MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Ban on MMA sought in Canada   [View Full Version]
emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

NIAGARA FALLS, Ontario -- The Canadian Medical Association is calling for a ban on mixed martial arts in Canada.

Delegates at the annual meeting voted Wednesday to have the doctors group seek a government ban on the sport.

The vote came after often contentious debate among 250 doctors at the meeting in Niagara Falls.

Those in favor of banning the sport say it puts fighters at risk of severe head trauma and other injuries that could have lifelong effects.

They argue that unlike sports such as hockey and skiing, the intent of mixed martial arts is to incapacitate one's opponent.

Seven provinces in Canada sanction mixed martial arts prize fighting. The Ontario government recently changed its stance and will allow mixed martial arts in 2011.

LINK

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

I really doubt that this will happen.

king_katool » Posted 3/8/08 3:32:00PM

on topic, I hope this doesn't happen as Ontario JUST made it legal, in alrdy counting the days till next march

AchillesHeel » Posted 2/3/07 10:04:00AM

The article says there was "often contentious debate among 250 doctors." I'm curious what the doctors opposing the ban had to say.

JimiMak » Posted 1/24/07 9:31:00PM

Leave it to the Canadians. lol

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

The argument they are making is completely absurd. If hockey, football, ect. have just as many injuries than they are just as dangerous. What does the intent of play (or method of winning) have to do with the safety record? Look at it by the numbers. If over a finite number of years boxing, hockey, and football have a comparable number of injuries than they are comparably dangerous.

scooter19820 » Posted 6/22/07 1:13:00AM

Posted by Aether

I really doubt that this will happen.

I'm with you. I just think there is simply to much money to be made for a dramatic ban. Canadians really support MMA and would surely have a lot to say if a ban were to happen.

machodog76 » Posted 6/26/07 10:37:00PM

If preventing head trauma one of the primary reasons for the proposed ban where does that leave boxing? Is boxing legal on Canada? I assume it is but I really don't know.

Franklinfan47 » Posted 5/20/07 4:03:00PM

on topic, Im with ya bro. To have this nonsense happen when Ontario is just starting to regulate would be a dam shame. March cant come soon enough.

Gogoplatapus » Posted 7/24/09 6:01:00PM

On topic, CMA has had similar stances in regards to Alpine Skiing and snowboarding in the past.

It just sucks that Ontario just got passed, and Saskatchewan is trying now. This doesn't help.

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Let's chill with the insults, folks. I just had to clean up quite a few posts in this thread. Remember what mommy used to say...if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

BeeR » Posted 6/28/09 1:36:00PM

more people get seriously injured snowboarding or skiing every winter the any other sport.

FACT.

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

All those politicians need to do is look at the $$ brought in by the few major events they've had there and I guarantee you they'll change their minds.

Svartorm » Posted 1/24/07 8:41:00PM

Posted by machodog76

If preventing head trauma one of the primary reasons for the proposed ban where does that leave boxing? Is boxing legal on Canada? I assume it is but I really don't know.

Quebec has two of the best boxers in the world in their respective weights (Lucian Bute and Jean Pascal), but I can't think of any Canadian boxers outside of Quebec. Could just be a coincidence or lack of popularity.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Gogoplatapus » Posted 7/24/09 6:01:00PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by machodog76

Quebec has two of the best boxers in the world in their respective weights (Lucian Bute and Jean Pascal), but I can't think of any Canadian boxers outside of Quebec. Could just be a coincidence or lack of popularity.

Moliter would be the only one I could name, besides Gatti.

Oh Gattis from Quebec too I think.

[View Full Version of this Page]