MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
UFC on Versus 4: Pat Barry Faces Important Test in Cheick Kongo   [View Full Version]
Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

At this Sunday's UFC on Versus 4, the semi-main event will be a clash of Heavyweights as Pat Barry faces Cheick Kongo. Both men come into the fight with strong stand-up skills and professional kickboxing experience - a point which will surely be much discussed in the lead-up to the fight. Yet while the two fighters have a similar background, what they have chosen to do with those backgrounds is very different, and it is this difference that makes this such a pivotal fight in the career of Pat Barry.

LINK

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

I see this a few ways. The first way is Kongo winning. I can see Kongo understanding that both of them are solid at standing. He will take Barry down and go for some subs and maybe some GNP. I can also see Kongo losing some points for knees to the groin and holding the fence, so Barry could win UD.

I would like to see Barry chop down Kongo with some sick leg kicks and score a TKO via leg kicks. But thats just me. Plus Barry can really use a solid win over a decent opponent.

My final pick........Barry via TKO (leg kicks) round 3.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I see this a few ways. The first way is Kongo winning. I can see Kongo understanding that both of them are solid at standing. He will take Barry down and go for some subs and maybe some GNP. I can also see Kongo losing some points for knees to the groin and holding the fence, so Barry could win UD.

I would like to see Barry chop down Kongo with some sick leg kicks and score a TKO via leg kicks. But thats just me. Plus Barry can really use a solid win over a decent opponent.

My final pick........Barry via TKO (leg kicks) round 3.

That is my second thought but, but I think Kongo wins a dirty fight like the one he had with Cro Cop.

BigBadAl » Posted 6/18/09 8:26:00AM

Kongo wins this by being ever so slightly more well rounded.

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

I hope Kongo knocks Barry's head off.

noahgenda » Posted 5/28/09 4:34:00PM

Kongo has better takedowns than barry has takedown defense, so if he wants to win that way I think he can

DosBox » Posted 12/30/08 7:15:00PM

I'd be surprised to see Kongo and Barry kickbox for 3 rounds.. so I am a bit surprised that this fight is a coin flip.

Kongo's gameplan against other strikers like Buentello, Hardonk, Cro Cop, Herring etc.. is to clinch up, use knees... takedown and work his top control/GnP..

Kongo wins by wrestling/topcontrol/gnp

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

On paper, Kongo should win this fight easily. We would like to think otherwise because Barry is a likable guy and his standup is admirable but the fact remains, he will be heavily disadvantaged in the height and reach department. Furthermore, Kongo will be much stronger and even super stronger with added leverage.

I have envisioned the fight to be somewhat like this:

In the first round, Barry will utilize the cage and try to stick and move. However, he will soon find out the height and reach disadvantages will make it too difficult for him to stick and move without getting hit in the process. Round one will be occupied with testing the reach department and a lot of dancing.

In round two, Kongo will soon realize Barry is timid. Kongo will stalk Barry and force the action and eventually stops Barry in his tracks.

[View Full Version of this Page]