MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
UFC Sued Over 'Fan Expo' Event Name   [View Full Version]
FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Hobby Star Marketing, a company which holds pop culture conventions for comic books, science fiction and other pop culture phenomena has sued the UFC over it's use of the Fan Expo name this weekend in Toronto. One of Hobby Star's largest events is FanExpo Canada and they have filed an injunction at the last minute against the UFC. From Comic Book Resources:

In the federal court statement obtained by CBR News, Hobby Star has filed for trade-mark infringement on the name "Fan Expo" as well as the slogan "The Ultimate Fan Experience" and the web domain www.ufcfanexpo.com. The papers were filed in a Toronto federal court and make no mention of previous UFC events labeled as "Fan Expos" such as a London, England event last summer, nor do they mention anything about the company's potential plans for a Fan Expo in Las Vegas this summer. This is likely because Hobby Star only have the "Fan Expo" trademark registered within Canada.

Zuffa, as legal owners of all names and trade-marks associated with the UFC, are listed as the primary defendant while Reed takes a secondary role in the brief as the organizer of the event, which is set to kick off this Friday at the Direct Energy Centre in Toronto.

The document reveals that Hobby Star seeks an injunction against promoting or selling anything involving the mark and slogan as well as an order to "deliver up or destroy upon oath all clothing, goods labels, packages, advertising materials, signage, printed matter, including all plats, moulds, matrices, and other material for producing or printing such items and any other matter or materials in print or electric form" that fall under the offending names. Additionally, in its case Hobby Star cites the fact that a Reed employee named John McGeary was formerly associated with Fan Expo Canada in some capacity and therefore had knowledge of the trade-mark's use in Canada.

LINK

telnights » Posted 6/21/07 4:17:00PM

Good luck with that as there are many company's that use the name fan expo and have been for years.

Posted by telnights

Good luck with that as there are many company's that use the name fan expo and have been for years.

In Canada?

kopower » Posted 7/3/07 12:31:00AM

Honestly, don't people have anything better to do? What a waste of time for the courts.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Posted by kopower

Honestly, don't people have anything better to do? What a waste of time for the courts.

The UFC has issued it's fair share of useless lawsuits, too. haha. Agree that it's a waste of time for the courts.

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

they see some money to be made from the ufc using that name. plus, these company's have no other way of going about making them change the name. if they went to to ufc and said that the fanexpo was their name the ufc would say to F**king bad

Lesnar1 » Posted 3/28/11 2:47:00AM

Pathetic petty assclowns who the F cares if the ufc used "fan expo" instead of some other crap like gathering of the fight fans or something geez I hate this F'n law well not the law itself because authors and filmakers need these laws but when it's used in assclowny ways like this it makes me sick.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

serves the UFC right for shutting down my stream sites

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Svartorm » Posted 1/24/07 8:41:00PM

Thats like me suing Subway for releasing a "chicken cordon bleu" sandwich when it was on my menu first. It's a common term and you have to expect it will be used throughout popular culture.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

[View Full Version of this Page]