [View Full Version]
Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

As expected, DREAM will return in September, but it will look a little different when it does.

At a Wednesday press conference, DREAM event producer Keiichi Sasahara officially announced that DREAM.17 will take place Sept. 24 at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama Japan.

But contrary to previous events, DREAM will use the card to launch a new rule change: the use of three, five-minute rounds.

LINK

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

everybody liked a ten minute round. makes no sense.

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Posted by ghandikush

everybody liked a ten minute round. makes no sense.

They're struggling as an organization. I think this is an attempt for them to save face. They see what's working for the UFC and MMA in the states so now they're going to try to copy it.

That's my guess, anyways.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

I like 10 minute first round like the next guy but I also like 3-5 minute rounds like the next guy as well. It's not really a big deal either way in my eyes

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Going to change my pick stragety for DREAM now.

But we'll see how it works and if it effects the amount of finishes too.

tepid55 » Posted 2/4/07 2:11:00PM

Are they still going to score the fight as a whole or round-by-round like Sengoku did?

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Posted by tepid55

Are they still going to score the fight as a whole or round-by-round like Sengoku did?

The change will allow DREAM fights to more closely resemble those fought under the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts – though fights are still expected to be judged as a whole rather than on a round-by-round basis.

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

::::cue Half Baked::::

Boo this man!!! BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

This suuuuuuucks, in my opinion. Part of the fun of Dream, for me, is it's resemblance to what Pride used to be. The presentation is a little more up to date, but the rules are really what made it unique.

I wish the UFC would have adopted Dream/Pride rules (w/ elbows!!), personally, instead of Dream adopting what are essentially unified rules. The whole dynamic of a fight completely changes with the 10 minute first round, in my opinion.

If it were for reasons like Emfleek postulated (business move, essentially), that makes sense to me. Of course you want to keep what the fans love, but if your business is about to fail, you have to do what it takes to keep the business going. As long as Dream can stick around and keep JMMA going, that's what matters.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Posted by pmoney

::::cue Half Baked::::

Boo this man!!! BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Lol, awesome movie.

Bob Saget/Boo this man Half Baked

[View Full Version of this Page]