MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Listening to public sentiment, UFC boss says he'll re-think Lesnar vs. Mir III   [View Full Version]
jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

link Just one day after suggesting Lesnar vs. Mir III is a fight that "kind of makes sense" in the heavyweight division, UFC president Dana White now admits feedback received on his Twitter account is leading him away from arranging the matchup.

"People have been saying on my Twitter that they're not happy with that fight," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It's something I need to re-think."

warglory » Posted 2/4/07 2:44:00AM

Good. Thanks for listening Dana!

RyanC » Posted 8/25/09 5:08:00PM

I think it's really cool that Dana actually listens to the fans.

imanidiot777 » Posted 1/22/08 12:25:00PM

Props to Dana!

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Posted by RyanC

Don't fool yourself into thinking that this decision is FOR the fans, though. I'm 99.9% sure this is a buisness move, and knows that negative fan feedback means negative PPV buys and ticket purchases. You have to remember, this is also the same man who promised amazing free events to make it up to fans for the Anderson Silva fights, and we ended up with 120 and 122.

RyanC » Posted 8/25/09 5:08:00PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by RyanC

Don't fool yourself into thinking that this decision is FOR the fans, though. I'm 99.9% sure this is a buisness move, and knows that negative fan feedback means negative PPV buys and ticket purchases. You have to remember, this is also the same man who promised amazing free events to make it up to fans for the Anderson Silva fights, and we ended up with 120 and 122.

I don't care who he's doing it for. I'm just glad he's doing it. I just didn't think the time was right for the third fight. I'd like to see the rubber match between Lesnar and Mir just not now. Lesnar needs to fight some different people or we're never going to know what his true potential is.

RearNakedJoke » Posted 8/11/08 6:25:00PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by RyanC

god forbid happy fans = more money. thats how business works get over it.

xtra_chewy » Posted 5/17/07 3:16:00AM

I'm glad he listened to me.

DosBox » Posted 12/30/08 7:15:00PM

Good idea IMO.

Lesnar has only had a handful of fights, and if he would have fought the Mir trilogy, he'd face Mir 3 times in his first 8 fights. Granted, if Brock and Mir gain some more momentum, its definitely a fight to make from a commercial standpoint.

I definitely want to see different matches being set up for Brock, and the good thing about him is you can set him up with pretty much anybody with a name not named Frank Mir and it will spark a lot of interest. (And I even think the trilogy with Mir would have still sparked a lot of interest). I dont think Frank Mir is a bad fight to make, but I think there are "fresher" options to make.

The only people that I could think off the top of my head for a more plausible, and commercial decision would be to have Brock fight either Nogueira, Cro Cop, or Nelson (considering JDS would be fighting Cain next).

MaxOne » Posted 7/26/07 3:12:00PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by RyanC

the fans make his business work so it's good that he's actually considering listening. I don't know a single person (in real life) that wants to see that fight right now.

icantthinkofanything » Posted 1/16/09 11:38:00PM

After they each have a few more fights against DIFFERENT PEOPLE, than bring on the rubber match.

Since Roy is out of the temporary picture, (contract obligations from another Leaugue)

Lesnar vs Kongo,
CC
Struve

Mir vs Nog -

(still waiting to see Mir repeat his win for the Nog fans who hated on Mir winning.)

and or

Mir vs Rothwell, Madsen, Russow, Schaubb, Struve or Barry

[View Full Version of this Page]