MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
GSP-Silva Could Happen In 2011   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
DCRage » Posted 8/3/07 12:38:00PM

Two victories are all that are needed for a highly anticipated and long-speculated Georges St-Pierre vs. Anderson Silva superfight. UFC president Dana White said if the UFC's current welterweight and middleweight championships prove successful in their next title defense, they could meet in a rare champion-vs.-champion fight later this year. "If they both win their fights, that fight makes all the sense in the world," White said. White made the comments Friday during a Q&A session at Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas. "I don't like guys fighting each other at different weights until they've done what those two have done, and they've both done it," White said after St-Pierre's latest win, a dominating decision victory over Josh Koscheck. However, the Shields fight could be St-Pierre's swan song for the welterweight division. As St-Pierre has suggested in the past, White expects the 170-pound champ to make a permanent move to 185 pounds if he were to fight Silva. That fight likely would take place at Silva's weight and would mark St-Pierre's arrival in the middleweight division. "Georges St-Pierre would move to 185 and stay at that weight and not go back to 170," White said on Friday.

Article

MisterFreeze » Posted 4/18/09 4:51:00PM

Hell YES!!! I am 100% for all this happening!!

1daveufc » Posted 12/28/08 12:59:00PM

wud gsp not be better off having a warm up fight against someone else at middleweight..May be against Chael sonnen?

steelmangyna » Posted 1/11/11 11:47:00PM

Fans demand it, dana wants the $$$, gsp & spider aren't friends/teammates, IT'LL HAPPEN

chickmagnet » Posted 7/5/07 2:53:00PM

This match has never intrigued me. I really want to see Silva/Shogun, at lightheavyweight or 195 catch weight. I think this fight would be much more entertaining.

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

Posted by chickmagnet

This match has never intrigued me. I really want to see Silva/Shogun, at lightheavyweight or 195 catch weight. I think this fight would be much more entertaining.

I'd like to see both GSP vs The Spider, and Shogun vs The Spider.

Why doesn't a GSP/Silva fight interest you?

SamPan » Posted 2/17/09 12:13:00AM

This is probably why Silva just called Bisping out. He almost lost to Sonnen and he doesn't want to face any wrestlers of that caliber

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

It would be good for the WW Division if he left. Shake things up a little. But I guarantee he won't be the same force at MW that he is a WW.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

I think I would pick GSP just for the fact that his edge in wrestling is greater than Silva's edge in striking but the problem I see is that Silva can finish the fight from anywhere and I'm not really sold on GSP's jiujitsu game.

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

I'm not sold on GSP's chin. What if he got tagged by Silva? Or hell, Brian Stann?? He'd be ko'ed REAL quick. He is a very tactical fighter, but if he were to get hit once by one of those middleweights, I think it'd be nighty-night.

Anderson Silva wasn't even knocked out when a juiced up Sonnen was standing in his guard punching him in the face.

Boo_Radley21 » Posted 7/19/07 12:28:00AM

GSP!!! Unless he gets hit I see him dominating Silva on the ground much like Chael Sonnen.

chickmagnet » Posted 7/5/07 2:53:00PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by chickmagnet

I'd like to see both GSP vs The Spider, and Shogun vs The Spider.

Why doesn't a GSP/Silva fight interest you?

Because Id rather see a stand up war, than a five round lay and pray fest.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

Interesting

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

GSP by UD.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

The wording here makes it clear as day to me that if GSP beats Shields he's vacating the title at 170 permanently.

I'm curious what their plans would be with the title. An 8 man tourney would be epic.

How's this for an 8 man bracket (slashes indicate they are already scheduled to face each-other so it would be 'the winner of'):

Shields, Fitch, Penn, Koscheck, Alves/Story, Condit/Lytle, Kampmann/Sanchez, Hardy/Rumble

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]