MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Manny Gamburyan more than ready to face WEC featherweight champ Jose Aldo   [View Full Version]
runningman08 » Posted 8/9/08 12:37:00AM

Nothing would deter Manny Gamburyan.

The WEC featherweight told UFC/WEC matchmaker Joe Silva that WEC 48 opponent Mike Brown would have to put him asleep or break a limb to stop the fight. Short of that, there would be no letup, he said.

Gamburyan never came close to that type of danger and stopped Brown cold this past Saturday with a short, powerful right hand that likely set a featherweight title shot in motion.

Full Article -Here-

BlueSkiesBurn » Posted 6/1/08 3:18:00PM

I really like Manny but I don't think he can beat Aldo. Then again, most people didn't think he could beat Brown. I'm glad he's getting his shot, though.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Manny should just bull rush aldo or something

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

Manny has a better chance than many, but that is still a very slim chance. Manny is similar to Matt Serra in his stand-up but he doesn't really have as much knockout power, it's very possible that his technique has improved and that power has developed but I wouldn't count on it until he knocks a couple guys out. He's a guy that can get the fight to the ground without shooting for it and that makes him a threat but we really haven't seen how Aldo's BJJ translates to MMA but I would think that it's good enough to get back to his feet, and Gamburyan does have that bum shoulder so that could come into play again if he does get Aldo down.

And eat a knee like Rolando Perez? I'm down for that. Another KOTN

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

no big suprise
glad to see a ex ufc fighter get a title shot
good move for him to drop the weight

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

Aldo will smash Manny hands down

TheGodfather1024 » Posted 4/12/09 2:44:00PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I really like Manny but I don't think he can beat Aldo. Then again, most people didn't think he could beat Brown. I'm glad he's getting his shot, though.

I agree, I like Manny a lot and dropping to 145 was a great move for him but he doesn't have the skills Brown does.

Caesarrrr » Posted 3/29/10 1:38:00PM

Manny won't win, but I don't see aldo going for a finish unless Manny is asking for it.

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Posted by sbulldavid

Manny has a better chance than many, but that is still a very slim chance. Manny is similar to Matt Serra in his stand-up but he doesn't really have as much knockout power, it's very possible that his technique has improved and that power has developed but I wouldn't count on it until he knocks a couple guys out. He's a guy that can get the fight to the ground without shooting for it and that makes him a threat but we really haven't seen how Aldo's BJJ translates to MMA but I would think that it's good enough to get back to his feet, and Gamburyan does have that bum shoulder so that could come into play again if he does get Aldo down.

With a fighter as short and thick as Manny Gamburyan, power will always be there. Most accomplished fighters know how to avoid it though: do not stand close and in front of him.

I think this fight is going to be ugly for Manny Gamburyan though. The plan Mike Brown had, wherein he would keep his distance and chip away at Gamburyan to avoid the huge power inside, will in all likelihood be performed by Aldo perfectly.

I can see rounds where Manny Gamburyan does not land a single strike on Jose Aldo.

Manny has proven his worth but he's still not gonna come close to beating Aldo, IMO. Aldo doesn't have to worry about the same things that Brown does because Aldo doesn't rely on takedowns to get the job done. He can comfortably put away Manny on his feet and then go to the ground after several of those leg kicks take away Manny's power.

BustedKnuckle » Posted 9/2/09 5:48:00PM

Aldo is going to whopp Manny in embaressing fashion. I like Manny as a fighter, but Aldo is too fast. His strikes are well above that of Gamburyan's. And Manny will have to engage him to get him down!!!???? Not a good deal. just ask Cub Swanson!

I don't think Cub was in that fight long enough to ask him much of anything.

[View Full Version of this Page]