MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Fabricio Werdum: Alistair Overeem Did Not Beat Me, I Lost On My Own   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Fabricio Werdum lost a unanimous decision to Alistair Overeem in the first round of Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix at Strikeforce: Overeem vs Werdum last Saturday. Werdum spent most of the fight on his back, either with Overeem in his guard or flopping to his back, begging the Dutchman to follow him down.

It was a less than fan-pleasing performance. Werdum spoke to Brazilian MMA site Portal do Vale Tudo and explained his strategy and what went wrong in the fight:

I tried to knock him out, I showed that I was doing well in the stand-up, but I also wanted to do the fight in the ground, because I was very confident in my jiu-jitsu. It ended up being really bad to pull guard all the time, I burned a lot of energy, it was not good. When I was successful in the very end of the rounds, I found myself without much strength. I'm just amazed that no one will go to the ground with me even though I'll stand with everyone. This happens all the time. Even at striking I did not see the K-1 champion that knocks everyone out show up, he did not show much, he did not throw any strikes meant for knock downs, and as Fight Metrics showed I was able to throw more strikes. I made the mistake to pull guard too much, to want to finish it any way. The fight was not good for either of us, but he did not beat me, I lost (on my own).

LINK

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Everyone that watched that fight lost.

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

"I'm just amazed that no one will go to the ground with me even though I'll stand with everyone."

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Posted by FastKnockout

"I'm just amazed that no one will go to the ground with me even though I'll stand with everyone."

LIES.

Werdum flopped on his back over and over again and Overeem didn't want to play his game. That's why he lost. This fight showed how one dimensional he is. He's amazing at that one dimension but he talked a lot of trash for a guy who continued to flop on his back and not fight.

machodog76 » Posted 6/26/07 10:37:00PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by FastKnockout

LIES.

Werdum flopped on his back over and over again and Overeem didn't want to play his game. That's why he lost. This fight showed how one dimensional he is. He's amazing at that one dimension but he talked a lot of trash for a guy who continued to flop on his back and not fight.

Oh he'll stand with anyone, just not for more than 5 seconds

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

He'll stand because that's how a fight works. You stand up until someone gets a takedown.

jay98107 » Posted 1/24/07 6:50:00PM

Posted by Aether

He'll stand because that's how a fight works. You stand up until someone gets a takedown.

Exactly. Nature of the beast.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

It seemed like everytime Werdum got hit he just flopped to the ground. The announcers we're thinking he got hit good, but I think he was just trying to bait Reem into the ground more.

BlueSkiesBurn » Posted 6/1/08 3:18:00PM

Also, I'm pretty sure Overeem beat him. He can argue semantics, but the W-L column shows that 'Reem beat him.

kingsmasher » Posted 3/10/11 4:01:00PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

It seemed like everytime Werdum got hit he just flopped to the ground. The announcers we're thinking he got hit good, but I think he was just trying to bait Reem into the ground more.

It worked against some russian guy...

I might get some flack for this but I think strikeforce should allow kicking a down opponent...Would have been more interesting..

ncordless » Posted 4/8/07 11:09:00PM

Posted by kingsmasher

I might get some flack for this but I think strikeforce should allow kicking a down opponent...Would have been more interesting..

I think that all mma should allow kicks to a grounded opponent. It does make it more interesting, and the fears of greater injury never were realized in the years that they have been allowed in japanese and brazilian mma.

warglory » Posted 2/4/07 2:44:00AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by kingsmasher

I think that all mma should allow kicks to a grounded opponent. It does make it more interesting, and the fears of greater injury never were realized in the years that they have been allowed in japanese and brazilian mma.

You can kick grounded opponents, just not the head. Brazil and Japan also had rings, not cages, different beast.

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

I swear Thales Leites and Werdum are brothers.

papercut » Posted 3/3/07 4:18:00PM

I'm not sure I would be bragging about losing a fight...

BigBadAl » Posted 6/18/09 8:26:00AM

Oh come on Reem, all he wanted was a cuddle.

Spoil sport.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]