MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Melvin Guillard: A lightweight grand prix tournament is the solution for the 155-pound division   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Brackets? We don't need no stinking brackets ... actually, we do, at least according to Melvin Guillard.

It ain't easy being a top contender in the 155-pound division. If you are, you're one of many and your spot in the pecking order is up for constant debate.

LINK

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

Best idea ever!!!!! They need to do this, would be giant for that division as well as the fans would love it. I am sick of seeing Maynard fight Frankie....lets see some of the guys that give good fights up there. I wanna see some guys battle.

40ouncetpkid » Posted 5/3/11 12:43:00AM

I love it! Guillard is definitely a contender now and I feel it's a crime Siver is ranked ahead of him and even gets a main card slot of Melvin at 132. But melvin's going to bring in all the late PPV buyers I guess by knocking out Roller hopefully!

tallica62 » Posted 6/22/07 2:18:00AM

It's not the solution, but it would be fun as hell to watch

hashyandy4 » Posted 3/31/11 10:49:00PM

Love the idea, Lets do it!!

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

I like the idea a lot. However.....

Jim Miller needs the next title shot. Of course, he is putting his seven fight win streak on the line right now by taking the fight with Ben Henderson. But some people would say, myself included, he deserved a title shot before that.

I would love to have a lightweight Grand Prix, no matter what. However.... What I would like to see, if Miller beats Henderson, I want Miller to get the next shot, regardless of when Maynard-Edgar III happens. If Miller wins, he gets the winner of Edgar-Maynard, and the Grand Prix determines who fights the winner of Miller-Maynard/Edgar.

Just my thought. I would hate for Miller to beat Henderson and then put in a Grand Prix. That would be ridiculous.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

I think the picture cleared up some more with Pettis losing.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea, but I bet it would take longer than expected.

Once some of these top guys fight, we should get a clearer picture and once we get Maynard/Edgar over with it.

FlashyG » Posted 2/13/08 10:33:00AM

8 fighters, will mean 3 events to determine a #1 contender.

Each fighter likely needing 3-4 months between fights to recover, that means after Edgar and Maynard fight, we will have no title fights for over a year.

It also creates a lay off for the loser of the title fight.

If they want to do tournaments make that the replacement for TUF and use the guys at the bottom or middle of the divisions.

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars
I wouldn't be opposed to the idea, but I bet it would take longer than expected.

Good call. Wasn't UFC 125 called "Resolution"? That came and went. So Did UFC 130. Still looking for that resolution. If all this hold up has been caused by one fight, I can only imagine the potential debacle a LW GP would take.... Although they sure would have a full stable of alternates, and could still probably get it done faster than the Strikeforce HW GP.

Although, if the UFC took a page from Bellator.... Bellator just concluded 4 eight man tournaments in 4 weight classes, and it took them what, maybe 3-4 months?

If they could make it speedy like that (and I know they could, but would they?) then that would be HUGE

I tried to avoid current matchups and tried to avoid rematches, at least for the opening round. Although I wanted to match up Pettis vs Henderson 2.

8 tourney fighters
Clay Guida
Melvin Guillard
Ben Henderson
Anthony Pettis
Dennis Siver
Jim Miller
George Sotiropoulos
Matt Wiman

Grand Prix matchups
Guillard vs Wiman
Henderson vs Guida
Siver vs Pettis
Sotiropoulos vs Miller

Alternates
Gleison Tibau
Sam Stout
Jeremy Stephens
Shane Roller

Alternate matchups
Stout vs Tibau
Stephens vs Roller

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Posted by pmoney

I like the idea a lot. However.....

Jim Miller needs the next title shot. Of course, he is putting his seven fight win streak on the line right now by taking the fight with Ben Henderson. But some people would say, myself included, he deserved a title shot before that.

I would love to have a lightweight Grand Prix, no matter what. However.... What I would like to see, if Miller beats Henderson, I want Miller to get the next shot, regardless of when Maynard-Edgar III happens. If Miller wins, he gets the winner of Edgar-Maynard, and the Grand Prix determines who fights the winner of Miller-Maynard/Edgar.

Just my thought. I would hate for Miller to beat Henderson and then put in a Grand Prix. That would be ridiculous.

I totally agree. I want to see a Grand Prix but Miller should not be involved. He's definitely the number one contender.

I also agree that 8 is too many and would take to long. Why not a 4 man mini tournament like has been done in the past at HW?

PS. Gilbert Milendez would also clearly not have to be a part of the grand prix. He deserves an immediate shot ala Jake Shields.

MMA-San » Posted 4/17/09 10:47:00PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I tried to avoid current matchups and tried to avoid rematches, at least for the opening round. Although I wanted to match up Pettis vs Henderson 2.

8 tourney fighters
Clay Guida
Melvin Guillard
Ben Henderson
Anthony Pettis
Dennis Siver
Jim Miller
George Sotiropoulos
Matt Wiman

Grand Prix matchups
Guillard vs Wiman
Henderson vs Guida
Siver vs Pettis
Sotiropoulos vs Miller

Alternates
Gleison Tibau
Sam Stout
Jeremy Stephens
Shane Roller

Alternate matchups
Stout vs Tibau
Stephens vs Roller

You gots to replace Wiman with Sherk. Also Dunham is an alternate over all those guys.

Except who knows where Sherk is. Dunham, I didn't include him b/c of the back to back losses.

And Wiman is currently scheduled to face Siver, so he should prolly be included.

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

Too drawn out, my ADD can't handle it, not a fan of tourneys.

If you want a title shot, keep winning, and get in line.

TeamDEY » Posted 2/1/11 3:41:00PM

it would be awesome to see

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]