MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Regretful Hunt Sees UFC as Last Chance   [View Full Version]
ncordless » Posted 4/8/07 11:09:00PM

In a pair of high-top Air Jordans and matching basketball shorts, an unshaven, 290-pound Mark Hunt doesn't seem like any kind of combat sports star. Barely even a bouncer, really.

"If I'd trained as hard as some of the guys out here, I probably wouldn't be sitting here right now," Hunt laments. "I'd be at a different level of fighting.

"I just used up my time. I squandered it," he shrugs.

Despite his nonchalance, he seems genuinely filled with regret.

Hunt may have won the 2001 K-1 World Grand Prix and he may own MMA wins over Wanderlei Silva and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, but "The Oceania Super Fighter" hasn't won a fight of any kind in more than four years. He's racked up five straight MMA losses, and in an ignominious K-1 return in April 2008, he was knocked out by a spinning back kick to the guts from heavyweight kingpin Semmy Schilt.

Yet, in spite of his recent failures, the 36-year-old Hunt will get one last chance for redemption, and on the biggest stage imaginable.

link

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

I'm honestly rooting for Hunt. He always brought it and most definitely was one of the true iron chinned legends from the late 90's to early 2000's era.

If you put him in there in a standup battle he could surprise some people.

Dasklown » Posted 6/21/07 6:02:00PM

I'm also very excited to see this fight and am rooting for Hunt. It's pretty crazy to see how many people are writing him off. I know he's had a string of losses lately but check out the guys he's lost to:

Josh Barnett - 26-5-0
Fedor Emelianeko - 31-2-0
Alistair Overeem - 33-11-0
Melvin Manhoef - 24-8-1
Gegard Mousasi - 29-3-1

These are all top level guys that have been training most of their lives. Not to mention he does have some notable wins in his career, especially the split decision victory over Cro cop which is one of my favourite mma fights of all time!

DosBox » Posted 12/30/08 7:15:00PM

I dont see either making weight; if Hunt doesnt drop him early this could be an awkward fight to watch the longer it lasts.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

Mark Hunt, damn I got some good K-1 memories, I think it's a very winnable fight if he comes in at 265 and trains his ass off, but I'll be rooting for him so we can see him fight Berry.

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

ill be pulling for the guy, i remember him winning the GP like it was yesterday and at that point it looked like he would be one of the top K-1 guys for years to come. hes in the same category as randleman to me, a guy that could have left a much better legacy had he some some things differently in his career just because he had a lot of natural talent.

StriderXero » Posted 9/2/07 3:37:00PM

i will root for Hunt against anyone in the UFC's heavyweight division. i hope Hunt makes some noise. Hunt is awesome

[View Full Version of this Page]