MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Soccer Brawl Outside Brazil Fight 3 Leaves 1 Dead, 2 Injured   [View Full Version]
FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

BELO HORIZONTE, Brazil -- The Brazilian MMA community has long argued that its sport is safer than soccer, given the history of Brazilian futebol rivalries and violence. Saturday night in Belo Horizonte, that violence tragically bled indirectly into MMA.

While the city's Chevrolet Hall played host to the third edition of Brazil Fight, an alleged brawl between supporters of rival Belo Horizonte-based soccer clubs Atletico Mineiro and Cruzeiro broke outside the venue, leaving one man dead and two others hospitalized.

19-year-old Otavio Fernandes died Saturday night due to sustained head trauma after he was allegedly beaten with an iron bar by members of Atletico Mineiro fan group Galoucura. Flavio Celso da Silva, 35, and Rodrigo Marques, 39, were also sent to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

According to eyewitness accounts of the full-scale street fight that erupted, the much larger Galoucura group overwhelmed the Cruzeiro fans, attacking them with iron bars. The fight is estimated to have only lasted a few minutes, but blood was still visible on the ground outside Chevrolet Hall on Sunday morning.

LINK

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Changed the post. Didn't realize my original post had already been posted.

tallica62 » Posted 6/22/07 2:18:00AM

so MMA gets bad publicity because soccer fans fought at what happened to be an MMA venue?

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

Wow Soccer is so stupid... I am glad I was born in a country where we have better games then pointlessly running back and forth in a low to non-scoring game that almost invariably ends in a tie.

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

I don't get Soccer fans......Hell, I don't get Soccer in general.

BigBadAl » Posted 6/18/09 8:26:00AM

Posted by pmoney

Wow Soccer is so stupid... I am glad I was born in a country where we have better games then pointlessly running back and forth in a low to non-scoring game that almost invariably ends in a tie.

That's an ignorant comment. And I am suprised that it came from a MMA (human cockfighting). The least likely result for a soccer match is a draw otherwise I would be making a killing gambling on soccer matches.

[View Full Version of this Page]