MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Lyoto Machida Will Be Back And Stronger Than Ever   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
DCRage » Posted 8/3/07 12:38:00PM

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida arrived in Brazil and was welcomed by fans at the airport in Para. Smiling and being a gentleman as usual, Machida handed out autographs and took pictures with fans. Chinzo Machida – brother and cornerman - spoke to Jornal do Para that Machida’s clan was ready to face off any adversary and didn’t jump on the bandwagon of people who consider the instant rematch unfair for the karateca. Fabiola Machida – The Dragon’s wife – revealed that her husband and is upset but calm because that result was fight business. The good news is Lyoto doesn’t need to undergo any surgery on his face and will be back to the camping in two months, stronger than ever.

Article

BigIP » Posted 4/19/08 6:24:00PM

I'm glad to hear he will not require surgery. I can't wait for his next fight. I feel he was pressured into being too aggressive in Shogan 2. He needs to go back to his old style and he will be successful. I would like to see him fight Forrest as his first fight back. They are both nursing injuries right now and could be available in a couple of months.

isk » Posted 12/5/07 12:38:00PM

I think Shogun just found some flaws in Machida's game. Shogun pointed out that Machida drops his hands when he defends leg kicks, but this also happens when he launches into flying knees and such. That's a Fedor/Arlovski knockout waiting to happen - harder to pull off because Machida has better timing and tends to start those flying knees from closer up, but it's still an opportunity for an overhand left/right counter since he stays relatively low and aims for the body.

I won't be overly surprised if Machida comes back strong, learns to keep his hands up more and wins some decisive matches on the way to another title run. This is what the best lifelong martial artists do. But I also won't be surprised if Machida stays relatively stagnant. He's at that midpoint in age where he's still young but already has a lot of well-trained habits and techniques that would be difficult to break.

We'll see what happens. For the present, Shogun has solved the riddle most of us were unable to, and he & his camp deserve all the credit for that.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

I like the sound of Forrest vs Machida, I think Forrest matches up pretty well with Machida, it would also give Forest the chance to become a contender again. I like how people are coming out of the woodwork and calling Machida overrated, the last I checked Shogun wasn't worthy of a fight with Machida, LOL !

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

I just can't wait to see how many people jump of the hype train. I'm expecting a wave of questioning the level of competition he faced and picking apart his style, pointing out all of the 'flaws' that everyone said didn't exist.

Machida is still an amazing top of the food chain fighter and I don't expect anything less than hm tearing through top competition on his way back to the title.

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

Posted by bjj1605

I just can't wait to see how many people jump of the hype train. I'm expecting a wave of questioning the level of competition he faced and picking apart his style, pointing out all of the 'flaws' that everyone said didn't exist.

Machida is still an amazing top of the food chain fighter and I don't expect anything less than hm tearing through top competition on his way back to the title.

Well I agree with everything except the "on the way back to the title" part. I don't think he will ever beat Shogun. I do think he will beat everyone else though.

BigIP » Posted 4/19/08 6:24:00PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by bjj1605

Well I agree with everything except the "on the way back to the title" part. I don't think he will ever beat Shogun. I do think he will beat everyone else though.

Well he already beat shogan in their first fight (yes I know it was close). He beat Shogon when he fought using his style and he lost when he tried to get overly aggressive to impress Dana. I also think he was winning the second fight until he fell down (not sure if Shogan punch really hurt him) and Shogan landed on top in mount raining punches. He has to forget about winning the middle distance and continue to dominate from up close and far away.

isk » Posted 12/5/07 12:38:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

I guess. I mean, you'll get the fairweather fans for sure, but until the Shogun fight I didn't really see Machida's critical flaws. Occasional lack of aggression was known, and we still don't know how good he is off his back since his base, sprawl, and clinch game are so strong at 205.

The Evans KO impressed me a great deal, and I was pretty much drinking the kool-aid when Rogan declared this the Machida era. I saw some interesting matchups and title defenses down the road, but I didn't see any huge threats. Most of the questions had been answered, and I felt like his biggest challenge would be against Rampage (still favored Machida since he's been working on a striking discipline for much longer) or Minotoro (for much the same reasons, but still a very worthy opponent).

