MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Who Wins?
Forum Opinion Poll
Randy Couture 51 80%
James Toney 13 20%

Randy Couture vs. James Toney targeted for August's UFC 118 in Boston   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
runningman08 » Posted 8/9/08 12:37:00AM

In a match likely to re-ignite the "boxing vs. MMA" debate, a bout between 10-time UFC champion Randy Couture and former boxing champion James Toney is targeted for the UFC's first trip to Boston.

Fighters Only was the first to report the possibility of the pairing, and MMAjunkie.com today confirmed that while the matchup is far from official, it's in the works for a headlining spot at the event.

Although not officially announced, UFC 118 is expected to take place Aug. 28 at the TD Garden in Boston.

Full Article -Here-

chickmagnet » Posted 7/5/07 2:53:00PM

Haha Randy should take him down rather quick and put a beating on him. Who knows though, Toney packs a serious punch.

NatedawgThaM » Posted 6/25/07 5:46:00PM

I LOVE THIS FIGHT!!!! best first fight for Toney IMO. Win-win for the UFC. It's not to big a test for toney, and if he wins its not like he proved MMA is so inferior to boxing. At least he's going to earn his title shot. I got Toney knocking Randy out though. bad match up for Randy because it's his thing to get in close to close range and that will be his downfall as Toney will catch him coming in IMO.

seanfu » Posted 11/4/07 10:24:00AM

I seriously think Randy's gonna get knocked out first shot landed

Bowen50 » Posted 6/21/07 12:42:00PM

Randy is going to obliterate Toney. one takedown and this fight is done. Couture via ground and pound TKO.

MisterFreeze » Posted 4/18/09 4:51:00PM

Umm.... How does Randy Couture qualify as a 10 time UFC champion???

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Umm.... How does Randy Couture qualify as a 10 time UFC champion???

Title defenses included maybe?

This fight has two obvious outcomes. I trust Randy Couture to grab for a double-leg within 5 seconds, though, so I'll take that one.

BlueSkiesBurn » Posted 6/1/08 3:18:00PM

I think with the punch drunk factor in this fight Toney can catch him and knock him out. Couture can take some shots, sure, but not on that level. One solid punch from Toney and this is over.

tallica62 » Posted 6/22/07 2:18:00AM

Randy easy domination or a Sylvia/Mercer outcome...boxers one hitter quitter

im gonna go with randy on this one though

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Meh. Where's the "Who cares?" option in the poll?

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

im excited to see toney in the octagon, theres been plenty of hype leading up to his debut and that was before he had an opponent, this should really get funny now. i dont know who else they should have thrown in there with him, to me randy was the best choice due to the age and accomplishments of both guys. this should be more fun than ali vs gorilla monsoon at least.

Boo_Radley21 » Posted 7/19/07 12:28:00AM

Pretty interesting fight, but I'm pretty nervous about Toney catching Couture on the chin. Randy's smart though and should come in with the plan to take down and dominate, not try and stand with him.

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Randy's smart though and should come in with the plan to take down and dominate, not try and stand with him.

It's the most obvious plan in the history of MMA. If you stand with Toney, you're a dumbass and you deserve to get your block knocked off.

gsp69 » Posted 1/10/10 5:51:00AM

randy shud take toney down within seconds of the 1st round start.... toney will def not wanna fight from ther and in the scramble 2get up gets GnP KO'd!!

icantthinkofanything » Posted 1/16/09 11:38:00PM

Randy will win this fight. I knew this fight was coming but it could't be announced cuz Tito and TUF. I expect Randy to expose Toney' as a washed up boxer without mma skills IMO.

Sure Toney still has one punch ko power, but to depend on that in an mma fight is a bad idea. Toney should be trying to learn mma and takedown defense etc. From what I hear Toney is not going to the big camps and sparring with wrestlers and mma strikers.

After Randy puts a beating on Toney, maybe Toney's 2nd fight (if that happens) will be better, once he sees that mma is nothing to underestimate. even if your a former boxing champ, mma is a dangerous and difficult sport with many ways to win or lose, unlike boxing.

Randy will push him into the cage, take him down, mount and choke out Toney imo.

Go Captain America

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]