MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
WEC 53: Benson Henderson To Defend LW Title Against Anthony Pettis   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
DCRage » Posted 8/3/07 12:38:00PM

The WEC lightweight crown will once again be on the line as Ben Henderson is set to defend his title against Anthony Pettis. The match will happen at WEC 53, scheduled for December 16 in Arizona.

Article

jiujitsufreak74 » Posted 9/24/07 7:28:00PM

Finally!

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

This should be a great fight but I see Henderson taking it by submission in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Giant_Ochai » Posted 5/19/09 7:57:00PM

I think a win by Henderson should propel him to the UFC.

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

I honestly have no idea where all this Benson Henderson belonging in the UFC talk is coming from. He's got legit ground skills and he's definitely in shape.. but it seems to me like people are talking about him earning a title shot in the UFC. I just don't get it

EDIT: and for the record I've been a fan of his and have met him several times for years running now. I was watching him before he was ever in the WEC. I just don't think his skills are to that level yet. So I'm not saying what I say based out of blind hatred for the guy or something.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

Varner used to be in the UFC as well, and Condit is there now....not like they are / were doing poorly, but they certainly aren't knocking at GSP's/Edgar's door either.
On the fight I am thinking it will probably go the distance, Pettis has legit striking and power, and his counter wrestling is where it needs to be as well. Benson's in for a long hard night.

mshalosky » Posted 2/16/09 8:09:00PM

Benson absolutely deserves to be in the UFC if he finishes Pettis. He doesnt quit and has great ground skills. I think he would rather be challenged in the UFC instead of just dominating everyone in the WEC.

Posted by Jackelope

I honestly have no idea where all this Benson Henderson belonging in the UFC talk is coming from. He's got legit ground skills and he's definitely in shape.. but it seems to me like people are talking about him earning a title shot in the UFC. I just don't get it

EDIT: and for the record I've been a fan of his and have met him several times for years running now. I was watching him before he was ever in the WEC. I just don't think his skills are to that level yet. So I'm not saying what I say based out of blind hatred for the guy or something.

i don't think people are saying he deserves a title shot, but rather that he should fight in the UFC's LW division against the better competition. i say if he beats Pettis and gets another win or two, he should 100% go to the UFC. i think he would do well there now, but it would feel more justified to me if he got another win or two.

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i don't think people are saying he deserves a title shot, but rather that he should fight in the UFC's LW division against the better competition. i say if he beats Pettis and gets another win or two, he should 100% go to the UFC. i think he would do well there now, but it would feel more justified to me if he got another win or two.

To me this makes no sense, though. What point is there in abandoning a title and being the face of an organization's weight class to fight in an org if you're not fighting towards a title shot in the new one? The only few exceptions to that rule I can think of are the Chris Lytle types or people who come from super small orgs.

To me, Benson has been in competitive fights and you can even argue he has been losing nearly all of his fights in the WEC up until he pulls out a last minute sub. Except for against Cerrone and Roller if my memory serves correctly. Even then it's not like he was dominating Cerrone, either. They were pretty evenly matched up. I know against Varner he was getting worked until he caught Varner in a guillotine.

Again I want to stress that I'm not trying to hate. I'm just trying to look at this realistically. Frankly I haven't seen much as of yet out of Henderson that leads me to believe he'll be super competitive at 155 in the UFC

Drudinh » Posted 12/17/07 6:19:00PM

SHOWTIME

brutalbones » Posted 5/22/07 9:41:00PM

Nice! Should be a war. I'm going out on a limb & going with Pettis by UD on this one. I think his standup will make the difference.

Posted by Jackelope

To me this makes no sense, though. What point is there in abandoning a title and being the face of an organization's weight class to fight in an org if you're not fighting towards a title shot in the new one? The only few exceptions to that rule I can think of are the Chris Lytle types or people who come from super small orgs.

To me, Benson has been in competitive fights and you can even argue he has been losing nearly all of his fights in the WEC up until he pulls out a last minute sub. Except for against Cerrone and Roller if my memory serves correctly. Even then it's not like he was dominating Cerrone, either. They were pretty evenly matched up. I know against Varner he was getting worked until he caught Varner in a guillotine.

Again I want to stress that I'm not trying to hate. I'm just trying to look at this realistically. Frankly I haven't seen much as of yet out of Henderson that leads me to believe he'll be super competitive at 155 in the UFC

i think you are misunderstanding my take on this. I am saying that after a few more wins he needs to take a step up in competition and that step up is the UFC every fight he would absolutely be fighting his way up to the title, and all i was saying is that he shouldn't get an automatic shot. he is talented enough to fight in t he UFC, and is better than most of the other guys they bring into the division. also, he wasn't getting worked by varner at all imo. varner was trying to feel out the range and then he took a bad shot and paid for it. i say if he defeats Pettis and then gets another win he should trst his talents in the UFC, just like Condit is doing now

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

I see what your saying I guess....is there a benefit other than being in the UFC and facing the LW comp that is there? Legit question.....Benson is already under a Zuffa contract and I am sure it's pretty much the same between UFC and WEC regarding terms and benefits.....so what does he gain? I think at minimum there would/should be a pay increase....but I only pay partial attention to how much fighters get paid.

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Jackelope

i think you are misunderstanding my take on this. I am saying that after a few more wins he needs to take a step up in competition and that step up is the UFC every fight he would absolutely be fighting his way up to the title, and all i was saying is that he shouldn't get an automatic shot. he is talented enough to fight in t he UFC, and is better than most of the other guys they bring into the division. also, he wasn't getting worked by varner at all imo. varner was trying to feel out the range and then he took a bad shot and paid for it. i say if he defeats Pettis and then gets another win he should trst his talents in the UFC, just like Condit is doing now

OK, I get what you're saying now.

However, I would make this bet with you- Benson Henderson will not successfully defend his title 2 more times unless he faces Donald Cerrone after Pettis

D0wnUnd6e6r » Posted 9/13/07 5:12:00PM

Posted by Jackelope

However, I would make this bet with you- Benson Henderson will not successfully defend his title 2 more times unless he faces Donald Cerrone after Pettis

Who would you see beating benson though? and for the record, i don't think cerrone would be a problem for henderson, again.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]