Now, to put it in another light, I'm looking at Machida's high Standing Strikes/Ground Strikes defense in the Undisputed 2010 demo and wondering if it'll be dropped a bit by the retail launch. Machida's got a better chin than guys like Goulet or Franklin, but after a few solid shots on the ground he had nothing on his mind but the lights in the Bell Center. He is still ridiculously evasive and a superior striker to most at 205, but his chin may have been given more credit because to this point it wasn't really tested.

I'm not writing off Machida as a future contender at all - I think the ball is 100% in his court, and if he puts on a few dominant performances after this I definitely think he should get another title shot. The point is that Shogun and his trainers saw something even most experts did not, and I think it's less about hopping war wagons and more about dispassionate recognition of a subtle but notable flaw.

seanfu » Posted 11/4/07 10:24:00AM

Posted by sbulldavid

I like the sound of Forrest vs Machida, I think Forrest matches up pretty well with Machida, it would also give Forest the chance to become a contender again. I like how people are coming out of the woodwork and calling Machida overrated, the last I checked Shogun wasn't worthy of a fight with Machida, LOL !

First of all Forrest matches up horribly, second of all Shogun didn't earn a title shot, third of all Machida wasn't overratted, he was overhyped, he got caught, which could very well happen in a third fight.

Shogun's just a really good style advantage.

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

Posted by BigIP

Posted by Aether

Posted by bjj1605

Well he already beat shogan in their first fight (yes I know it was close). He beat Shogon when he fought using his style and he lost when he tried to get overly aggressive to impress Dana. I also think he was winning the second fight until he fell down (not sure if Shogan punch really hurt him) and Shogan landed on top in mount raining punches. He has to forget about winning the middle distance and continue to dominate from up close and far away.

He didn't beat him, he got a win as a result of bad judging. Shogun clearly won both fights.

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

I think questioning Machida's chin is a little premature. He got hit on the temple by a huge overhand right as he was lunging in. It was obviously something that Rua had planned based on tape and drilled 1,000 + times. After falling his was mounted and took several flush and powerful strikes from a guy with knockout power. Who isn't gonna get knocked out by that?

I wouldn't count him out in a rematch with Shogun either. I'd favor Shogun the third time around, but I think Machida still has a very legit shot of beating him.

BlueSkiesBurn » Posted 6/1/08 3:18:00PM

Posted by Aether

He didn't beat him, he got a win as a result of bad judging. Shogun clearly won both fights.

Aether, we need to work on this. He beat him. It's a L for Shogun and W for Machida. End of story. What does Dana say every damn time, EVERYONE say it with me, "don't let it go into the hands of the judges." It's that simple. Shogun had 5 rounds to end that first fight and he couldn't do it.

The one thing that bugs me more than anything are the excuses for losses. "The Saints didn't beat the Vikings, Brett Favre lost it for them," "The only reason Shogun lost to Forrest is because he wasn't 100%," "The only reason USC beat ND in 2005 is because Reggie Bush cheated" so on and so forth. It's old for me. Shogun lost to Machida just like he lost to Forrest. If Shogun wasn't 100% he shouldn't have taken the fight. Fact remains, he took the fight and got beat. DONE. Shogun should have finished Machida, he didn't, the judges gave it to Machida. DONE. If the Vikings don't like the calls the Saints got, they should have beat them in regulation, DONE. Same with ND vs. USC.

Ordep » Posted 7/8/07 9:23:00PM

The only reason Machida got the decision in the first fight is because he was the champion. If a third fight go exactly the same way again Shogun will win. So, I dont think Machida is going to beat him "using his style again". Shogun will be champ for long, he's getting his groove back.

Meanrighthand88 » Posted 5/3/09 8:51:00PM

Glad to hear that Machida won't need surgery on his face. This will make his return that much quicker.

This sport has tons of fair-weather fans and it's just something you have to get used to. Everyone loses a fight in MMA, and when it happens, only the true fans stay by the fighters' sides. Machida will absolutely get criticized for his style, his fight competition and of course his chin. This sport has more fair-weather fans than any other. The guy went undefeated, finally gets his first loss and so many fans have already jumped off of his bandwagon. The worst part about it is that they'll be right back on as soon as Machida begins to make his comeback.

BlueSkiesBurn » Posted 6/1/08 3:18:00PM

Why does everyone keep mentioning Machida's chin? He never took a shot in the chin. Shogun drilled him in the temple to put him on the mat and then OBVIOUSLY in the eye to put him out.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]