MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Ricardo Almeida Will Choke Out Anyone From Matt Hughes To His Own Momma   [View Full Version]
DCRage » Posted 8/3/07 12:38:00PM

Yes, he actually said that he would choke out his own mother. Just part of his "nothing personal, it's just business" take on his upcoming UFC 117 match with Hughes. "People say that he’s slowed down—and he’s had some hiccups here and there—but at welterweight he’s really only lost to Georges St-Pierre. His fight with Thiago Alves wasn’t really at welterweight. I’m watching video on this guy and watching his fights and I’m thinking like, what are all of these people watching. It’s MMA; when you win, you’re the greatest and when you lose, you’re done. It just so happens that he has beaten a couple of guys from my team—actually, I felt that Matt Serra won his fight, but hey, I’m biased. I was in the corner with Renzo [at UFC 112] and it was very emotional to see the way that it ended, so I asked Joe Silva for that fight right away and they gave me my wish. It’s just extra motivation, but whether I like or dislike Matt Hughes doesn’t really make a difference. If it was my mother in there, I’d be trying to choke her out and I expect nothing less from my opponent."

Article

BMF » Posted 1/15/07 11:05:00AM

Classy

machodog76 » Posted 6/26/07 10:37:00PM

I don't see anything wrong with any of these statements. I don't think he's going to choke his mom any time soon. He's just saying it's just business.

jay98107 » Posted 1/24/07 6:50:00PM

Posted by machodog76

I don't see anything wrong with any of these statements. I don't think he's going to choke his mom any time soon. He's just saying it's just business.

Exactly, it's just a joke

ChokeUout » Posted 6/28/07 1:48:00PM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by machodog76

Agreed. Kinda surprized people are taking this out of context....

Whatever though. I just cannot make my mind up on who will win this. DUnno if almedia can take this down. If he can, he'll win, but I dunno if he can. I think Hughes CAN take Almedia down, but I dunno if he can advoid the submissions of Almedia. If He can, he'll win.

THe Stand-up game is anyone's guess. Hughes Outstruck Gracie, but that's not saying much. Never seen much from Almedia from a Striking standpoint.

Anyone have a suggestion on a pick with this one?

RyanC » Posted 8/25/09 5:08:00PM

Posted by ChokeUout

Posted by jay98107

Posted by machodog76

Agreed. Kinda surprized people are taking this out of context....

Whatever though. I just cannot make my mind up on who will win this. DUnno if almedia can take this down. If he can, he'll win, but I dunno if he can. I think Hughes CAN take Almedia down, but I dunno if he can advoid the submissions of Almedia. If He can, he'll win.

THe Stand-up game is anyone's guess. Hughes Outstruck Gracie, but that's not saying much. Never seen much from Almedia from a Striking standpoint.

Anyone have a suggestion on a pick with this one?

Hughes is a tough SOB and experienced as hell, and is always a cardio machine. . . . for me this makes him difficult to pick against in a fight that he should be able to control. If he wants it to stay on the feet Almeida might not be able to get him down, and if he wants to put Almeida on his back and pound on him he should be able to do so as long as he doesn't get careless. He could get tapped, but wrestling has been trumping BJJ quite a lot lately, and Hughes is pretty proficient at defending submissions.

We did just see Fabricio Werdum do the unthinkable though. . . .

c-dub » Posted 7/21/10 11:56:00AM

I think if matt can keep the fight standing almeida will b in trouble. Almeidas ground game is nasty dont know if matt can avoid submission attemps if this fight goes 2 the ground. i dont think it would b very smart 4 matt 2 takedown almeida and end up in his gaurd. because almeida is sick off of his back i think the only way matt can pull off the win is 2 keep it on the feet and pick almeida apart.

Wallass » Posted 10/7/08 5:39:00PM

I think this is a bad fight for Hughes as Almeida has looked good at welterweight while Hughes hasnt been as on in his last four ights as he has been in the past.

whardin19 » Posted 7/25/07 9:08:00PM

Yeah Matt Hughes hasn't bee on...lol! He just destroyed Ricardo's coach in his last fight. Never been truly impressed with Almeida. Hughes will stop Almeidas takedowns and win this one with his own GnP in the 2nd round.

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Matt's jiu jitsu from the top is as good as Almeida's. He might not be as good off his back (which is where both BJ Penn and GSP were able to submit him) but it's has been a long time since he was submitted by Dennis Hallman and caught in a triangle by Carlos Newton, hell it's been a long time since BJ tapped him. He's improved his submissions and submission defense over the years. He's a black belt despite lacking a 'black'--'belt'.

Grappling and jiu jitsu is Hughes' strongest asset. He'll pick where the fight goes and I'll be pretty surprised if Almeida can submit Hughes off his back.

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

Matt's jiu jitsu from the top is as good as Almeida's. He might not be as good off his back (which is where both BJ Penn and GSP were able to submit him) but it's has been a long time since he was submitted by Dennis Hallman and caught in a triangle by Carlos Newton, hell it's been a long time since BJ tapped him. He's improved his submissions and submission defense over the years. He's a black belt despite lacking a 'black'--'belt'.

Grappling and jiu jitsu is Hughes' strongest asset. He'll pick where the fight goes and I'll be pretty surprised if Almeida can submit Hughes off his back.

I agree with most of this, and dont feel like nitpicking over the little details

But... i think Almeida is one of the few Elite(and i use that word rarely) bjj guys out there with very good takedowns. I wouldnt be surprised if Almeida ended up on top at any point.

All around, i think Almeida is the much better striker and can pull off magic from his back and from the top position. I think Almeida wins this via being more well rounded and highly dangerous from the spot Hughes prefers.

machodog76 » Posted 6/26/07 10:37:00PM

Hughes is not the same fighter he used to be, and in his prime he won most fights by being the bigger stronger guy which will not be the case against Almeida. He's lost his drive in my opinion, every few months I come across an interview where he says he doesn't know how many fights he has left. When fighters start talking like that their days at the top are over. Almedia takes this one I think.

MaxOne » Posted 7/26/07 3:12:00PM

Posted by BMF

Classy

so, you think that if he was matched up against his mom he should let her win?
that'd basically be throwing a fight and i can't respect that.

BigBadAl » Posted 6/18/09 8:26:00AM

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by BMF

Classy

so, you think that if he was matched up against his mom he should let her win?
that'd basically be throwing a fight and i can't respect that.

Everyone knows momma always wins......Not even worth getting into.

[View Full Version of this Page]