MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Off Topic > Off Topic
Bernard Hopkins, Not Randy Couture, Is Best 'Old Man' in Combat Sports History   [View Full Version]
sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

Last night saw Bernard Hopkins make history, becoming the oldest man to win a major boxing world championship with a unanimous decision over Jean Pascal. Hopkins was 46 years, 4 months and 6 days old when he took home the WBC, IBO and Ring Magazine titles, besting the old mark held by George Foreman (45 years, 10 months) when he knocked out Michael Moorer in 1994.

Link

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

I can agree to this. Bernard Hopkins has been incredibly consistent through out his career.

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

I can respect this man even-though I do not like him as a person. He built his own legacy which many cannot do without the hype train.

TeamDEY » Posted 2/1/11 3:41:00PM

Bernard Hopkins may have the better legacy but if you were to judge which person is better in their sport RIGHT NOW, I would say it would be Randy Couture

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

Posted by TeamDEY

Bernard Hopkins may have the better legacy but if you were to judge which person is better in their sport RIGHT NOW, I would say it would be Randy Couture

Hows that Hopkins just beat a relevant fighter for a world title. Randy just got front kicked in the face and retired in a fight that would have only got people talking about him getting in the title picture.

BigBadAl » Posted 6/18/09 8:26:00AM

Posted by postman

Posted by TeamDEY

Hows that Hopkins just beat a relevant fighter for a world title. Randy just got front kicked in the face and retired in a fight that would have only got people talking about him getting in the title picture.

Bias MMA fan I'm guessing.

freshourtc » Posted 5/18/11 9:16:00PM

Posted by postman

Posted by TeamDEY

Couture has only lost to 3 people who haven't been a UFC champion, which there is only one. There are alot of boxing championships that bernard could win. Randy won the UFC heavyweight title in 4 fights. He's a huge legend in MMA, not saying Bernard isn't but people won't remember him the way they will Randy.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

I'm a big fan of both sports, although not so much as I used to be in boxing. Unbiased I would say that Randy is more loved because he was always the underdog and will be better remembered for his body of work because MMA is still in it's early stages and he was among the most influential when it comes to helping the sport evolve. Now that I've said that, I feel that Bernard has had a more dominant career and is still among the elite at his sport where as Couture hasn't done much since beating Vitor for the last time. I'm not real impressed with his victories over Sylvia or Gonzaga.

Posted by freshourtc

Posted by postman

Posted by TeamDEY

Couture has only lost to 3 people who haven't been a UFC champion, which there is only one. There are alot of boxing championships that bernard could win. Randy won the UFC heavyweight title in 4 fights. He's a huge legend in MMA, not saying Bernard isn't but people won't remember him the way they will Randy.

Are you agreeing with me because you seem to be going down the road that Randy has a better legacy He is saying that right now Randy is the better of the two fighters in their sport.

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

Posted by freshourtc

Posted by postman

Posted by TeamDEY

Legacy, sure. You can give that to Couture. But Relevancy and who is better in their sport RIGHT NOW, its been Hopkins. Hopkins dismantles champions in dominant fashion. Couture hasnt had a dominant win over legit competition since Gonzaga.

Posted by Pookie

Posted by freshourtc

Posted by postman

Posted by TeamDEY

Legacy, sure. You can give that to Couture. But Relevancy and who is better in their sport RIGHT NOW, its been Hopkins. Hopkins dismantles champions in dominant fashion. Couture hasnt had a dominant win over legit competition since Gonzaga.

To be honest Randy might have more of a relevent legacy to his sport the BHop but thats only due to the limited amount of superstars MMA has been able to produce in its short life at this point. Boxing has produced many many many superstars for years and years pushing Hopkins achievments down the list of Great Boxers. I have no idea if I am right on this but I would think if you were to ask mainstream sports fans who Randy was and Who Bernard was more people would know of Bernard. Thats just my sense.

Before anyone thinks to say I just don't like Randy you couldn't be further from the truth he is one of the few fighters I always want to win. I was there at UFC 68 to see him reclaim the title and I even was still giving him a chance to beat Machida. Randy vs Rizzo top 5 fight IMO.

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by postman

Posted by TeamDEY

Bias MMA fan I'm guessing.

40ouncetpkid » Posted 5/3/11 12:43:00AM

Eh, this is actually kinda hard ha. Both tasks were extremely difficult. Who knew Randy could takedown and dominate huge ass Big Timmah like that? Nobody thought Hopkins would win the 1st Pascal fight either.

I liked Hopkins better though because he completely school'd Pascal on the feet with straight skill, not speed or power, but just solid skill keeps him great. Whereas Randy wow'd me for the 1st 2 rounds but it got a little old after that since he was so dominant I just wanted him to finish to top it off.

[View Full Version of this Page]