MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
White: Roy Nelson's UFC Career On Hold Until Outside Contract Issues Resolved   [View Full Version]
BlueSkiesBurn » Posted 6/1/08 3:18:00PM

OBERHAUSEN, Germany – There's a reason Roy Nelson will not appear at UFC 125, and it's not because the UFC is unable to find him a new opponent.

UFC president Dana White today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Nelson (15-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is currently contractually bound to another fight promotion. As such, he won't be seen inside the octagon until he is in the clear from his previous employer.

Following Saturday night's UFC 121 event in Oberhausen, Germany, White declined to specifically name the fight promotion, but sources close to "Big Country" confirmed that former boxing champion Roy Jones Jr.'s Square Ring Promotions has Nelson tied down.

Nelson headlined a MMA/boxing hybrid card Jones Jr. promoted in March 2009 entitled "March Badness" and was defeated by former UFC heavyweight contender Jeff Monson by unanimous decision. He earned $30,000 for his efforts.

link

That's gotta suck.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

I hope this gets worked out because I like Big Country but idk if dana does so much.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

This could be reason why lesnar isn't fighting him

RearNakedJoke » Posted 8/11/08 6:25:00PM

and people complain about the UFC's contracts....

BustedKnuckle » Posted 9/2/09 5:48:00PM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

and people complain about the UFC's contracts....

Bum deal for Country. I hpe Jones lets hi out of that BS contract

warglory » Posted 2/4/07 2:44:00AM

I'm wondering why this wasn't worked out before he signed with the UFC. Usually Zuffa is on top of things like this.

RyanC » Posted 8/25/09 5:08:00PM

I don't understand how he could have been under contract somewhere else, and then signed and fought for the UFC and this is just now coming up.

submissionartist1 » Posted 5/27/07 10:24:00PM

Three fights in plus the show and this is now a problem?

MaxOne » Posted 7/26/07 3:12:00PM

yeah, it's not like roy has been under the radar and the other org was unaware. He won the freakin' show and was getting all kinds of press. very strange.....but if it's true...I can't imagine Roy not knowing he was legally obligated somewhere else before he moved ahead w/the UFC.

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

Well it's a real good thing for him that he won TUF and got some wins in the octagon because Dana CLEARLY doesn't like the guy and I think if he was the runner up or had gone 1-2 he would be cut so fast it would make his head spin.

Gogoplatapus » Posted 7/24/09 6:01:00PM

I can't help but think that they've always known about this but Roys mouth may have gotten him put in the penalty box.

The timing of it all seems fishy.

[View Full Version of this Page]